Ch. 18 You Pick the Movie

Fuck it. I snuggled in closer to Hawks, right up against his warm skin, letting my head rest on his chest so that I could feel the rise and fall of his breaths. I couldn't help it; with my hand I traced the muscles on his bare chest. He didn't wake up, but he did move an arm around me to hold me in place against him. Being completely honest, this feeling of closeness was comforting. Endeavor had slept over but I was always on edge around him, never knowing what might set him off. This was different. This was nice. I fell asleep again easily, only waking up when light came streaming in the window.

"Morning, song bird."

I opened my eyes and his were staring right back at me, our faces a few inches apart. How long had he been awake and staring at me like this?

"Hi... What are you doing?"

"Looking at you." His hand played with my hair, smoothing it down the back of my head. When his hand got to the back of my head, he grabbed a little fist of my hair and gave it a slight tug.

He was smirking.

"Hawks..."

"Yes?"

"What are you doing?"

"As I said, just looking at you."

"Uh huh."

"Looking at your eyes, your lips," he whispered, inching closer. "Your ears," he murmured into my ear. Heat rose in my cheeks as I felt him nip at my ear. I knew I should tell him to stop, but I didn't want to. Between his soft grip on my hair, and his mouth on my ear, I was losing the ability to think straight. A fog was taking over my brain.

I somehow pulled it together enough to gently push Hawks back from me. "I don't know if this is a good idea."

"Oh it's definitely a good idea."

"You know what I mean." Truthfully I was slowly losing my resolve.

"I can't help it. You're beautiful. And in my bed right here next to me. We don't have to tell anyone. When I think about the idea of looking at Endeavor each day knowing that I –

"And there it is." That last comment about wanting something to lord over Endeavor was enough to snap me out of the haze. And I had been so close to giving in. I quickly sat up and got out of the bed.

"What'd I say?"

"Nothing," I said, looking around the room.

"Come back.." he whined.

"Nope." His jacket had to be somewhere around here. I quickly scanned the area then saw it, on the back of the chair. Jumping forward before he could realize what I was doing, I snatched it up and began rifling through the pockets. "Score!" I found my purse and phone.

"Hey now!"

Suddenly he was right beside me. Damn he was fast. I took a quick glance up at Hawks – shirtless Hawks, just in his boxers Hawks. No, don't look, keep your eyes on your phone, I told myself. If you look at him you're going to end up back in his bed. As luck would have it, my phone had died at some point in the night.

I heard him sigh. "I guess I should go ahead and get you home."

"What?"

"I heard from him this morning before you woke up. I'm supposed to make sure you get home safe and then I have to report in to work."

"When were you going to tell me this?"

He shrugged.

"You're unbelievable," I said, shaking my head.