The Promise Part 1

The Joker never saw it coming; he left his guard down for a moment and it all went to pieces. Nothing to hold on to now except his son and the memory of you. But maybe there is something else that won't let him go either...

"Would you like me to tell you where her body is?" the voice taunts as soon as The Joker answers his cell

"You...you son of a bitch!! I'm gonna kill you!!" he gulps, his hand shaking on the phone.

"I don't care, I had my revenge; that's all I wanted. You took someone I loved away from me and it's only fair I returned the favor," the man replies. "Do you even care? Does it hurt you?... Does anything ever hurt you?"

"Shut the hell up!! Where is she?" J closes his eyes, panting.

"The new construction site on Nesley Avenue. Fourth floor. I left her eyes open: you'll have the privilege of closing them forever. Be grateful: I wasn't allowed the luxury of doing the same for my woman. I'm here too, waiting. Do your worst, I won't stop you. I have nothing to live for now."

The man hangs up and The Joker sits in the middle of the living room, still holding the cell to his ear. He can't move, he can't think. For the first time in his life he's terrified – The King of Gotham knows his Queen is gone.

**************

The heavy steps resonate on the concrete hallway, the plastic curtains being moved aside as J is getting closer to his destination. He feels dizzy while squeezing the gun in his hand, petrified at the thought of what he knows he will certainly find in the building. Another plastic curtain gets moves out the way and The Joker freezes when he notices your body on the floor, only a few feet away.

He takes a deep breath, already incapable of keeping at bay the terrible pain scratching at his heart.

"Jesus..." he mutters to himself, slowly approaching. He sees your handcuffed wrists and ankles, the glossy eyes blankly staring at the ceiling. You seem so peaceful he hopes for a second you're not dead. A fool's hope; J knows it himself. He kneels by you, analyzing every single detail of your body, sniffling when he realizes you still have the ring. And The Joker is aware there's someone behind him.

"I think you had a pretty woman, Clown. More than you deserved, that's for sure," the man softly laughs.

The Price of Crime growls, every single fiber in his body tense to the maximum.

"At least I didn't take it on your kid, I'm not that low. I have to say it gave me great pleasure to do this to her. Revenge is always swee..."

The first gunshot hits the man's chest. Then another one and another one echo in the stillness. J gets up, turns around and continues to aim at the collapsed man until there are no more bullets. His pupils are dilated, taken aback by today's events.

The Joker can't bring himself to gaze upon you again. He glares at your killer, numbness taking over. What is he supposed to do now?

**************