Ch. 44 Short Cut

No matter how hard I pushed on Dabi's arm or gripped at his wrist, I couldn't get his hand off my mouth so that I could scream. This felt like déjà vu, only this time, instead of being alone in an abandoned building, I was surrounded by people who could help, if only they knew what was going on in my tent. 

All of my classmates were so close, which also meant they were in danger if anything happened. I had to be extra careful.

"You're so fucking hot," Dabi growled in my ear, using his other hand to pet my face. "I don't know why you want to play hard to get. I thought we had a real connection at the club that night."

I tried speaking but his hand only pressed down harder on my mouth.

"Nope. No talking. I could set this whole place on fire in less than a minute. All the little heroes are asleep and wouldn't even know what had happened. You don't want that, do you?" I shook my head. "Didn't think so. That's why you're coming with me, and you're not going to make a sound. Am I right?"

Going with him? Hell no. But there was nothing I could do at the moment, so I nodded.

"Good girl. I'm not going to hurt you or any of them, as long as you behave, all right?" I nodded again. "I'm going to take my hand off your mouth, but you're going to stay quiet. Got it?" He slowly removed his hand.

"Fuck you," I whispered, sitting up and moving as far away from him in the tent as I could get. I looked around to see if there was anything I could use as a weapon.

"That's not very nice, especially when you should be thanking me."

"Are you insane? Thanking you for what?" I hissed back at him.

He only grinned. "For not killing you. Look, I get that we didn't have the best time last night."

I snorted, trying to not be obvious as I felt around on the floor of the tent for my bag or for anything I could use. A pen I could stab him with, that rope to strangle him, literally anything. I knew the knife was in here somewhere...

"But if it had been anyone else other than me at the warehouse with you, you wouldn't be alive right now. Somebody wants you dead, kid, but it isn't me."

That made me stop.

"What?"

I didn't want to listen, but something in his voice sort of made sense. Why was I sent to the warehouse last night? What was supposed to have happened? This whole time I thought I was working with them, but what if I was no longer needed? What if Endeavor didn't want to just fire me, he wanted to... kill me? No, he wouldn't. Would he?

"That made you think, huh?" Dabi whispered. He moved closer to me. I tried keeping eye contact with him as my hand continued to search for the knife in my bag.

"Right about now you're thinking about whether or not I'm right. Was someone so sick of you that they sent you out to die? Maybe he found someone prettier or more willing or..."

Found it. I slowly wrapped my fingers around the base of the knife.

Dabi sighed.

"Can you at least try not to be such a pain in the ass?" he asked, smacking his hand on top of mine, stopping me from moving the knife. "Look at that," Dabi said, picking up the knife himself. "I'll be keeping this. Honestly, I don't understand why you're even bothering to pretend like you don't want to come with me. Are you worried that it won't be an upgrade from your current lifestyle? Hawks filled me in on all of that."

"Oh Hawks did?" That bird. My fear of Dabi was going away the longer we sat here, but now rage was starting to fill my every nerve. 

"Yeah he's a fun one, isn't he? Anyway, so you want to know more about the League and what they're planning for your little hero friends? Only one way to find out..." He held out his hand to me.

He wasn't wrong. Maybe this was a chance...

I knew if Dabi wanted to kill me, he would have already done so. He'd had numerous chances. So if that wasn't it, what was it? Why the interest in me? He was right, there was only one way to find out.

It's not like I had any other options anyway.

"Fine," I muttered. "Are we going or what?" I grabbed my phone and bag, getting out of the tent as quietly as possible as he followed me. I needed to keep him away from everyone else. Thankfully, all of the other tents were still and silent.

He smirked. "That's my girl. Come here, we're taking a short cut."

"I'm not your girl."

Instead of answering, he grabbed me, holding me tight against his chest with one hand and forming a ball of glittering blue fire in the other. Before I had a chance to scream and see what he did with the fire, a purple mist enveloped us both.