Ch. 99 Don't Get in the Limo!

"I guess I need to be mad at you more often," I said, watching Kirishima scribble some numbers down while I ate lunch. "But don't try that shit again with me, okay?"

"I was only trying to..."

"Nope, not hearing it. My love life is not your business. Get back to work."

One perk of pretending to be mad at Kirishima was that he looked for ways to make it up to me, which was why he was doing my math homework for me during lunch.

Since I had been at Tamaki's last night, I hadn't even started the homework.

Besides, I argued to myself, anything Kirishima put, no matter how wrong it was, was going to be better than me not doing it at all, which was my original plan.

"Y/n?" I realized Shoto was standing next to me. "Can I talk to you?"

"Sure! Don't forget to get a couple wrong so it looks legit," I reminded Kiri before getting up to go with Shoto.

"Only a couple? Uh..."

"What's that about?" Shoto asked. "Is he doing your homework?"

"Yep."

"So you've adjusted to being back at school, it seems," he said as we walked out to the courtyard outside and sat down in the grass.

"Honestly I've hardly thought about school. How about you? Glad to be away from... family?" I couldn't bring myself to say his father's name.

"Y/n... " he said slowly, avoiding my eyes. "Bakugo told me about what happened that night in the alley. I know what a bastard the old man can be. I'm...sorry."

"No. Stop. You have absolutely nothing to apologize for."

"I should have done more. I should have figured out a way to get us out of there. I should have protected you. But in the end, I couldn't even protect myself." He hung his head and wouldn't look at me. "I'm still so ashamed."

"You did the best you could. And it all worked out. I'm safe. You're safe. That's all that matters."

Shoto grinned. "Thank you for saying that. It wasn't all bad, I guess."

My heart raced a little, remembering the way he had looked when he groaned and gripped my hair. "No, it definitely was not."

We continued eating lunch, and even though a few minutes passed without either of us talking, it felt fine. Comfortable even. There are some people you can be quiet with and it's weird. He wasn't one of them.

"Tonight will be my first night staying here over night since everything that happened," Shoto said.

"Oh?"

"It seems I have a new neighbor in the dorm next door."

"Yeah," I cringed, remembering the night of the welcoming party. "I saw that they put Shinso next to you."

"He's never there. Does he go home after school like I did?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "You'll have to ask him about all that yourself though."

"Sorry, I shouldn't have brought him up. We don't have to talk, you know" Shoto said. "I'm okay just sitting here with you, if you are."

"That sounds perfect."

I leaned back on the grass and closed my eyes. No longer in the chaos of the lunchroom, it felt good to be still and quiet. Maybe I needed more of this in my life.

Shoto laid down next to me in the grass.

"This is... nice," he said. "It's nice talking to someone who gets it. Someone who understands."