Ch. 38 Maybe this was a mistake

We were late for class.

Very late.

Suspiciously late, particularly when Katsuki and I both walked in at the same time.

I tried to keep my eyes on the floor as I quickly ran over to my desk, not daring to look around. Katsuki on the other hand practically strutted into the classroom, smugly locking eyes with Shinso before he took his seat.

Mercifully, Aizawa didn't stop teaching to question us. He was explaining the new simulation lesson for the afternoon and the roles everyone would have. 

I glanced at the back of the room where Shinso was sitting next to Shoto. Shinso avoided my eyes but Shoto mouthed, "You okay?" 

I nodded and turned back around. 

"As for our quirkless classmate," Aizawa said, staring straight at me, drawing out every sound in the word 'quirkless', "Y/n, you can go to the shop and pick out whatever support items you want to have."

He didn't have to tell me twice. I hopped up and practically ran out of the classroom. But just as I got to the door I heard Aizawa say, "Shinso, same to you since you don't have a hero costume yet. Go with y/n." 

Is this some kind of pro-hero torture skill, Aizawa? 

I waited outside the door for him to come with me.

In the hall, the moment was weird. Where normally there would have been a closeness between us - holding hands, an arm around my waist - as we walked today Shinso kept his hands in his pockets, and I kept mine to myself too. 

"I'm sorry about earlier," I said quietly without looking at him. 

"Not your fault." 

"But still, I am sorry."  

He didn't respond, but we had almost made it to the shop. 

"Y/n?" 

"Yeah?"

"You look beautiful today." 

My face started to heat up. I knew I was blushing but couldn't help it. "Thank you." 

"And there's something else." 

"What's that?" 

"I miss my friend." 

My heart felt like it might melt into a million little pieces, half of them sad, half of them happy. 

"I miss my friend, too." 

He nodded.  "Let's just get our stuff and go." 

"I thought for sure you had told Aizawa about your quirk," Shoto said to me when I got back. "I just assumed that's how you were added to the class."

"It was... kind of," I admitted. "I just asked that it be kept quiet until I was ready to talk about it. Once I have a better handle on it, then I'll let people know."

Shoto nodded. "It's your decision, certainly. But remember what I said – it's a part of you. There is no shame in it."

"You're too nice," I said, smiling weakly.

Uraraka and Tsu came up to me after class. "Tsu's family has a lake and they're letting us camp out there this weekend. We'll do a bonfire, s'mores, nature walks – do you want to come?"

"Like, purposefully sleep outside?" I looked at them. Did they think that sounded like fun? In my mind, I was thinking about bugs, and sleeping on the hard ground, and being cold. Nope, didn't sound like fun.