139: Side by side

May 19th - Prompt: There's a place for us

-----------

So if you feel like giving up cause you don't fit in down here...
...Close your eyes and take my hand.

"It's been such a long day already." Edmund complained, glaring at his older brother as they headed down the corridor.

Peter raised an eyebrow. "I don't know why you're glaring at me like that." He said. "It's not my fault."

Edmund sighed. "Perhaps this King thing is gonna be harder than I thought it would be." He muttered. "We've had so much to do, and that's just in a day!"

"I'm sure not every day will be like this." Peter told him with a small shrug. "They wouldn't put that on your shoulders anyway, you're only twelve."

Edmund glanced at him. "You're only sixteen." He pointed out.

Peter smiled gently. "And I'm sure they won't put too much on my shoulders Ed." He reassured him. "But what's fine for me might be too much for you, don't forget that."

Edmund nodded slowly. "I won't." He said quietly, before they reached the door.

Peter opened it and stepped inside, and the two quickly spotted the group of people inside.

It came as a shock to Edmund that seeing other humans was weird, he hadn't seen a single one besides his siblings since coming to Narnia around two or three weeks ago, and he hadn't even known they existed here. But he had been told that other countries existed, where humans did indeed exist, like Archenland, which was where these people were from. They weren't the leaders of that country as such, but apparently they were rather important people.

Edmund felt slightly uncomfortable all of a sudden, suddenly having the thought of what if they knew what he'd done? Surely word had gotten out of Narnia that the witch had been defeated and how, which would surely include his betrayal.

He didn't know why he suddenly had these thoughts, but with his betrayal so fresh in his mind, it made sense... and he didn't like it one bit.

"Thank you for agreeing to come."

Edmund had to bite back a smirk at the tone of his brother's voice, it was different to his usual tone, but he supposed he'd be hearing a lot more of it now that they were definitely going to have to meet with more important people.

"King Peter." One said, standing and bowing to him, a smile on his face. "Thank you for inviting us."

Again, Edmund had to bite back a smirk.

What with being so new to the whole monarch thing, Peter definitely had not invited them, the poor boy hadn't a clue what he was doing, let alone know to make friends with neibouring countries. No, it was Orious and a few others who had sent word to them, not Peter himself.

"No problem." Peter said slowly.

After a moment the man turned to Edmund. He seemed to hesitate for a moment, before smiling, although the smile did look a little tight. "Prince Edmund." He said, bowing his head. "We are glad you could join us as well."