Ch. 149 I thought I was in love

A/n - Hey, everybody! Today's my birthday! Yay, I guess? I had a lot of free time to write this long chapter today. Anyway, here's some angst. Enjoy! 

"You don't seem happy to be back," Hawks said as we landed. He set me down on the ground, and it sure seemed like he was taking his time removing his hands from me.

We had landed in the forest, far enough away that no one would notice us immediately, but close enough that we could see the bonfire my classmates had made.

It was the last night at training camp, and as we walked closer, we could see them sitting on logs around the fire. It was easy to pick out Aizawa's brooding figure standing off to the side.

"It's like I'm back to reality," I said as I tried to pick out Katsuki from the silhouettes I saw around the fire. "A really confusing reality."

"Can I help?" Hawks asked. He kept one hand on the small of my back, and started to gently rub up and down before I wiggled away.

"No."

"That sounds like bullshit," he said. "Come on. What'd I do? You can tell your future baby daddy."

I groaned and rolled my eyes. "In your dreams," I said. "This has nothing to do with you."

"Was it something Dabi said?"

I quickly weighed the pros and cons of telling Hawks that Dabi had brought up the idea of running away together.

"Let me ask you this," I said. "Did you really mean what you said earlier – that it was inevitable that Dabi and I wouldn't work out?"

"I'm sorry, kid, but yeah. Unless you give up this hero stuff, I just don't see it ever being anything serious. Why? Considering the villain life?"

"No. Sort of. I don't know."

"I don't blame you," Hawks said. "With your ability to heal people, you know the Hero Commission is never going to let you do what you want. Hate to say it, but from my experience I have a feeling you're going to be company property from now on." 

"That's depressing. But what about you? You seem to do what you want." 

"Not really. Think of how much I have to do behind the scenes, unknown to the public, just to keep up a certain image. But speaking as someone older, wiser, and more mature - "

I snorted.

"Well at least speaking as someone older, it will probably make your life easier if you find yourself a boring young hero to keep you in line. You're in luck that I happen I know one in your class that is nice despite his fucked up family."

"Stop."

"Either way," Hawks said, "let's get this big bad guy and then you can figure out your love life, okay?"

I sighed and nodded. "Okay."

"Boring would actually do you a lot of good right now," Hawks said, nodding toward my classmates. "I'm already worried about what Dabi is going to do, but if that Bakugo kid thinks you're in danger, he's going to do something stupid and then we're all in trouble."

I couldn't help but look toward my classmates again and try to figure out which one was him. I was pretty sure that I saw him sitting by himself in front of the fire.

"They're going to ask why I'm not at school on Monday if I'm with Overhaul. Katsuki in particular..."

"I'll figure something out. Do your part and let us do ours. The last thing we need is for one of these little love sick puppies to go rogue and mess everything up when we're this close."