Dire Warning

I WORRIED ABOUT LUCY, of course, but my worry was meaningless. She didn't need it. Days turned to weeks, where she was the happy little girl I remembered and loved. Her eyes darkened and we'd hunt together as a family, Lucy would only ever let us hunt as a family.
     Weeks turned to months. Everything seemed like it was going to be okay.
     One sunrise I had been sitting on the floor in front for of Igor, I was helping the prom committee organise the posters for the event. A student and seen my doodles in my notebooks.
     "Lizzy?" Lucy groaned. We looked over to her and her arms were wrapped around her stomach, head on her knees.
     "Lucy, what is it?" I asked.
     "What's wrong?" Igor asked.
     "Don't... don't go to work," she grunted. Her head tilted back and her face... she was in agony. Was her intuition doing this? Would it be that bad a day? "Don't go."
     "Okay-" my agreement was interrupted by the shrill of our phone. Igor brushes my shoulder as he approached the phone and I approached Lucy to comfort her.
     "Ful–"
     "Igor, she has to go to school today!" Mary Alice said loudly and quickly.
     "Mary Alice?" Igor muttered.
     "But I feel-" Lucy began to argue.
     "I know what you feel, Luc," Mary Alice said. "I've seen it. Elizabeth, I'm sorry but you have to be at school today. If you don't, more people will die."
     "More people?" I asked. "Mary Alice, are people going to die whether I'm there or not?"
     Lucy was nodding beside me before I'd even finished my question.
     "Yes... Bella, I'll tell you later. Elizabeth, I'm so sorry. But thank you."
     I guessed her vision had changed.
     "And good luck."

She hung up and Igor slowly turned to me.
     "I believe Forks High is getting its first school shooting," Igor muttered.
     "And I'm in the middle of it," I sighed. "But who in Forks would do this? Mrs McCaster is still locked up and she's the only one in town-"
     "No one from Forks," Lucy grumbled. Her eyes were scrunched up, muscles tight. "An outsider."
     "An outsider is going to... why?" Igor asked.
     "Who?" I asked. I understood Igor's 'why' being trained in the mortal mind. "Bet you wish you were still a student."
     Igor laughed and rejoined us at the lounge.
     "I'd love to pick at this psychos head, of course," Igor said and kissed my head. "But now, I just want you to be safe."
     "I'm bulletproof. I'll be fine," I responded.
     "Be safe," Lucy mumbled with a nod.
     With that, I decided I'd leave the prom poster design for after the shooting. The kids may need a spark of hope after today.
     The atmosphere around the house was certainly tense with worry as I got ready. Which stranger was going to shoot children? Why? How was my involvement going to save lives? I made sure to pack an extra set of clothes to change into if the ones I wore got bloody. Lucy was doing so well, she didn't need anything to make it more difficult for her.
     They both kissed me goodbye as I left.
     For the first time since I started working at Forks High, Shelley wasn't at the school before me. I knew I had left my spare key back at the house while I was thinking of the shooting due today, and even though I was a fast driver, not fast enough to get to the house, grab my key and be back before students started to arrive, so I started to call Shelley. Then stopped because I heard the familiar groaning of her car getting closer.
     While waiting I looked around the school, vantage points, good areas to hide students...
     I came to the conclusion that Forks High was not prepared for today.
     When Shelley pulled in, I saw the dampness of her cheeks as she pulled in, I saw her puffy eyes, the flushness of her face.
     She saw me watching her as she parked, the furthest from me, and took three deep breaths before she got out. The wind was already pretty strong and instantly blew her scent into me.
     I ignored the flow of the venom, the burning thirst, I was got at it after all these years. Instead, I focused on her past. Why was Shelley Cope crying?
     Mark, the Port Angeles Fireman, hadn't taken very well to Shelley not wanting a second date. Not that I blamed her, when it came to bad dates, their first had been horrible. I would have called her insane for agreeing to a second.
     She was crying because he had gone to her house last night, he had scared her to the point of her leaving her house and staying with her parents. She hadn't explained anything to them, just that she needed a place to stay for the night, and maybe the rest of the week.
     I watched her cautiously as she sulked past me to the door, she fumbled her keys, dropped them twice before she finally was able to unlock the door, but she didn't open it.
    "Eliza... h... have you ever been followed by a creep?" she whimpered at the door.
     "Define, creep," I stated. "Are you okay, Shelley? Are you getting followed by a creeper?" I asked, knowing she was talking about Mark.
     She only nodded but still didn't open the door.
     "Are you afraid of him?" I asked but she didn't respond. "Because you know the police will protect you, Shelley, the entirety of Forks loves you... who is it? Do I know them-"
     "Please, Eliza," she muttered before she stormed inside.
     This morning she had gone home to get dressed for work and had found a box of ammunition on her bed.
     Was Mark going to be our shooter? A fireman?
     It would have been easier to comprehend if it was going to be a teen.
     "Shelley, I can't explain this right, but I have a feeling your creeper won't be a problem after today," I said as I got my desk ready for the day.
     She gave me the biggest look of confusion but didn't press further into my words. She just kept her head high and focused on her work.
     I looked at her as she worked, got the system started, printed paperwork to put into the teachers pidgeon-holes. If Mark really was going to be our shooter, I sincerely hoped that he wouldn't kill her.