Just Another Night

THE NEXT TIME I SAW ESME, I was working, she had been in the front foyer talking to one of the night nurses as the only coffee machine that was working was for the patients and their families. It had been two months since I had seen her last.
     Esme walked into the Hospital and the nurse nearly screamed.
     "Sorry, I'm just here to see Liz," she stated.
     "Visiting times are-"
     "It's okay," I said quickly to Carol, the nurse. "She's a friend. I'll meet you back upstairs."
     Carol sighed and walked off as I approached Esme.
     "How's Alice?" she asked.
     "Mary, is fine. She starts her studies next weeks," I stated.
     Esme nodded and looked away, she looked concerned... embarrassed even.
     "Esme?"
     "I'm going to Ashland," she said rather suddenly. "Um...and I've decided that I'm going to do everything in my power to... resist, Carlisle."
     I had to try to not chuckle at that, I couldn't stop from smiling though.
     "I know, I used to always want to carry his children, but Bella... Nes..."
     "I understand," I said calmly. "And Carlisle will, too."
     "Does it make me a bad person?" she suddenly asked. "I know back then Carlisle would have given me children if he could, and even I wanted it for so long and now that it's possible-"
     "Being afraid, and being worried about your mortality, does not make you a bad person. Deciding that you want a say on how you die, does not make you a bad person. Bella was lucky, I was even luckier, you know as well as I that you may not be so lucky. And that doesn't make you a bad person," I encouraged. "When do you leave?"
     "Tomorrow," she answered. "I thought it best to just get it out of the way."
     "Okay. I suppose you should go home and make sure everything is packed then?"
     She nodded, gave me a hug, then without another word, she left and I returned to work. Though once I had a moment spare, knowing Carlisle would also be at work, I felt as if I needed to give him a heads up, so I called his Hospital in Ashland. Make sure he was warned if Verity hadn't already warned him.
     "Dr Cullen speaking-"
     "Carlisle, it's me."
     "Elizabeth? Why are you calling me? Is everything okay in Milwaukee?"
     It was no surprise that he knew it's where we were.
     "Oh, everything is fine here. I'm just calling to let you know that she's going your way."
     "She is?" he gasped. "Already?"
     "She wanted to get it over and done with."
     "Wait. Why was she in Milwaukee? Why isn't she in Colorado?"
     "To teach," I answered. "She never married so she decided to live the life she never got to have with Charles. And as her family kept pestering her to get married, she moved to Milwaukee to live with her cousin here. Don't worry, Carlisle, she's better than okay, and will be leaving for Ashland tomorrow. I've got to get back to work and so do you. Goodbye, brother."
     "Elizabeth, has she said anything to you? I mean, have you spoken about...?"
     I laughed at his awkwardness on the topic.
     "Briefly. We're women and sisters, but it's a topic I'm not going to be a messenger bird over. Talk to her yourself. I love you, Carlisle. Get back to work now."
     "Not even the slightest warning?"
     "You're adorable when you're nervous. Goodbye, brother."
     Before he could push any further I hung up and rushed back to work as a Code Blue was suddenly called, not on my wing, but I ran anyway to see if I could help.
     The patient had become unresponsive, complete cardiac arrest.
     "Can I help?" I asked walking in, none of the other staff reacted to my entrance.
     "I need to intubate. Get the defibrillator set up," the other night Doctor pushed.
     I nodded and got working to get the patient back on his feet, while a nurse was on the bed performing CPR, I worked around her to get what I needed where I needed to shock the heart back into a regular rhythm.
     While grabbing the doctor the things he needed to get the tube down the patient's throat to breathe for him.
     Once intubated though, I was able to administer the first shock. Then the second. Then the third.
     The patient came back and everyone congratulated the rest of the team before he was transported down to the radiology so they could find out what had happened to cause his cardiac arrest.
     I knew he had a heart condition he hadn't told the Hospital about. His name was Daniel Irwin and he had a bad heart for his entire life.
     I knew I couldn't actually put it in his notes as there was no way I'd be able to know it, so instead, I left a reminder to check on her heart. It was protocol anyway, after a cardiac arrest to find the cause, especially as she wasn't in for anything heart related, but I would be checking in on them to make sure he found out.
     The rest of the night was pretty bland after that, nothing more exciting than a cardiac arrest happened anyway. I was able to leave on time and get back home before Igor. Mary was sitting on the couch staring at something not here, her eyes stone as she watched the future.
     "Don't give yourself a headache," I stated and she blinked herself back to the present.
      "Just watching," she chirped.
     "For anything in particular."
     Her small mouth formed a hard line, and yet it was enough.
     "Jasper is a big boy," I reminded her. "He can look after himself."
     "Maria is dangerous."
     "He's been in that danger before and he survived. He will this time as well."
     Her brows pulled together and she looked away from me, back to the wall she was staring at before.
     "Mary Alice Brandon Farkas, Major Whitlock is going to be perfectly fine. Have you seen him be murdered by Maria?"
    She shook her head, though in the reflection of the window opposite her, I could see she was still gazing ahead into the future.
     "Than leave him be," I flicked her head as I walked passed her to the stairs. "You know as well as I that he is not ready for you yet. So wait patiently for him to be."
     "I don't think I'm very good at patience."
     "Mary," I laughed. "In the other time, you waited every day of your existence for him, at a bar, where you two were supposed to meet. If that isn't patience I don't know what is."
     "I don't see us meeting at a bar this time," she muttered. "It keeps changing."
     "Because you are different," I reassured her. "Because you see more things than you did then. It will be okay, Mary, I have to believe it will."
     There was silence downstairs from her, so I moved on to start some artwork for the day. The windows my easel faced opened out towards the most amazing scenery of mountain tops over the trees.
     "I was her daughter," Mary muttered, she sounded sad so I immediately put back down my paints and rushed down to her. "I was her daughter and she watched me die. I couldn't even say hi."
      "It isn't your fault, Mary, you were not prepared for her scent. Carlisle will be grateful you did not act of your desires."
     "Have you ever smelt someone like that? Someone that smells, so good, compared to the others? Is that was that was? Or am I still just, to new?"
     "It could have been a combination of both. But you have such great strength, Mary, both she and I are so very proud of you."
     "She knows."
      "Not if you do not want her, too."
     Suddenly the sound of a car on our long driveway broke us both apart. Igor was home.
     "I don't want her to know that I thought of killing her. I'm going to love her so much one day, and I don't want to jeopardise that."
     "I don't think that's even possible with my sister-to-be," I chuckled and met Igor on the porch.
     Mary skipped past me with a smile on her face, hand held out towards him. I raised a brow until the wind finally pushed her scent into me.
     Esme had visited Igor before dawn and before she left for Ashland. She told him that while packing she had found it and remembered she had bought it from an auction house.
     Esme had saved medals from a Civil War collector. Medals of a Major Jasper Whitlock who's body and remains had still yet to be found.
     "Are they really his medals from the war?" Mary asked.
     "They're authentic, so they could be," Igor assured her.
     He handed her the box and she quickly held them close to her chest.