Ch. 148 Let's Go.

Not too much later we rinsed off in the shower – a very cold shower - and Hawks went outside as I went to wake up Dabi.

I sat down on the bed and debated whether or not I should just let him sleep a little bit more. But no, I needed him to take me back.  I ran my hand through his hair and he didn't wake up.

"Hey, sleepyhead," I nudged him gently. "Time to go."

I heard Dabi mutter something but then he held his arms out to indicate he wanted me on his chest. I climbed onto him and laid flat on top of him, his arms immediately going around me.

"You okay?" he mumbled, his voice still sleepy. "Sorry I couldn't keep up. He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"I'm fine."

"Sure you can't stay with me tonight?" he asked as he pulled me up a little to tuck me under his chin. "And tomorrow night, and the next night, and all future nights..."

"Stop," I said, giving him a gentle pat on the chest. "You know I can't."

He squeezed me a little tighter. "I knew you were going to say that. Still had to ask though."

I snuggled up  closer on Dabi's chest. "Are these future nights, or future-anything with me, something you really think about?"

"You know it is."

"And what does that look like for you? Are you imagining us hanging out in clubs and chasing chaos? Late nights with your buddy out there? Or do you think about getting married, having a baby- that kind of future?"

As I spoke, I felt his body get tense under me, but he didn't let me go.

"I will be honest with you, just like I always am. I've never thought about those... things. Settling down. Kids. They've never been on my radar and in fact I've actively avoided them."

"So chaos and clubs it is."

"That is, I never thought about those things... until I met you."

I sat up. Was he kidding? He was surely joking, so I figured I might as well keep it going.

"You already know that we would be the worst parents," I laughed.

"Oh completely," he agreed.

"'Mom and Dad'" I smiled, pretending to be a kid, "'how did the two of you meet?' 'oh, I gave your father a lap dance in a strip club.'" I laughed again. "We'd have to make up something else."

"Or we could go with our second meeting when I chased you through the warehouse."

"Or when you kidnapped me from my tent in the middle of the night?"

"Ah yes. Good times. God, I wanted to fuck you so badly that first night. I think you did too."

"Whatever. I am not that kind of girl."

"You are exactly that kind of girl." He chuckled. "And thank god, because any other kind would be boring."

"You do get bored easily," I agreed. "Come on, we need to go. I need to get back," I said, starting to get off the bed. He sat up too and grabbed my hand before I could get further away. We stayed like that for a second, him sitting on the bed, me standing in front of him, holding his hand.

"What if you just didn't go back?"

"You're kidding," I said, looking down at him and searching his eyes for some sign of humor. I didn't find one.

"I'm not. I'll find some way to get that chip out. We'll go to a new city where no one knows us."

"Sounds like fun until you get bored of me."