164: One wrong step

June 13th - Prompt: You're gonna be okay

---------

"We should probably think about heading home in a minute." Peter called back to Edmund. "I reckon dinner will be ready soon."

"What we having?" Edmund asked from up the tree he was currently climbing.

"Dunno." Peter said with a shrug, staring at his book. "And will you please get down from there."

Edmund sighed. "You're no fun." He muttered.

Peter raised an eyebrow, but didn't look back. "Well, you won't be having fun if you fall will you?" He said.

"I'm not going to fall." Edmund said firmly. "I know how to climb a tree, I'm seven years old."

Peter raised an eyebrow, still reading as he spoke. "Doesn't matter how old you are," He pointed out. "One wrong step or old branch could lead to you-"

He stopped dead though when he heard a loud thud, followed by a crack and a pain filled scream.

Swinging around, he was terrified to see Edmund laying on his stomach on the ground, not moving.

"Ed?" Peter murmured, and when his brother didnt respond he dropped his book and ran.

Falling to his knees beside Edmund, he quickly rolled him over, and when Edmund was on his back he began sobbing.

Peter was glad he was awake, but extremely worried because of the crack he'd heard. "Ed, Ed listen." He said quickly. "What hurts?"

Edmund choked on a sob, and it took him a little while to get an answer out, but eventually he let Peter know that it was his arm that was causing the most pain.

Fearing the worst, Peter gently took hold of his arm, but pulled away as if burnt when Edmund cried out, more tears streaming down his cheeks.

Peter swallowed hard, thinking hard.

Two seconds later he set about sitting Edmund up against a tree, and after many cries of pain from his little brother he managed it. He placed Edmunds arm across his chest and told him not to move it under any circumstances.

"What - What's happened?" Edmund choked out, breathing heavy.

Peter sighed. "You've broken your arm Eddy." He breathed.

Edmund stared at him, vision blurry from tears. "Broken?" He choked.

Peter nodded slowly. "I need to run home and get Mum and Dad." He said slowly, suddenly very glad his house was literally a one minute walk down the street.

Edmund looked as though he was trying to process everything, but his arm hurt way too much to think straight.

"Ed look at me." Peter said firmly, waiting until Edmund did so. "You're gonna be okay."

Edmund stared at him for a while, before nodding slowly. "Alright." He choked.

Peter nodded slowly back, before taking a deep breath. He pulled off his jumper and wrapped it carefully around his brother. "I will be back in two minutes ago?" He said, voice shaking. "Two minutes."

Edmund swallowed hard. "Will I have to go hospital?" He asked, sounding scared.

"Yeah." Peter breathed. "But I promise it's nothing to worry about."

Edmund nodded a little. "Okay." He murmured.

Peter smiled gently, wiping the tears off Edmunds cheeks before standing and running.

He ran all the way home, and when he got his Dad they ran all the way back, Edmund looking up when they returned.

"Hey Edmund." His Dad said gently, kneeling in front of him. "Peter said you had a little fall?"

Edmund nodded slowly. "It - It hurts." He choked.

"I know, I know." His Dad breathed. "Your Mum is gonna get an ambulance okay?"

"Yeah." Edmund whispered in reply as Peter knelt beside him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Just be brave okay?" His Dad said gently, smiling. "You can do that can't you?"

Edmund bit his lip. "I can try." He whispered.

Peter placed a kiss to the top of his brother's head. "I know you can be." He said. "You've been brave so far."

Edmund smiled weakly at him. "Sorry for not listening to you." He murmured.

Peter sighed a little. "Don't worry." He breathed. "Although next time I tell you to climb down from a tree what are you gonna do?"

Edmund was silent for a moment before smirking. "Not listen to you." He said.

Peter rolled his eyes playfully. "You're lucky I can't shake some sense into you right now."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