Sleeping Beauty

After the bullet destined to kill The Joker barely missed his heart, Y/N had to improvise in order to save his life: Cryosleep was the latest experimental technology taking the medical field by storm until it was abandoned due to lack of results that it could actually regenerate tissue. Even so, The Queen had no other choice besides hoping one day she will be able to wake up The King of Gotham without jeopardizing his survival. 

"I'm starting to forget how you look like, Princess

"I'm starting to forget how you look like, Princess..." The Joker's deep voice resonates in your mind.

"What do you mean?"

Complete silence and then he speaks of things that only make you sadder:

"I'm so cold, Y/N. So cold... You know one of these days you'll have to let me go..."

The baby crying wakes you up from your sleep and it takes a few moments to realize you're not dozing off anymore.

"Hi sweetheart, " you extend your arm to reach the 3 months old resting in the bassinet. "Why are you crying?" you smile and because Kase won't stop whimpering you stand up and take him in your arms, slowly walking around the bedroom with him. "Ssst, it's ok, " you soothe the infant while placing him on the changing table. "Let's get rid of this diaper, then I'll feed you, ok?" the worn-out mother barely finds the strength to stay awake.

Besides dealing with the challenges of being a parent, Y/N has had weird dreams lately: it certainly doesn't help her overall mood after another failed effort to wake up J from his cryogenic sleep right before your son was born.

"Daddy is overdue for diaper duty, isn't he?" you peck the tiny fingers reaching for you. "Wanna see him?" you finish up the routine as Kase is wearing now a cute onesie with ducks and puppies. "What do you think he's up to, hm?" you stroll towards the living room as you nurse the little boy.

Well, there's not too much The King of Gotham has been up to for 12 months: he's in the same spot you left him in a deep state of suspended animation. After his attempted assassination and the assiduous search for the cryogenic pod, you found out you were pregnant. The Clown has no idea he's a father; you have no clue if he'd actually want a kid. J couldn't be a part of the decision: he wasn't there during the nine months, absent when you gave birth and totally oblivious he's a dad now.

You tried to revive him three times; each time J's vitals dropped to dangerous levels so the doctors entrusted with his care advised to quit the process. The Joker was sealed in the container again without a clear path dictating the outcome of his current predicament.

Y/N rejected the concept of shutting down the project...although the physicians suggested it might be the sole option given the fiasco of waking him up safely. Because they couldn't properly assess The King of Gotham, his woman refused to give up on him. She held on the slim hope that the tissue near his heart could have been regenerated. How could they know for sure it wasn't without a thorough evaluation?