Ch 4. The New Girl

Being the new kid at school was nothing new. I was used to the stares and the questions. 

The agency had placed me in the support course at the school so that I could stay under the radar and not draw any unnecessary attention. This meant that most of my fellow students had known each other for at least three years, so I was something of a novelty. 

As the new girl, everyone wanted to ask me questions, but with my childhood, I was pretty good at avoiding the tough questions and turning them around on the person asking. One of the reasons why I was chosen for this mission was my ability to adapt quickly to the person I was talking to.

The major assignment of the first semester was to observe the hero course and create new support items for them. Each of us was assigned a homeroom to observe for six to nine weeks. We had to log hours in the support course shop, but otherwise we took all of our classes with the class we were observing.

The philosophy of the support course was that in the future it was possible that we may not get much time with a hero before having to create for him or her, so being able to observe, understand, and interpret their needs was a big part of the job. It made sense to me, and it happily lined up with my actual mission of gathering intel.

As I opened the large door into my new classroom, a tall young man with glasses stepped in front of me, blocking my way.

"Excuse me, miss," he said, standing directly in my way. "I believe you may be in the wrong classroom. Can I help you find your correct location this fine morning?"

I stopped and looked him up and down. With that height and those glasses, he could be cute if he wasn't so... stiff. 

I flashed a smile up at him. "Nah, I'm good," I said elbowing around him and going into the room. I could hear him still talking behind me as I looked around for the homeroom teacher so I could introduce myself.

Whoa.

I didn't even notice the eyes of every student in the room turning to look at me.

All I noticed was the man at the front of the room. The same dark haired, dreamy man who had walked me home from the bar that night. The man who had spent the night at my apartment and whose soft fingers but hard body I had greatly enjoyed. This same man whose class I was now assigned to for the majority of this semester. 

Oh boy.

He hadn't seen me yet, so I adjusted my skirt and walked directly to his desk. I was not going to give him even the slightest satisfaction of seeing me nervous right now.

"Hi. The support course assigned me to this class."

His eyes left his papers and came up to meet mine. and I saw a look of surprise flash across his face for just a second before his composure returned. "I am aware."

"Okay... so I should sit... where?" I asked.

He gestured toward the back somewhere. Perfect. I'd be able to see and observe everyone. I turned around and made sure to flounce my way back to the back row.

"Class, miss Y/N will be with us from the support course observing our class as she learns how to best support heroes. She will do her best to not be in the way, am I correct, Miss Y/N?"

I smiled at everyone and waved. "Yep. Correct." A couple waved back, a couple didn't even look my direction. And wouldn't you know it, there was Katsuki himself, even though he didn't acknowledge me even being in the room. Guess he was still mad about the other night.

"So you're kind of like our own personal paparazzi?" asked a boy with a sparkling belly button.

"Uh.. I guess?" I answered, shrugging my shoulders. If only he knew..

My assignment was to observe the future heroes, but the current pro-hero leading the class took up most of my attention. It was hard to concentrate on anything else. At the end of the first class, I noticed that I hadn't written anything down at all. Had I really just been staring at him the whole time? Pretty much.

I ran up to him as soon as the bell rang. Man, he was fast getting out of that classroom. He was already mostly out of the room when I ran up behind him and touched his arm. He immediately stopped and turned around.

I had forgotten what it felt like to be looked at with those eyes.

My mind went blank.

"Uh.. I.. Mr. Aizawa...", I stumbled. I was not anticipating him looking at me like that. I tried to hide my completely blank notebook from today. "Do you have time for me to go over my notes with you?"

"Not really."

I should have expected that. But I was not taking no for an answer. "I just really want to make sure I have everything correct."

His eyes narrowed as he continued to stare down at me. Was he considering? I tried again. "What if I just come by your office?" I asked.

"I don't know if that is a good idea," he said, quieter than before.

Oh it's definitely a good idea.

"I don't want to disappoint my professor though."

He sighed. "Fine. Later this week, my office, you get twenty minutes." 

Just me and him, alone, in his office? What is this life? I was going to make those twenty minutes count.

Back at my apartment that afternoon, I got out my laptop to type up my notes and submit them to the agency's private server, but I struggled thinking of what to write.

My job was simple – take notes, type them up, send them in each week. In exchange, I had pretty much anything I could need. Food, shelter, cell phone, clothing, an allowance. Everything was coordinated by my benefactor, since he had been the one to orchestrate the thing in the first place. The price was that I had to tattle on everyone at least once a week in the form of my notes. 

I doubt they wanted to hear about how I had spent a few hours staring at either my teacher or Bakugo's biceps. I could write about how obvious it was that Ochacho had a thing for Deku, or about the pervy things Mineta had said to me, but I didn't think they wanted that either. Honestly, I felt like a failure and kind of a sleaze at the same time. I hadn't learned anything that seemed to be of use to anyone.

Looking back at my computer, I typed up a list of who seemed to be friends with whom, who I saw each professor talking to, and any insights on my classmates' quirks that I had realized by observing them. Pretty boring stuff overall, but with my meeting tomorrow with Aizawa, I was confident I could do better.