Ch. 116 A Deal Is Made

"Chrono, the car is out front. Can you bring it around?"

"Yes, sir."

Overhaul's eyes came back to mine as he held me firmly. Even though his grip was strong, Overhaul's voice was almost tender. "I'm sorry we had to meet again like this, but I told you that I'm going to take care of you and that starts now."

I knew what he was capable of, what he could do with his quirk, but his voice was so kind that it didn't make sense. I glanced down at his hands, though gloved, on me.

"Put me down."

"If you want," Overhaul said, gently setting me on the ground. He placed me in front of him but kept one hand on my lower back to keep me close.

For a minute he studied my face, as if trying to figure out what I was thinking.

This close to him, and really looking at him for the first time, I was a little surprised by how young he looked.

"I'm a simple man, y/n."

I raised an eyebrow. "Simple?"

"I have simple desires." 

"I bet."

"And I think you could fulfill at least one of those in particular."

"Get in line, buddy," I scoffed, turning to walk away.

Suddenly his hand grabbed my arm, yanking me back. But as soon as I spun around and glared at him, he quickly dropped his hand.

"Didn't your parents teach you manners?" I snapped. "You don't just show up and grab a girl."

"I'm sorry," Overhaul said. "Stay, for just a moment, so I can talk to you. And... I didn't have parents, if you must know."

"Oh...well... same. Fine, you have one moment. That's it. Then my friends are going to start wondering where I am."

"Okay. Thank you. Y/n..."

"Yes?"

"All I want is for you to fix me," he said quietly. His golden eyes met mine and they seemed for a moment soft, even vaguely vulnerable. "I... need... you to fix me."

"Fix you?" I asked.

He rolled his arms over so that I could see his skin, the red bumps and splotches covering most of his lower arms.

"Yes," he said. "Can you?"

"Overhaul, I don't know..."

"Kai. Call me Kai."

"Okay... Kai. That's it though? You know what we discussed - Shinso quits for good if I do this?"

"If that's what it takes to get you to agree, then yes."

"Like immediately, he's good to go?"

"Yes. But we don't do this here. Not in the alley behind a strip club. As you can see, the dirty air here is taking a toll on me. Let me take you to my apartment. In the morning we'll do this, and then you can let Shinso know yourself. Y/n, you know I keep my word."

It was an odd contrast – the tenderness of Overhaul's voice as he spoke to me to now, and the anger of the voice I heard next.

"Get the fuck away from her," Dabi growled. Dabi said each word slowly as if each one was its own sentence.

Keeping one of his hands on my back, Overhaul, Kai, shifted his attention to Dabi.

"No. She's coming with me. This was all part of the arrangement I made with the League, as you know."