Ch. 78 Guts and Gore

Taking a look at the guy's gun, my only option was to go with him, figure out where I was, and then make a plan from there.

"Fine. I'm coming. But I want the record to show that I do not like it."

"Thank you," he said, closing his coat and hiding the gun again.

At least this kidnapper was sort of polite.

Where the hell was I? I tried to memorize everything I saw around me, just in case I needed this information later. Trouble was, there wasn't anything remarkable about the building. Honestly, this place looked like a normal office on the outside, but obviously something else was going on.

For starters, this guy had a gun. Were there others with guns here? I knew I could heal, but I didn't know if I could heal from a gun wound.

I definitely didn't want to find out.

We walked down a few hallways and he finally opened the door to what seemed like a fairly normal bedroom.

"You'll be staying here tonight," he told me, "and then he will meet with you in the morning."

"You have to be kidding," I said.

"I am not. We have everything you might need. I'll come back in the morning."

Honestly, it had been a hell of a night, and I didn't have energy to do much more than sleep.

There were some basic clothes in the bedroom, as if they had known I would be there.

In the morning, I was able to shower, put on the fresh clothes, brush my teeth, and look something more like myself.

Looking in the mirror, I noticed that the place where Endeavor had hit me had healed, leaving no trace. The scrapes on my arms and knees were back to normal too.

Someone knocked on the door before slowly opening it. The man from yesterday was there, again in the long coat with the hood up. Now that I had had some time to process everything, I realized how young he looked, with sharp eyebrows and hair to his shoulders.

"We're ready for you now," he said.

"And what does that mean?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"It means he can see you now. As I said yesterday, no one here intends you harm."

"And as I said yesterday, sorry if I don't immediately believe you."

After leading me down too many hallways to count, the man in the coat walked me into a large room where a young man in a dark shirt and gray tie sat behind a desk. He stood up when I entered.

Something about him seemed vaguely familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Welcome," the young man said, walking around his desk toward me.

He wasn't much older than me, but everything, from the way he carried himself to the way he stared at me, made him seem more confident, almost aloof.

Thankfully I knew how to hold my own, even when faced with a man who thought he was in a position of power.

"Who are you and why am I here?" I asked.

The young man came closer, and I could feel his piercing yellow eyes examining me.

"I will have plenty of time for you," his eyes moving up and down my body. "But first, please wait over there," he said, pointing to the side of the room where there was a table and chairs. "We'll talk in a moment."

He walked back around to his desk and sat down.

"Chrono, bring in the next one," he said.

The man who had been with me so far – Chrono was his name apparently – went to the door and escorted in a man who looked like he had seen better days. His face bruised and beaten, his hair was disheveled, his clothes torn.

As soon as he entered the room, the young man took out a mask from his desk and put it on, followed by white gloves.

"Mr. Overhaul," the new man started to say as soon as he entered the room, sounding as if he were about to ask something.

Overhaul? That's a hell of a name.

"Good morning," the young man, Overhaul, interrupted, standing up.

The look in the new man's eyes could only be described as wild with fear.

I looked back and forth between the two. What is going on here? And why am I watching it?

"Where is the money?" Overhaul asked.

"I don't know, Mr. Overhaul."

"I don't repeat myself," Overhaul said, standing up and coming around in front of the man. "So please answer the question."

"Honestly, I don't know, I didn't – "

"It appears you thought you would disrespect our organization," Overhaul interrupted as he took off one of his gloves. It was a statement, not a question.

"No, sir, I – "

But before he could even finish that sentence, Overhaul grabbed the man's arm and blood exploded all over the room.

Wet splatter hit my face, and my arms were suddenly streaked in red droplets of gore.

Hardly able to comprehend what I had just seen, I couldn't take my eyes off my hands, the dark red goo hardening on them as it dried.

He didn't just murder that man; he destroyed him.

I continued to stare at my hands, realizing that they were now shaking.

I didn't even notice that Overhaul was now crouched in front of my chair.

"I know we don't know each other yet," he said calmly, the mask now removed from his face, "but I believe you do know at least one person here."

"No," I stammered, shaking my head to hopefully wake up from this bad dream. "I don't. I promise. I don't know anyone here."

No one I knew would work with such a monster.

"I believe you do. He's the reason why you're here after all. He agreed to work for us if we would help get you out of your current circumstances."

This young man with the piercing yellow eyes, this young man who just murdered, no, exploded, someone right in front of me, motioned for me to turn around.

My whole body now shaking, I turned to look.

And there stood Shinso.