Ch. 35 At the Strip Club 🍋 (Dabi 🍋)

With me on his back, Hawks carefully landed in front of a building on the outskirts of town. I took one look at the sign and rolled my eyes. Why was I ever surprised by Hawks anymore? This felt about par for the course.

"A strip club," I said, eyeing him. "Seriously?"

"I told you we weren't going to a coffee shop."

"I get that, but you're okay with being seen here? You're going to stand out like a sore thumb. Everyone is going to see you here."

"You are assuming that I'm trying to hide something. Besides, they like me here."

"You...come here often?"

Hawks winked and then grabbed my hand. "Time to do this, kid." Together we walked into the club, the bouncer simply nodding to Hawks and letting us through quickly. He held my hand as he guided me through the main area, past the tables and chairs set up around three or four stages. We walked over to the side, where Hawks told me to sit and wait for him. I watched him as he talked to a man with a mask over half of his face. I tried to listen in but I couldn't hear what they were saying.

"Are you new here?" a perky voice said from behind me.

"What?" I said turning around and finding a girl around my age standing at my table. "Hi. Yes, this is my first time here."

She sat down in the chair next to me, pushing her thick blonde bangs out of her eyes so she could see me better. "What time do you go on?" she asked. "I don't want to miss it."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Your songs. When are they?"

"Oh, I don't work here," I said, shaking my head.

"Hm," she said, "I think you do."

"No, really, I don't. I'm just here with a friend."

"If you say so," she shrugged before standing up and walking away.

Soon Hawks was back, sitting where the girl had been before.

"Having fun, kid?"

"Sure. Almost made a new friend a few minutes ago."

"Oh yeah?" He looked skeptical.

"This girl thought I worked here and wanted to know when I was going to go on stage."

Hawks chuckled. "Blonde hair? Bangs?"

"Yeah..." I said slowly. "You know her?"

"Kind of. Anyway, she's not wrong. The meeting is set up, but I'm afraid you're going to have to earn it."

"Earn it?" I felt a knot forming in the pit of my stomach. "Hawks..."

"You'll do great. I've got the private room reserved in the back, so –"

"Are you kidding me right now? What is wrong with you?" I hissed at him. "I am not going to strip for a villain. I am in hero school!" I stood up to leave, but Hawks grabbed my hand.

"Sit down and get over yourself. You and I both know that you're no Miss Innocent, and second, a hero does what she needs to do to get the job done, right? Saving lives and yadda yadda yadda. Besides, you have a great body. Show it off a little, kid."

Unbelievable.

My eyes shot daggers at Hawks.

"It's just a lap dance," he said.

I groaned. "I don't even know how to do that."

A wicked smile spread across Hawks' face. "Something tells me you'll figure it out."