Ch. 74 Assault in the Alley continued

"Um, hey?"

Endeavor's hit had knocked me to the ground, so as I stood up, I took off my heels and tossed them to the side.

There was no time for small talk.

Sorry, Katsuki...

I turned the other way and ran, as fast as I could, down the alley, away from all of them.

Ignoring the tiny cuts in my feet as I ran, I hoped my quirk would heal them quickly and tried to ignore the pain.

And I hoped Katsuki could distract Endeavor long enough for me to get away.

Sorry, Katsuki, I couldn't wait around to see what happened...

I spotted the back of Endeavor's SUV at the end of the alley. It looked like it was still running, and I didn't see the driver standing around anywhere.

Enough screwing around, I decided. I'm getting Shoto myself and getting the fuck out of here. We'll take his dad's car, we'll drive far away, we'll go anywhere, we'll do anything other than continue this.

But as I looked closer, I realized there was someone sitting on the hood of Endeavor's car. It didn't take a genius to recognize the tall young man casually relaxing against the car.

Dabi grinned as I approached.

"Kinda makes you wonder who the real villains actually are, right?" he asked when I was close enough.

"You saw all that?" I asked as I leaned against the car next to him to catch my breath.

Dabi nodded. "I saw enough."

"Thanks for... nothing, I guess."

"Come on... Where are you running off to so fast? Coming home with me? I know a car we could use..."

"No. I'm getting Shoto and getting the hell out of here."

"Solid plan. He won't be needed anymore anyway."

I froze.

"What?" I asked, confused. "What about Shigaraki's plan for Shoto to be the new spokesman for the League?"

Dabi laughed. "You believed his bullshit?"

"Yeah... I.... I did."

"I bet he also fed you some line about villains bringing righteous change to the world, too, huh?"

I stared back at him. That was almost exactly what Shigaraki had said.

"Pretty soon," Dabi said, "little Shoto will be getting his father alone. Then he'll text Kurogiri and the number one hero will be transported to an undisclosed location where Toga awaits. Once she has a blood sample..."

"A blood sample?"

"She'll have a continuous blood supply, as long as they keep him alive at least, and then Toga can assume his life and role as leader of the 'heroes' and get the League all the information it needs."

"Honestly, Toga might actually do a better job."

"Facts."

I shook my head. "But no. No way Shoto agreed to do that. He would never."

"Oh yeah? What if people's lives were in danger? If people Shoto cared about would be hurt or killed if he didn't comply?"

"What are you saying, Dabi?"

Dabi suddenly pushed me back on to the hood of the car, resting on his elbows and hovering inches above me.

"What if, princess," he said, so close that I could hear him breathing, "little Shoto was told that if he didn't do it, that Shigaraki would kill you? What would he do then?"