Cursed

In a world where the metahumans existence was becoming more and more of a reality despite so many efforts of secrecy, you knew what was growing inside of you and it was frightening. You weren't terrified for yourself, but for the little being you couldn't wait to see. You tried so hard to contain the rumors already spreading around, but with so many enemies, someone was bound to look into those speculations to see if they're true or not.

 You tried so hard to contain the rumors already spreading around, but with so many enemies, someone was bound to look into those speculations to see if they're true or not

The cars chasing your SUV are getting closer and closer. The Joker is accelerating, trying to lose them on Gotham's outskirts, turning from one street to the other but it's useless.

"Faster, J, faster!" you scream, looking behind and notice you are still followed. The bullets start shrieking, aiming for the tires and a few hit the target. J slams the breaks, almost crushing the vehicle into the abandoned building to your left, turning the car sideways to avoid as much damage as he can.

"Are you OK?" he asks, panting, taking off his seatbelt and jumping out the car, running on your side so he can help you.

"I'm fine, I'm fine!" you frantically repeat, unbuckling and he takes your hand, dragging you after him while rushing inside the building.

"Come on, Pumpkin, hurry up!" The Joker urges but it's so hard to be quick when you are 9 months pregnant. He takes the stairs towards the top of the building and after 7 floors, you are finally on the roof.

"Where the hell is Frost?" you whimper, grabbing a metal bar leaning by an empty water tank nearby and forcing it alongside the door, hoping it will hold for a while.

"I don't know Doll," J shakes his head, taking his gun out and backing out with you following. "Shit, they're here!"

The commotion going on out there worries you to death and you protectively wrap your arms around your tummy, trying to think of a solution.

"What are we going to do?" you bite your lips, closing the gap between you and The Joker. He takes a few deep breaths, clenching to his gun.

"Maybe...maybe we should give them what they want..."

"What?!" you almost scream, stunned. "Have you completely lost your mind?! I'm not giving them our child!!!" You wish to say more but your words are interrupted by the voice you both hear in your heads.

"Daaadddddy, you want to give me away?" and then the crying starts, louder and louder, making you both cover your ears for a few moments.

"Sssttt, don't cry, you're staying with us, " you try calming down the sobbing while caressing your huge bump, soothing your unborn baby boy. Suddenly, silence. Only the SWAT team getting ready to bust the door open breaks the stillness.

"Daaaddyyy," the child's voice sniffles, "I curse you to never find peace again!"

" J..." you have time to touch his hand, sensing something strange is going on. He feels it too.