One Of Us

It's common knowledge that Harvey Dent and The Joker don't get along. After the horrible thing that happened to you, it really took a lot out of them to join forces and help.

 After the horrible thing that happened  to you, it really took a lot out of them to join forces and help

 Warning: brief mention of assault and its aftermath.

"What happened to you while we were in there?"

Your fingers stop on the laptop's keyboard.

"You don't get to ask me that, J " you reply, frowning. He won't give up:

"What happened to you while we were in there, hmm?"

"I said you don't get to ask that!!!" you get up from your chair so fast you knock it down.

"Are the rumors true?" He's so persistent it makes you restless.

"You can't ask that..."you gulp, taking a step back from the desk.

"ARE.THE.RUMORS.TRUE? " The Joker snarls, tapping the marble floor with his purple cane after each emphasized word, not breaking eye contact with you. "We would really like to know!"

You feel on the verge of crying, fighting hard to keep the tears back:

"Who's...we?" you sniffle, trying to pull yourself together.

"Me and Harvey. For once we agree on something."

**********************

You are looking through the restaurant's menu even if you already know what you want.

"Hi, Princess," you hear the familiar voice and you lift your eyes up to meet The Joker's blue gaze.

"Hello," you smile, surprised to see him. "What are you doing here?"

"I have a business meeting," he grins. "Why are you here?"

"I'm waiting for Harvey, he wanted to have dinner with me," you happily answer and it instantly pisses him off. "Here, take a sit; he's not here yet," you offer, moving over to make space.

That cunning, sneaky bastard, J thinks, already not in a good mood, but accepts your invitation nevertheless.

"I told you to stop working for Dent, just work for me," he starts his rant and it kind of amuses you to hear him talk like that again. "He's so annoying, I can't stand him! Quit working for him, I can pay you double."

"You already are, Mister J," you remind him. "I am a freelance hacker, I work for both...and others, you know that." You involuntarily touch your colorful butterfly necklace tattooed around your neck; you always do that when you're distracted.

"Stop calling me Mister, it makes me feel old. I don't want you going on dates with Dent, do you hear me?" he points his finger at you, scooting over even more so that your thighs are touching. "He's what, 7 years older than you? He's gonna die first, I'm 4 years younger than him so I will be around for a longer time."