Darkness

The Messengers of Darkness have a clear purpose: to always create havoc and destruction no matter where they go. Lately one of them slowed down for a weird reason: the entity fell in love with a mortal. Such transgression is bound to attract unwanted attention from its peers, yet the Dark One posing as The Joker won't let anything stand between his kind and the woman he will protect at all costs.  

The sound of distant thunder makes you snuggle to The Joker's chest; you feel your forehead being kissed before another rumble disrupts the gloomy dawn

"Is there a storm coming?" you yawn and open one eye. "Should we close the windows?"

"No, it's fine," J replies, carefully listening to hidden whispers scattered in the breeze making its way around Gotham.

"Ok..." you mumble and pull the covers higher until your nose sticks out from behind the thickest comforter. Your steady breathing queues J you're dozing off again and he rolls out of bed, displeased about the unwanted presence he senses nearby.

"I know you're here," he growls while sniffing the air.

A low humming confirms his suspicion and The Clown Prince of Crime sneaks outside on the terrace in order to greet the emissary sent with a clear assignment.

"Why are you hiding?" the question echoes in the quietness. "Show yourself!"

"I'm not hiding."

As soon as the words are spoken, the sinister apparition materializes in front of The Joker: it has human shape, yet is made only of Darkness. The being and its counterpart posing as The Clown Prince of Crime were born from the same abyss: one could say that makes them siblings, although the notion of family doesn't exist in the Shadow Realm.

"What do you want?" J mutters, unhappy his early morning is interrupted by a visitor bearing ill news.

He can tell.

"The High Council demands your attendance for a meeting."

"Regarding?" the green haired King bites on his cheek, already guessing on the answer.

"Your relationship with the mortal."

J is watching the lightning chaotically striking inside the creature's body since The Dark Ones are in a permanent state of mayhem: their blackness is carried within and enables them to travel between different dimensions.

"What relationship?" The Joker huffs, pretending to brush off any attachment that's out of character for his kin.

"I was told you slowed down your activities in the past six months after you've met the woman."

"I didn't slow down. I'm actually planning for more anarchy," the explanation prompts advice from the entity:

"I hope you won't dare lie to the members of The Council like this; they will immediately know just like I know."