Hello Dear Aunt Part 2 - Verity's POV

I WAS EXCITED AFTER SCHOOL THE NEXT DAY, practically ran to meet with Esme at the cafe. She looked different, her hair was up and instead of coffee she had her bag.
     "Ready?" I asked.
     "I'm starting to think this is a bad idea," she muttered.
     "You're not getting out of this," I laughed. "Remember, you're coming to network with future colleagues."
     "I thought I was coming because Edward and Carlisle could not?"
     "That, too."
     I was laughing when we got into her car and we started driving around all the shops to try on clothes. Esme didn't try anything on but she didn't have to. We ended up finding me a really nice dress to wear to the party and then there was the inevitable drive back to the house, Esme's heart was racing the further we drove on.
     "If you don't relax, you're going to miss the turn-off," I laughed.
     "Will he be home?" She asked.
     "Of course he will, it's his night off-"
     "You didn't say it was his night off!"
     "You didn't ask," I laughed at her.
     Her knuckles went white over the wheel and I laughed at her again as she drove.
     "I knew I should have worn a nicer top," she muttered.
     "Esme, you look beautiful," I reminded her.
     It would be there first time seeing each other properly since she was sixteen. Last time she had seen him, she'd just woken up from a rather stressful dream and he was only there to ease her back to sleep.
     Her heart was still racing and I knew nothing I'd say would ease her nerves anyway. As stupid as they were.
     When she pulled up to the house and stopped the car, her lips were turning purple.
     "Breathe," I reminded her. "Don't make me get the doctor."
     She took a quick inhale and I heard Edward laugh inside.
     "Should I come inside?" Esme asked.
     "You're behaving as you've never met him before!" I laughed. "Come on! Or I'll drag you up there!"
      She looked at me wide-eyed as I got out of the car with my shopping.
     Then I saw Carlisle standing in the middle of the front room and had to laugh, he looked nervous as well.
     "What?" Esme asked as she nervously got out.
     "You... you both..." I couldn't talk, just laugh as I walked towards the house. "This is hilarious."
     Even Edward was still chuckling quietly, I approached him and leant on his shoulder as Esme walked up to the house and Carlisle opened the door for her.

     Think I should tell them they don't have to worry about snapping tonight? That they'll be okay? I asked and looked at Edward and while smirking he shook his head.
     I scoffed another laughed and went upstairs to put the dress away.
     "Would you like to come in?" Carlisle offered.
     "Thanks," Esme muttered.
     "I'll be upstairs," Edward excused himself and he went into his room and began playing music almost instantly.
     I made sure to loudly throw my school books onto my bed so they knew I would be working on school work instead of paying attention to their conversation.
     Though I knew what Edward and I would be doing both, the nosey teens we were.
     Carlisle invited her to sit down on the couch and they immediately started talking about... a whole lot of random stuff actually. Esme asked about his work, Carlisle asked about hers, and then asked more about it, and more. And even when I thought there wasn't else about teaching to ask, Carlisle found something else. I couldn't help but smile and admire just how passionate and excited she was about teaching.
     I mean, I knew exactly how well she was going to be a teacher, faithful, understanding, helpful and so kind to her students. Her students wouldn't be able to help but love her class.
     I could picture how she'd look talking to Carlisle about teaching, how the passion and love for her dream would light up her eyes. It's why he kept finding new things to ask her about because her talking about her dream would make her look so beautiful.
     But it would also be breaking Carlisle's heart.
     Because one day her dreams will come to a screeching halt.
     I finished my homework and closed my textbooks, it was louder than I thought it would be.
     "Sorry," I muttered to Carlisle and Edward.
     Edward chuckled in his room.
     Apparently, my textbook was loud enough for Esme to hear and she paused in her passionate speech about how she was going to learn each individual student's needs and how she was going to cater to them.
     Carlisle tried to get her back into talking about teaching, but she answered his question and then rather swiftly, and effortlessly changed the topic.
     After another hour, I started to feel a little hungry but I didn't want to disturb them. But I didn't have to eat.
     "Edward, come hunting with me?" I asked.
     "We hunted on Sunday," Edward pointed out.
     "Yeah, but I'm hungry and I don't want to interrupt their conversation."
