The Other Shadow

Before you died, you promised not to leave him. Yet you did and The Joker was left behind with the demons he can't keep at bay any longer. Little he knows that bound by his grief and your dying promise, you are still here; you never left.

 Little he knows that bound by his grief and your dying promise, you are still here; you never left

"She won't stop bleeding!", J pants, pressing on the towels covering your numerous gunshot wounds. "Frost, where's the goddamned doctor?!" he shouts, angered.

"On his way, sir!" Jonny reports, awaiting orders.

"Here, Pumpkin, press here!" he tries to keep your hand on your abdomen injuries but your arm slides back down to the side of your body. "Frost! More towels!" J barks while you stare at the ceiling, struggling to breathe. You got shot twice in the chest and three times in the abdomen; there is also a lesion on your left leg the Joker didn't even notice due to all the blood you're covered with.

"Hey, Y/N, look at me!" he turns your face towards him and you can barely hear the words.

"Here, sir!" Frost hands over the fresh towels; J tosses the bloody ones on the ground and places the new ones on your wounds.

Suddenly, blood gushes from your mouth, dripping down your chin, then behind your neck, forming a pool of sticky liquid by your head.

"Shit! Hey, hey, look at me! You're fine! Do you hear me? The doctor is coming, you're fine," J mumbles, aware your situation is critical.

"J..." you faintly whisper and slowly lift your hand. He immediately takes it and almost loses his grip: so slippery from all the blood. Frost bites his lips, bracing for the imminent storm: he knows you're behind help at this point.

"You can't leave me, do you hear me? You're not allowed to!" he screams and you choke in your own blood, squeezing his hand with all the strength you have left.

"J..." you manage to utter when the cough stops. The new towels are already drenched, but The Joker doesn't ask for new ones anymore.

"Don't leave me..." he presses his forehead against yours, hoping for a miracle he knows it won't come. "Promise you're not leaving me..." he begs, hopeless for once.

"I...w-won't...I...s-swear...I swear..." you chew on your words, unable to focus. You take one more deep breath, then exhale, your eyelids closing, still trying to look at him.

The Joker gasps, then turns towards Frost with madness in his eyes, slowly descending in the abyss he's powerless to keep at bay:

"Get out!!!! Turn off the lights and get out!!!!"

Jonny takes a few steps back without saying anything, shocked on how the night's events turned out to be: you were just on a heist when the cops arrived sooner than expected and got caught in the crossfire while following your boyfriend towards the exit. A simple mission that turned into an unexpected catastrophe.

The lights are turned off, only the dim light from the lamp by the table you're on illuminates the darkness inside the warehouse. J wipes his face with his hands, not realizing he's smearing even more blood all over; his shrieking breath is the only sound echoing in the huge chamber. He takes off his purple coat, stained with your blood and covers you with it, squishing himself on the table by you.