Ch. 24 The Invitation

When I woke up, I was alone in my bed. I wasn't surprised. I wandered out into the other room and there he was, yelling at someone on his cell phone. Endeavor held up my phone and then tossed it to me. Why had he had my phone? I looked – no new calls or texts. What was the deal? He hung up on his call and turned to face me.

"Why is Aizawa texting you?"

Here we go. "Seriously? Are you going through my phone?"

"The phone I pay for. And yes."

"Then you should know that I have to use every angle to get information, including talking to teachers."

"Are you fucking him?"

"What's the answer you're looking for here?"

"I don't like sharing."

"Yet you want me to get intel..."

"From these texts, it looks like you're getting a lot more than intel from him."

He stomped across the room toward me, lifting me up and setting me on the kitchen counter. Even with me on the counter, he still towered over me. He held my chin firm in his hand, forcing me to look up at him, to see the flames in his eyes.

"I'll only say this one more time - I don't like sharing."

"But you thought it was okay for Hawks to kidnap me and take me to his apartment?"

"He took you to his apartment? That asshole."

"Well it was some kind of apartment. A studio that looked like no one lived here."

"Don't trust him."

I rolled my eyes. "I already knew that."

"Did that bird bastard touch you?"

"No," I lied.

"Good. I didn't want to have to kill him. Spread your legs," he said, moving so that his body was pressed against mine, my legs around his waist. "I'm thinking that I need to keep a closer eye on you."

His hand grasped the back of my neck, pulling me and crashing our lips together. His other hand explored my body, rubbing up and down my legs. 

"Maybe I need to keep you at my house, just in my bedroom, where I can have you whenever I want you." 

The hand on my neck tightened slightly. 

"This is what you want, isn't it? You want someone to control you, direct you." Little sparks came out of his hands, tingling my thighs.

As much as I wanted to seem tough around him, I would have been lying to myself if I said I didn't enjoy this game. 

"I own you," he whispered in my ear. The heat from his hands made the inside of my thighs feel like they were on fire. "I'm the one who found you when you were half dead in the hospital, I'm the one who gave you all of this. Don't forget that."

Finally, he released me and I sank bank onto the counter top. "Tonight is the hero gala at the city ballroom. You're now going. I'll send a car for you around six."

My eyes grew wide. "I can't go to that with you. How would you explain that one? A random student attending the hero gala." I shook my head. I'd heard the girls in class talking about their dresses for weeks now, but I never thought I would actually be attending.

"You're not going with me, but you're going. We give out tickets to promising students all the time. Most of the third years you know will be there."

"And you're still going? Given what just happened?" 

"They tell me it's part of the job. We have to show the enemy that we're stronger than them. Otherwise they win."

"But you don't even know who the enemy is..."

"That's where you're supposed to be helping, little mouse. I should have given you the invitation earlier. There will be plenty of people to talk to and if everyone is drinking enough alcohol," he said as he leaned in close to my ear, "you might even learn something useful."

"But," I protested, pushing him back a little, "I don't have anything to wear."

He grinned and pulled my tshirt over my head.

"I'm all right with that," he said.

"No, I'm being serious, I can't go to a big fancy party without a fancy dress."

"Surely I've put enough money in your account for a dress."

"And I'll need shoes."

He took out his wallet and tossed a credit card on the table. "Fine. Give it back to me later."

After he left, I texted the girls to tell them that I was going tonight and to see if anyone wanted to go dress shopping. Mina said they were already planning on going with some of the guys to pick up their tuxes and she asked if I wanted to tag along. I agreed to meet them there and gathered up my things, making sure to grab Endeavor's credit card on the way out.