Trapped Part 3

Almost one year ago, someone tried to kill The Joker in a speeding car and Y/N pushed him out of the way, getting hit instead. With a fractured skull and broken bones, she was out of business for 6 months; when she finally recovered, The Queen of Gotham wasn't the same anymore. Trapped inside her own mind and exhibiting severe cognitive impairment, Y/N's life switched upside down without any hope of ever returning to normal.

 Trapped inside her own mind and exhibiting severe cognitive impairment, Y/N's life switched upside down without any hope of ever returning to normal

Same day, later in the evening

"What are you doing, Pumpkin?" The Joker crawls next to you although he has an idea about why you look upset.

You're on your tummy scribbling on a piece of paper and he can tell you are concentrating hard while working on the current project: writing down your name. Only got the first three letters then the rest went blank.

"I....I can't think..." you intensely stare at the blue pen in between your fingers.

"Of course you can!" J reaches over so he can guide your arm since it's clear you need help. "There you go... done. Now try to copy it bellow, alright?"

"Hm?"

"Try again Princess," he taps on the sheet and watches Y/N struggling to imitate the word. "Well done!" The King of Gotham praises. "Wanna give it a shot with a few more simple words?"

"Mmmm..." you debate. "OK?..."

You analyze The Joker's movements as he depicts four letter words, one of them getting your attention in particular.

"Love?" you smile, happy you deciphered the meaning.

"Yes, a basic..."

"Love?" you scoot over, more and more excited and it clicks for your boyfriend.

"It's just an example for you to exercise and relearn how to write, understand? It doesn't mean anything!"

You giggle and touch his nose with yours.

"Love!"

"No Pumpkin! I don't love you, how did you get such atrocity from my note??!! It has no hidden meaning! I barely, from very afar, remotely, not even similar to love, sort of like you and that's it!"

You snicker and quickly slide to grab the yellow teddy bear, whispering in its ear:

"Love."

"Aren't you listening Princess?? Don't start fake rumors!!"

Still...Y/N lives on her own little planet and her damaged brain grasped a wonderful concept despite The Clown vehemently dismissing his actions.

"Serves me right for being supportive," he grumbles and resorts to diversion, the best weapon against your new found logic.

"Wanna read to me?" he points at the pile of children's books resting on the nightstand: they are the best to use in your present circumstance.

"... ... Read?... " you ask, confused.