Distance

IGOR BECAME DISTANT. I was sure it was because he was afraid, apologetic, but it hurt. And I was too afraid to say anything. The only time he'd ever touch me is during our run to London, which over the days, we quickly realised would have to stop, probably for both of us. And as Igor wasn't really talking to me either, of course, I was the one who brought it up.
     "This will probably have to be our last, or second last, time travelling to London," I stated as he put me down. I had to steady myself, the run had become much more difficult now the pregnancy was finally starting to do things to my body. At least Igor helped me sit before I fell. "I'm going to get bigger," I was already starting to show, "and it's good timing. You've been in the human eye of London for long enough, it's probably time for you to disappear also. We can tell Elling we're going to the new land across the ocean that way she won't expect many letters or visits. That's even if she survived the next moon."
     I paused to rest my head on my knees, waiting for my stomach to either calm down, or for its contents to make a reappearance. I hoped for the former.
     It would be only too easy for me to say goodbye, I didn't have friends in London. The only people I'd ever consider even close to friends would have been Laurel and Johnathon, and they hadn't really kept contact or spoken to me since I left them with the baby. Everybody else all knew me as a girl of the night and never even attempting to get to know me, even after I was married to Igor.
     So it would be easy for me.
     Once my stomach calmed down, Igor helped me stand and we got walking, to the church first, always to the church first.
      As always, Carlisle was there to greet us at the door when we arrived. He shook Igor's hand in greet and hugged me.
     "How are you doing?" he whispered to me.
     "Starting to show, the run's getting a bit harder to handle but we won't be doing much more of them anymore," I responded.
     "Oh!" Elling gushed as we walked into the church. "You two have such unfortunate timing today. Master Cullen is about to head off for a day hunt, it is a pity you only just arrived."
     "That is alright, we merely came as a social call to inform you both of some news," Igor said, acting. Carlisle must have heard something in his tone because he looked at me with a cautious, worried look. It had to be due to the tone because there is no way we'd ever announce a vampiric pregnancy to a woman raised in heavy religion and magic her whole life. "We've been given passage to move over to the new world!"
     "What?" Elling gasped.
     "Really?" Carlisle faked surprise. I just winked at him and he smirked a little.
     "London has been difficult for Miss Elizabeth to live a normal life, everybody remembers her as who she was and not who she is now. The best place for us to move forward is in the new world," Igor explained.
     "That is understandable," Elling sighed. "Oh, when do you leave?"
     "The next boat over," I chimed, not actually know when that would be.
     "But that's two days away!"
     Oh. "Exactly. We've been lucky."
     "Tomorrow, we will be busy preparing our things, so today is goodbye," Igor said softly.
     "I will miss the both of you," Carlisle said hugging me again. "But enjoy the new world for us. Mayhap I may join you there one day."
     I tried not to laugh at Carlilse's words.
     "Don't say that we'll see them off with the boat!" Elling gushed.
     "Please, don't," I said quickly and turned to her. "Saying goodbye now is hard enough, I fear that if I see you at the port I won't want to get on the boat. I know it's for the best, once we finally leave London we can start our future. So please see us off, it'll just be too hard." I was grateful for pregnancy hormones at that moment. Even a fake goodbye was becoming emotional.
     Elling's response to my crying was to cry herself, I ran up to her and held her tightly.
     "Thank you for everything you have ever done for me, Elling," I whimpered into her shoulder.
     "Igor, may I have a word with you outside before you depart for more goodbyes?" Carlisle asked and waved to the door.
     I watched the men walk out and Elling walked me further into the home aspect of the church.
     "Elizabeth, sweetheart, I too wanted a word with you in private before you left. I have been meaning to talk to you about this for many seasons but never found the right time, or the right way to start the conversation, but now I am out of time," Elling muttered. "I am worried."
     "About?"
     "I have to know if you are fully aware that your husband is not human."
     What? How... "How long have you known?"
     "Since the first time he excused himself from tea," she muttered. "How long have you known?"
     "Since we first met." That didn't make sense. "Well, practically. I found out a little way after that, but before I moved in with him."
     "Did he tell you?"
     "In ways, how did you find out?"
     "Elizabeth, I was raised a daughter of the moon, I recognise creatures of the night when I see one. Maybe not straight away, but after time definitely," she said. "You willingly married a man of the night?"
     "Elling, you know he looks after me. He cares for me. He's not like the others."
     "Are you his blood bag-"
     "No!" I shouted. "I just sa... Elling you really don't have to worry about anything, I am his bride, he has never bit me and he never will! He refuses too, and it's not just my blood he doesn't drink. He's... different."
