Somewhere You Need To Be

WE HAD BEEN STAYING WITH THE DENALI'S FOR A FEW YEARS. We'd all gotten very close, we'd had a lot of fun explaining to them why Carlisle wouldn't reciprocate Tanya's or Irina's approaches, and after they understood that his heart belonged to another who wasn't immortal, yet, they became just as excited as the rest of us for Esme's time to come to turn.
     I noticed though, as the years went on, Igor and Carlisle began to get anxious. Neither of them was able to stand still for too long, even sitting down they were looking out windows, bouncing their legs.
     "Are you two alright?" Carmen asked them one night.
     "Fine," Igor muttered.
     "We'll be fine-"
     "Oh, would you two just calm down," Verity growled.
     "Verity, don't talk to them like that," I hissed at her.
     "You've got to know why they're anxious. It's 1916. In a few years, both of them are meant to be turning people and they're here."
     Mary Alice... Edward...
     "Yes, I am very much aware of this," I sighed. "But that does not excuse your behaviour."
     Verity sighed and sat down.
     "I'm sorry. Their worry, nerves, and anxiety are just getting to me," Verity said. "But you both have no reason to worry. You'll be there for them, I know you will."
     "You should have started with that," Igor chuckled.
     "I should be there already. Building rapport... ready for Edward when he and his parents get there," Carlisle stated.
     "There isn't even an asylum this time," Igor muttered. "I don't know where Mary Alice will be going."
     "Dad, because you're small asylum wasn't there, the humans built one," Verity sighed. "I've been doing some research in town," she explained.
     Igor chuckled.
     "So, I'll actually be working with others this time," he laughed.
      "Yeah."
     "Good thing your diet's different," I leant over to kiss him before returning to my art.
     Though after a few more minutes of leg bouncing, I closed the book.
     "Pack your things, we're going to the East Coast," I stated.
     "Miss Elizabeth, it's too early-"
     "If you two stay away from Georgia and Illinois any longer you'll burst a blood vessel," I argued. Verity laughed. "You," I turned to Carlisle. "Be safe in Chicago. Okay? Don't get drafted, don't go catching the Spanish Influenza."
     He laughed as we hugged.
     "Be safe in Georgia," he responded.
     "Wait, you're leaving already?" Tanya asked. "Why not wait? Stay a bit longer. It's so nice there are others like us out there."
     "It is," I agreed.
     "Tanya," Carlisle said softly. "The whole lot of us cannot stay together for too long, it's too... strange, for such a large group of adults. Even in modern times, it has grown unusual for a fully grown brother and sister to be living together. Which is another reason as to why we are now separating."
     "There are places we need to be, you will understand, one day," Igor explained. "Or maybe you won't, who knows."
     "Thank you for letting us stay here for the few years we have," I said, hugging Tanya. "Don't be strangers."
     "You know where to find us," Irina said.
     We all said our final goodbyes, Verity's lasted a little longer but I knew by now that it was a half-breed trait. Both immortals and mortals alike were naturally drawn to her, not like the way humans were to vampires, but more like a human to beautiful flora.
     Igor, Verity, and I joined Carlisle in Chicago. Helped him with a house. He asked for some art and I told him I'd send some to the Hospital.
     It took just over a day to run from Chicago to Milledgeville, Georgia. Once our own house was built and prepared we started gathering our stories. Verity was enrolled in school, I managed to get a job at the Hospital, and Igor got a job as a Psychiatrist for the Georgia State Sanitarium.
     The night before we started work, wanting to be seen in the public eye more than we normally had, we stopped by the saloon or the pub. It was very busy, I almost felt sorry for the woman behind the bar who was looking rather flustered.
     "I hope her husband returns safe," I heard Verity say to Igor. "Hey, there's an idea. Do you know how you two are always saying I should get a part-time job to help with our unlimited funds? For appearances?"
     "You're not working at a pub," Igor snarled. "You're not old enough."
     "I was born in the 17th century," she hissed at him.
     "Just lemonade for the young lady please," Igor said to the woman who approached them.
     She nodded and rushed off to get the drink.
     "Nobody here's going to care about how old I look," Verity continued to argue.
     "The answer is still no."
     Verity groaned and leaned on the bar behind her, she looked at me and I just shook my head.
     I was still watching them when a big man approached me at our table.
     "Pretty women shouldn't be here alone at this hour," he grunted. He smelt heavily of alcohol, it reminded me idly of my mortal days... and I was much more physically alluring to men now.
     "I'm here with my family," I retaliated, Igor looked over his shoulder at me and his eyes could have shot daggers at the drunk man.
     Igor began to approach me and the man and Verity immediately jumped over the counter.
     "What are you-"
     "Helping, you need it," Verity interrupted the barmaid.