     Edward chuckled but as I opened the door in my bedroom that opened to the outside and jumped out, Edward joined me and we ran into the woods.
     When we got back neither Esme was wrapped up in a blanket, tucked under Carlisle's arm. He looked up to us with a spark in his eye.
     The weekend came by rather quickly and before I knew it, the day of the school fundraising party was upon us.
     "Esme's coming over, by the way," I said, looking outside to the heavy clouds. The one thing the books of the future in their heads didn't tell me, the weather. "She's helping me get ready for the party."
     "Esme's going?" Carlisle asked.
     I chuckled as I got the dress I bought with Esme out of my cupboard and got out what I had of hair products and makeup.
     I hated the makeup, but it made me seem a little more human during the days that were way too sunny for their own good.
     "Yeah. Well, I wasn't sure if you two would be able to come and I may look human enough during the day, but add some false lighting and features and I'm suddenly the creepiest girl in school. So, Esme was coming to help me out. That and it's a good networking opportunity for her, to get to know her future colleagues and students."
     Carlisle nodded more to himself than to me and only an hour later, the familiar sound of Esme's car turned into our driveway once more.
     "Should we give the girls some privacy?" Edward asked.
     "And have Carlisle miss the joys of Esme preparing for a human party?" I responded with a laugh.
     Carlisle once again opened the door when Esme reached it and I heard her heart start soaring.
     "Alright, you're here for me today, not him," I pushed past my Uncle and dragged Esme inside.
     She laughed, but I let her go and ran upstairs. Only to stop at the top, run halfway back and kneel to look at Esme as she stared at Carlisle.
     "Hey!" I shouted and she flinched, Carlisle chuckled, embarrassed, and looked away. "We've only got a few hours, Esme. Come on!"
     "I should probably go before she drags me up there," Esme muttered.
     Carlisle nodded and Esme began walking upstairs.
     "Second door on the right!" I yelled out to her. I heard her laugh as she walked up the stairs.
     Getting ready with Esme was fun. I had gotten ready for events with Mum before, but maybe it was because Esme was more a friend than family, but it was different. We were laughing and I was able to joke around with her and put her hair in different styles appropriate for this decade's fashion.
     There was one style, her hair curled and framing her face, ribbon around her head that gave Esme a rather... interesting look, she really was beautiful.
     "Definitely can't wear your hair like that," I muttered.
     "Why not?" Esme chuckled and began twirling her fingers through her hair. Her smile made her that much more beautiful. "I like it."
     "Because if my uncle were to see you with your hair like that, I don't think he'd be able to control himself."
     Her cheeks filled heavily with blood and as I took off the ribbon around her head, Edward laughed. I assumed Carlisle had reacted.
     "There we go, with that little bit of colour your face is complete at least," I stated. "Now your hair... what oh what will we do with it."
     "What about yours?" Esme rebounded back to me. "Enough of pampering me, it's your turn."
     So we swapped spots and we did my hair instead. I could understand how her children followed her so blindly, even as a human I could feel her love and compassion even while she was helping me with my hair.
     And when we were dressed, I waited for Esme downstairs with Carlisle and Edward, and she came down slowly, her heart was racing. Nerves probably.
     I felt my own jaw go slack when she came into view, I knew it was Esme, but wow, she was gorgeous.
     I looked over my shoulder to Carlisle quickly, he was wide-eyed, a smile gradually creeping into his face.
    She was still taking that final step that put her in our view.
     I quickly rushed to meet her at the bottom of the stairs.
     "The twenties are definitely your era of fashion, Esme," I chuckled and she blushed again.
     "It's not too much?" she asked.
     "Because I don't think my uncle is capable of speech right now, I'm going to say it for him-"
     "You're beautiful," Carlilse muttered.
     "Nevermind, apparently he can," I laughed.
     "Maybe, I could use a jacket?" Esme suggested.
     "You won't need it. Now come on, or we'll be late. You boys still not coming?" Edward looking to Carlisle as I did.
     Carlisle's eyes hadn't left Esme.
     "We'll let you girls have your fun tonight," Carlisle said. He sounded so strained! Though it was controlled, Esme wouldn't have been able to pick it up with her human hearing.
     "I'll have her home before midnight," Esme stated before blowing him a kiss and then taking my hand.
     And then we were on the way to the party.