     "He's a vampire."
     "He doesn't drink human blood."
     "That's impossible."
     "It's true," I shrugged. "He found a replacement. Animals I believe? It's why his eyes are not red."
     "Are you sure he is not lying to you? You know as well as I that vampires are not to be trusted."
     "Do I know that, Elling?" I asked. "I seem to remember that I survived the first seasons of my life due to vampires taking care of me, feeding me. Vampires have done more for me than humans ever have, so yes, I trust him. If you were this afraid why did you let me marry him?"
     "I am nothing but a maid, I had no place."
     "You still don't."
     Her eyes went wide, but she quickly composed herself. I immediately felt guilty.
     "Elling, I-"
     "No, you are right," she muttered. "It isn't my place. I never looked after you, after all. Not like they did."
     "Elling..."
     "Enjoy the new world, Mrs Farkas," she said, a tear escaping her eye. Oh no. "I know I have no right, too, but I will miss you dearly."
     "Elling, wait-"
     Before I could apologies for my words, she walked out of the room and the men walked back in.
     "Is everything alright?" Carlisle asked me. "Where is Elling gone?"
     "I said something I shouldn't have," I muttered, the tears coming back for real this time.
     "Miss Elizabeth, can she be trusted?" Igor asked.
     "Elling? Of course, she can. Trusted with what?" Carlisle asked.
     "She's known for this long and hasn't said anything," I answered Igor. "I know she won't tell anyone for as long as she lives. After all, it concerns me now also."
     "Elling knows?" Carlisle gasped.
     "She was raised as a witch, Carlisle, she knew from the first time he dismissed himself from tea."
     "Oh..."
     "She won't say anything."
     "Well, I do need to leave for this hunt. You two... finish your goodbyes? Be safe, look after one another," Carlisle said and hugged me again. "I will visit when I can."
     "I will look forward to your visits," I hugged him back.
     Carlisle gave Igor a rather intense look before he left the church. It confused me, why would Carlisle give that look to Igor.
     "Shall we?" Igor offered his arm, I linked mine through it and we followed Carlisle out of the church.
     "What did Carlisle talk to you about?" I asked.
     "Nothing for you to worry about," Igor answered.
     "It was about me, wasn't it?" he didn't immediately answer. "That look he gave you instead of a goodbye. It looked rather... firm. Is he still telling you off for this?"
     "No," Igor said. "I told you, you need not worry about it."
     "But it was about me?"
     "Yes," he finally answered. "Carlisle took one look at us this morning and knew I have been... not as helpful a husband as I should be. I am sorry, Miss Elizabeth."
     "You're afraid," I muttered. "We both are. It's okay."
     "I promise from this point on I will be stronger for both of us."
     "Igor," I laughed and moved to stand in front of him, stopping his track. "What is coming, is going to be hard and painful for the both of us, but it's going to be amazing. You need not be nervous as I have full, complete faith that you will save me, you'll probably even do a better job than Edward because you've got much more experience on the boy. I love you, and that will never change. You need not be strong for us both, for we need to be strong together. Alight? Now, shoulders back, chin up, we have farewells to give, because apparently we're moving to the new world in two days."
     He quickly, so quickly it surprised me, pulled me by my waist and kissed me right there on the overcast street of London. As I put my hands around his neck, the rain poured, interrupting us and causing us to purchase an umbrella to continue saying our farewells.
     Laurel and Johnathon brought the baby to say goodbye, I had thought that seeing the baby while pregnant would do something for me. Maybe it would hurt my heart to see him safe and that I was leaving him, but all I could see were my fathers' eyes and his dark hair surrounding my face. I loved him, but I hated him. I was glad to be saying goodbye. I did get to hold him again though, and he immediately began pulling at my hair to which Laurel laughed and took him off me.
     Igor said goodbye to some hunting friends and by the time we had said our goodbyes to everyone important in London, the rain stopped, and we began our way back to the cottage.
     Before I went to pick me up, I turned to look at the London behind me.
     It would be the last time I looked at London through mundane, human eyes. The last time I looked through the clouds and bricks of London, as a human. The next time I would see London, it would be with improved vision, supervision. I would be immortal and would live to see days long after the last of the buildings before me would fall.
     I was smiling when I turned to Igor.
     "Time to go home," I said.
     Igor caught a tear sliding down my cheek and he slowly picked me up to carry me back to our little cottage, where I would be hiding out for the remainder of my human life, and probably well into my vampiric one.