52: We'll get you home

February 21st - Prompt: Battle

------------

The battle had been won, but not without casualties.

Peter stared out across the field, taking in every wounded soldier, every person tending to the wounded, every person sat on the ground resting and every person helping round up the rest of the enemy, and whilst he was still devastated at the losses, he still couldn't help but be relieved it was over.

"Victory I guess."

He turned to his side when Edmund walked slowly over, standing beside him and leaning on his sword, clearly exhausted.

Peter nodded. "Yeah." He breathed.

Edmund smiled sadly. "No war comes without losses Peter." He murmured. "As awful as that is."

Peter sighed. "Yeah I know." He breathed. "I just wish there wasn't a battle in the first place."

Edmund nodded in agreement. "We all do Pete." He breathed. "We all do."

Peter watched him for a while before he frowned. "You look rather pale Ed." He mumbled, sounding slightly concerned.

Edmund raised an eyebrow. "I do?" He asked, but Peter could already tell he was leaning heavily against his sword.

"Are you injured?" He asked firmly. "And don't even bother lying, if you do you know I'll find out myself anyway."

Edmund stared at him, before sighing and placing a hand to his side, bringing it back covered in blood.

Peter's face fell. "Oh Ed." He choked, immediately helping Edmund to sit down.

"It's not too bad." His younger brother sighed. "I think it's just a gash, someone threw me against a rock."

Peter looked slightly alarmed by this, before undoing Edmunds belt and lifting his battle tunic and chain mail, sighing at the red, raw skin surrounding a wound. He frowned after a moment though. "That was caused by a knife." He muttered, glaring up at Edmund and only now noticing the small slit in his tunic.

Edmund sighed. "That was yeah." He breathed. "The grazed skin though was thanks to being thrown against a rock, honest."

Peter shook his head slowly. "I reckon you'll be okay until we get back to Cair." He breathed. "It's not too deep."

Edmund nodded. "Yeah I know, the healers can patch me up." He said.

"Or-"

"No Peter, the cordial is out of the question so don't even bother." Edmund muttered, before wincing.

"You good?" Peter asked, sounding worried.

"I'll live Peter don't worry." Edmund breathed, shifting position before wincing again.

"Lay down." Peter said gently, not really giving him much of a choice anyway as he grabbed his shoulders and lay him gently on the ground.

"Ow." Edmund groaned, glaring at his older brother.

"Sorry." Peter sighed, looking up when Orious walked over.

"Do you need anything your majesties?" He asked, bowing his head.

Peter thought for a second. "Can you find me a cloth to stop the bleeding?" He asked.

"Certainly." Orious replied. "We should be ready to head back to Cair within an hour or so."

"Is there any chance someone can take Edmund now-"

"No Peter, I'm fine to wait an hour." Edmund cut him off. "As you said, it's not too deep."

Peter didn't look too happy but agreed eventually, waiting for Orious to bring him a cloth before pressing it to his brother's side.

Edmund hissed sharply and gritted his teeth, his fingers digging into the grass below.

"You're okay." Peter choked, running a hand through Edmund's slightly sweaty hair. "Take a deep breath."

Edmund nodded, but didn't say anything in reply to his brother.

"You know, for the best swordfighter in Narnia you sure do get injured a lot." Peter teased.

Edmund was suddenly glaring at him. "Okay, the last battle I was surrounded by ten soldiers!" He defended himself. "No one could fight that many at a time."

"Don't remind me of that day." Peter breathed, horrific images flashing in his minds eyes which he quickly shook away.

"And this time I'll have you know I was trying to help a fox who'd been injured, I tried to move him off the battle field." Edmund explained. "Someone snuck up on me."

Peter smiled sadly. "Of course you were." He breathed. "Why an earth would you be looking out for yourself?"

"Exactly." Edmund said with a tight grin.

Peter sighed. "Just hang in there Ed." He sighed. "We'll get you home in no time."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