Ch. 122 Yes, Sir

"Y/n. The doctor needs to ask you a few questions before we get started this morning."

"Fine," I said, used to this line of questioning by now. We'd been doing this all week.

UA and all of my friends thought I was "sick" in my bed, but no, I'd been here.

Dabi was pissed that I was keeping secrets.

Aizawa was growing suspicious that I was never around.

Shinso was just irritated with me in general, but nothing new there.

Katsuki.... I thought of his text from last week.

I need to see you. I'm not good at writing out stuff like this but I'm going to try. You not being here has made me realize a lot of things. When I'm awake, I want to hang out with you. When you're asleep next to me, I get the best sleep of my life. I can't imagine my life without you, but I have to wonder if you feel the same. Or am I wasting my time?"

I made sure to be in his bed when he came home each day, and that seemed to keep him happy. I hated that he thought I was sick all week, but I knew I couldn't tell him what I was actually doing. He wouldn't understand.

Back in the exam room, I tried to wrap the hospital gown around me tighter since it was so cold.

This was at least the tenth doctor Kai had brought around. Each one did the same thing. They started with a basic physical, asked a bunch of questions, and then spent the next couple hours trying to get blood from me.

We weren't making much progress because each time they poked me with a needle my body automatically healed the spot.

The needle marks healed quickly so no one would have ever known how many times they tried, but I did. I remembered each one.

Today's doctor, an old man with a weird mustache, didn't ask me to run on a treadmill or tell me to touch my toes. Today's doctor seemed to have a different specialty.

Truthfully, something about him gave me the creeps. I crossed my arms over my chest when he looked at me, making sure my hospital gown was tied tightly.

"Are you pregnant or nursing?" the doctor asked, pen in hand as he took notes on his clipboard.

"No."

"Are you sexually active?"

"Yes."

"How many partners have you had in the past year?"

"Uh..." I nervously glanced over to Kai. "Is this really necessary? I don't get why any of this matters."

"Just answer him, darling."

I tried to count in my head but the doctor apparently thought I was taking too long because he moved on to the next question.

"What type of birth control do you use?"

"I'm on the pill."

"Oh?" Kai interrupted. "I need you to throw those away. Are they in your purse?" he asked, picking up my bag and starting to rummage through it.

"No. And no. Stop that."

"We can't have you on any medication. We need your blood as pure as possible."

"Yeah, still not doing that."

"Darling," his voice took on that stern tone he used as if he was talking to a child. He'd been using that tone with me a lot recently. "I'm putting a lot of money into this research. And you're putting a lot of time in as well. You don't want this to all be for nothing, do you?"