Ch. 32 Quirkless

"You're joking. A kiss?"

"I promise I'm not, kid. Come here," Hawks lifted up his glasses and motioned for me to come to him.

Just a kiss. A super small price to pay. Not a bad price, considering how attractive he was. The problem was that he knew how attractive he was, too.

A moment later I was in his arms, his wings folding behind my back, enveloping me completely. I had planned on a quick kiss, but he held me there, his tongue asking for entrance, which I granted. I felt myself giving in to the kiss, my hands rustling his golden hair. I'm only doing this as part of my job, I tried telling myself. This guy is an asshole. A shady, rude asshole. An good looking asshole... who, I had to admit, knows how to kiss.

When we finally separated, I had to catch my breath. Hawks put his glasses back on and released me from his wings.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" he asked, winking.

"Yeah...I mean, no..." I was having trouble forming complete sentences. "So... when... am I meeting your friend?"

"I'll set it up."

Looking back on this moment, I realized that I should have paid more attention. I should have known that someone like Hawks automatically attracts attention everywhere he goes. Maybe then I would have noticed that someone was watching us.

--

"Can't I just stay for good? I don't want to go back to the other class."

The following Monday, class had ended for the day but I had stayed behind to talk with Aizawa. As I sat on the desk at the front of the room pouting, I felt like a whiny child throwing a temper tantrum.

Despite the incident at the gala, hero school continued on as normal. My time in the hero class was coming to a close, and I only had a few more weeks left before I was going to have to return to the support course.

"Trust me," Aizawa said as he stood in front of me, "if I could keep you in my line of vision all day, I would." He lifted my chin to look at him. "Then I could make sure you aren't toying with some of the more promising students."

"Like Shinso? He's not in this class."

Aizawa scoffed. "Yes, but that's not even who I meant. Anyway, the hero course is only for students with quirks. As much as I want to, I can't make a case for you to stay in this class."

I had an idea. A possibly dangerous idea.

"So you're saying," I began, twirling some of the fabric of his scarf in my hands, "I could stay if I had a quirk."

"Possibly. Since we're speaking hypothetically, my guess is that it would have to be a powerful quirk if I were to add a random student."

Pulling the scarf, and him, toward me, I said, "I am not a random student."

He chuckled. "You are definitely not. But you are a quirkless one."

"What if... What if I wasn't?"

Aizawa raised an eyebrow. "That's not something you can fake."

"Aizawa."

"Yes?"

"What if I had a quirk?"

At first he said nothing, but then Aizawa laughed. The sound of his laugh was almost shocking, coming from the usually somber face of a man who rarely showed strong emotions. His laughter quickly ended when he realized I was being serious. Shaking his head, he said, "I don't know why I'm ever surprised by you anymore. Okay let's hear it."