Ch. 18 You Pick the Movie

Start from the beginning

"You know you like it."

"I honestly don't know if I do. Did they find out who did it? It's safe to go home now?"

"I don't know and it seems so. If you really want to..." he said, standing behind me, his hands on my shoulders.

I turned to face him and ran my hands down his wings on both sides, feeling the softness of his feathers. I noticed that it made him shiver, his breath slightly changing as my hands wandered over the red feathers. "So your wings..." I began.

"Mmm mmm..." he mumbled.

"Are they very sensitive?"

"Uh huh."

"Well..." I said, petting them, holding feathers in my hands and softly stroking them. Without warning, I yanked on one feather. "I want to go home, now."

He winched. "Damn, kid, that was uncalled for."

"That's for this morning. You're fine. Let's go."

"Do that again and you'll be in trouble," he said, raising an eyebrow.

"Are we walking?" I asked pointing to the door and then to the balcony. "Or are we flying? I'm supposed to be in school today, you know."

"Give me a second and we'll fly. You don't want breakfast or something first? Coffee?"

I stared at him.

"I can write you a note," he smirked. "'Y/n was late because she couldn't stop petting my wings' – would that work?"

I kept staring at him, my mouth closed.

"Okay, I get the hint," he said, putting on his clothes and jacket. "Hop on, kid. Oh and here, plug your phone into this." He handed me a charging brick and cord. "I keep that on me since I can't exactly charge in the car like most people."

"Makes sense. Thanks."

I'd heard that Hawks was fast, but the dude could really fly. He got me home and after a quick shower at my apartment, I was only two hours late for school. I could tell that Aizawa was dying to ask where I had been, and he wasn't the only one. At lunch I found Shinso and sat down next to him at his table.

"Hey stranger," he said, making room for me. "You're in trouble."

"Oh I am?"

"You made me eat two donuts."

"I'm sorry, but how did I make you do that?"

"You weren't there this morning," he said simply, "so I had to eat them myself. Couldn't let them go to waste." 

I chuckled. "Sound logic." I felt terrible for not even telling him I wasn't going to be there this morning. I looked forward to our morning meet ups, so I knew I needed to make this up to him. The thought of him waiting for me, alone, with no text or call from me, made my heart hurt. "Want to come over and watch a movie after school?"

"That depends."

That answer made me pause. Was he mad for real? "Depends on what?" I asked.

"Do I get to pick the movie?" he asked.

"I mean... I don't know..."

"You know... I could just make you pick the one I want."

"You wouldn't," I said in mock anger.

"You're right, I wouldn't. But yeah, you pick, I pick, I don't care. You won't vanish on me this time?"

"I'll do my best not to," I said, smiling at him.

Just then a hand slammed down on the table between us.

"What the fuck is going on with you?" Katsuki growled, glaring at me.

"Excuse me?" Shinso said, standing up from the table. He stood looming over Katsuki. There was no doubt that explosion boy noticed how much taller Shinso was. Katsuki looked from him to me and then back to Shinso. "I wasn't talking to you, weirdo. I was talking to her."

"Sounded like you were yelling at her actually," Shinso said calmly, "which isn't cool. I'm not okay with that."

"I don't give a fuck if you're okay with it," Katsuki said back. "This has nothing to do with you."

"Shinso, it's fine," I said, getting up from the table. "Katsuki, can we talk somewhere else?"

Shinso stepped between me and Katsuki. "Don't go anywhere with him."

Katsuki scoffed. "Are you brainwashing her to hang out with you?"

"Stop. Both of you. Really, it's fine, I needed to talk to him anyway," I said, gathering my things and starting to walk away with Bakugo.

"Y/n..." I heard Shinso say behind me.

"Yeah?"

"You pick the movie for tonight, okay?"

I smiled weakly, half-irritated that Shinso only said that because he knew Katsuki was listening. I felt him fuming as we walked out of the lunchroom.

"You got it."