Ms. Mendeleiev x Mother! Reader

"You seem nervous."

I turn to my daughter. She has been on edge since we left the house to go to a parent teacher conference night at her school.

"Is there anything you would like to tell me now before I talk to your teachers?"

She shakes her head. I don't think she's lying, but she shouldn't be so nervous. I believe her when she tells me all her homework is done.

We arrive at the school and exit the car. As we approach the entrance, we are greeted by Mr. Damocles.

"Ah, hello Mrs. (L/N). A pleasure to see you again."

We shake hands.

"Likewise."

Mr. Damocles clears his throat.

"When you go inside, you will see that we have the conferences set up in an arena style format. Each teacher has their own table. Teachers are sorted by the subject they teach, which are in alphabetical order."

I smile and glance down at my daughter. She's shaking, but just a bit.

"Thank you, Mr. Damocles."

Mr. Damocles nods before walking over to another parent. I face my daughter.

"If it will truly make you feel better, you can wait in the car."

Her face lights up at this and I give her my car key. She practically sprints back toward the car, jumping inside. I enter the school and look around. Just as Mr. Damocles said, everything is sorted by subject, and there is even a snack table located to the side where there are no teachers.

I believe the main teacher I am here to meet is Ms. Mendeleiev? At least, that's what I remember from what my daughter told me.

I scan the room for a few seconds before I see her sitting at a table in the chemistry section. Her sign shows that Ms. Mendeleiev is also a math teacher at this school.

I approach the table. Ms. Mendeleiev looks up at me and smiles.

"Hello, I'm Ms. Mendeleiev, the science and math teacher, and you?"

She holds out her hand. I shake it.

"I am (Y/N) (L/N). My daughter is in your class, but unfortunately, she is feeling a bit ill this evening, so she couldn't make it."

I sit down across from Ms. Mendeleiev, whose eyes light up at the mention of my last name.

"(L/N)? Yes, I know your daughter. She is a wonderful student. She always submits her assignments on time, as well as practically knowing everything I've taught her class."

I stifle a laugh.

"She knows things before the words come out of your mouth? That is what it's like, right?"

Ms. Mendeleiev chuckles as well.

"That's exactly what she is like! I actually had the chance to talk to her personally a couple of weeks ago as we were waiting for the bus on a field trip. Your daughter is one of the most intelligent people I know, and that's a lot coming from someone like me. She told me about the chemistry teacher at her old school."

I scoff.

"I truly hope that man does not get another teaching job unless it's in communication. At the time, I had to sit with my daughter for several hours several days a week to help her understand most of the concepts. She was trying to learn so much in so little time no matter what I said, so I decided to help and take some of the weight off of her shoulders."

Ms. Mendeleiev rubs her temples.

"Just thinking about what I was told that day makes me furious. I need to take a break."

Ms. Mendeleiev stands.

"I'll come with you. Even though we're right next to the school, it's still dark out."

We exit the school and sit on a nearby bench. Ms. Mendeleiev retrieves a pack of cigarettes and a lighter from her pocket. She offers me one, and I take it. I watch as she lights her cigarette, before lighting mine.

Both of us inhale and exhale at the same time. I look up at the sky, watching as a plane flies over us.

"So, why did you decide to teach here?"

From what my daughter has told me about Ms. Mendeleiev, I can conclude that she is extremely intelligent, but is a bit snappy towards students who are not listening.

"Honestly, I wanted to continue teaching, but with a different age group. We've all been there, and we can all agree that most earlier aged secondary schoolchildren are possibly the worst group to teach. As I told your daughter, those students were bad just to be bad. I get that most of them are going through puberty at this time, but most of the time, they didn't listen unless I got the principal involved."

I hit my cigarette as Ms. Mendeleiev blows smoke above us.

"What do you work as? You mentioned earlier that you helped your daughter when she was studying chemistry, and most parents of students I meet don't work in the science field."

I watch as Mayor Bourgeois enters the school with his daughter, Chloé.

"I work as a chemical engineer with that new bioengineering company that started recently."

Ms. Mendeleiev stops mid-smoke to look at me.

"Wait...BioTech?"

I nod and inhale more smoke.

"Your last name... (L/N). You're the one who provided funding to BioTech?"

I smile.

"I am. I've been following them since they started off as two college students with an idea. They were so grateful the first time I donated to them. Over time with several more donations, as well as their company gaining attention, they offered me a job with them. They had explained that they were able to start off with equipment and licenses with my donations. They thought they should pay me back with a job, as it would allow me to see the progress their company has done with my own eyes."

I sigh as I hit my cigarette once more, tapping it on the side of the bench to allow the ashes to fall. Ms. Mendeleiev looks fascinated by my story. She quickly composes herself.

"As much as I enjoy talking with you, it seems I must get back to the school."

I look back at the school, and I see Mr. Damocles glaring daggers at us, but mainly at Ms. Mendeleiev. I turn back.

"It's fine. Actually, here."

I take out a piece of paper and a pen. I write on the paper and hand it to Ms. Mendeleiev.

"Here. It's my email address and my phone number, to keep in touch. Though, I'm more likely to reply if you email instead of calling."

Ms. Mendeleiev smiles.

"Thank you. I'll be sure to stay in touch. Have a good night."

"Have a good night."

I walk with Ms. Mendeleiev back to the school, then go straight to my car. The door unlocks and I sit in the driver's seat. I look over at my daughter, only to be met with an amazed expression.

"I didn't know you smoked cigarettes!"

I blink a few times and look around. Sure enough, the bench Ms. Mendeleiev and I were sitting at is in clear sight of my car.

"Well, I don't smoke often. That's why you never noticed it."

"It also seemed like you only talked with Ms. Mendeleiev. What about the other teachers?"

I drive away slowly, trying to avoid the cars parked too far from the curb.

"I am sure the rest of your teachers are also wonderful people, but Ms. Mendeleiev, in my professional opinion, is far more interesting."