     "I see no man," the drunk grunted, he hadn't even looked.
      "Go pick another woman to harass," I muttered, my eyes on Igor.
     "Is that a threat? From a lady such as yous-"
     Just as the drunk man reached out to touch me, Igor stepped in. Knocking his arm away and then pushing him into the table behind him, breaking it under his wait.
     "Don't kill the man," I chuckled and stood with Igor. I could smell blood.
     I grabbed my bag and pulled out some gauze. I held it to the drunks head that had split open. He was still conscious, groaning and gripping his head. He had taken the gauze off me and was holding it to the wound.
     "Hm... you're going to need stitches," I stated and looked at Igor. "Good push."
     "He shouldn't have touched you."
     "I know, but you know how men are."
     I kissed Igor then looked up to Verity behind the bar.
     "Wait, are you two the new Doctors?" The barmaid asked.
     Everyone went quiet. A droplet hitting the floor sounded like it would echo off the walls.
     "So, we're expected," Igor chuckled.
     The drunk's eyes widened at Igor.
     "Ain't one of you gonna work at the Lunatic House?" A patron asked.
     "It's a Sanitarium," Igor sighed.
     "You don't look old enough to be able to work in that place, young man," an older patron stated.
     "I'm flattered."
     The drunkard had paled, staring at Igor still. Fear radiating off the man now.
     "Verity," Igor bellowed and Verity groaned.
     I walked up to her with him, briefly stopping at the drunk man again.
     "Get yourself to the Hospital," I encouraged him before rejoining Igor.
     "She needs help," Verity argued. "And you two are about to head off to work anyway, I've got nothing better to do."
     "You're too-"
     "Don't care."
     What? Where was this behaviour-
     "Come now, Uncle! You know I can do this," Verity continued. "I'm the best chance they've got to get back on their feet while she's by herself. We both remember Dad was a heavy drinker?"
      I had to suppress my laughter. The line was as unexpected as it was funny. Igor was a heavy drinker, just not of alcohol.
    "Please, Uncle. I'll only come help on nights where I don't have school the next morning. And I'll be home by one-am, please!"
     "Uncle..." the barmaid gasped.
     They both turned to look at me.
     "I do need a bit of help," the barmaid said quickly and quietly. "Just for this rush though!" She hurried to add. "It's supposed to die down in a few hours. And for the rest of the week, the Hospital staff of both facilities can have free drinks, on the house."
     "Well that's one way to make a good first impression," Igor laughed.
     "So I can help?" Verity asked.
     "We did not say that."
     "Hey! Casey!" Another patron said raising a glass. "Those free drinks, will they be starting tonight?"
     He stumbled up to the bar beside Igor. He was a much older man, probably nearing his time. His grey hair was thinning and his glasses kept falling down his nose.
     "William Hall, MD, Georgia State Sanitarium," he offered a hand to Igor.
     "Ivan Fraser," Igor introduced himself and shook Dr Hall's hand.
     "Didn't you retire, Bill?" the barmaid, Casey, asked with a chuckle.
     "Did I? I don't think I did."
     Dr Hall's smirk gave off his lies.
     "Yeah, I'm there tomorrow morning."
     Casey rolled her eyes and got back to work.
     "You're letting your girl work here, right?" Dr Hill asked, looking at the two of us. "Fuck me, you are gorgeous." He was staring at me.
     "Hey, you saw what happened to the last guy," Igor grumbled.
     Dr William Hall laughed.
     "Keep that strength, Ivan," he laughed. "You're going to need it in that nut-house. You working nights or days?"
     "Nights," Igor answered.
     "Then may God be with you, and have fun in Hell... you're letting her work here though, right? I can get a free drink?"
     "You're retired, Bill!" Casey yelled from the other side of the bar.
     She had impressive hearing for a human.
     "For the sake of free alcohol, Casey, I'm not!"
     Verity laughed and picked up a glass.
     "We didn't say yes," I called to her.
     "You didn't say no again either!" she responded then took someone's order.
     Dr William Hall laughed and rose a hand, ordering a drink of a specific brand of whiskey that I was surprised Verity knew.
     "Well, I can see that there is no point in arguing with her," Igor sighed.
     "Nope," Dr Hall laughed, before drinking the entire drink in one breath.
     "We should probably get going to work then," I muttered.
     "Yep," Dr Hall added, after a good belch. "Enjoy your shift, you two."
     "Verity, we're leaving!" I shouted over the crowd.
     Verity waved with one hand while getting another's drink.
     "You know your way back to the house?" Igor asked.
     "Yes, Uncle. And before you say it, don't accept any help from strange men and don't say yes to anything. Get to work! I love you both!"
     "We love you, too," I blew her a kiss as we walked out of the pub.
     "Be safe!" Igor called out.