Tease

(Authors Note: I do not speak German; therefore anything that is said in German will be a full piece of dialogue written in English, in italics within quotation marks. Not to be confused with just a single word italicised amongst regular words, which is an emphasised word or a sentence in italics outside of quotations marks being a thought.)

WE DIDN'T STOP RUNNING UNTIL WE REACHED OUR OLD HOME IN LONDON.
     "Impressive that it's still standing," Verity said as she walked in. "Hi, Grandma," she added as she waved to the portrait. "Everything's still here!" She ran into her old bedroom. "I remember this! Fantine gave it to me."
     I imagined she was talking about one of her old toys as I heard her fall onto her old bed.
     "This was our first home, Johann," Igor explained as we walked inside.
     I walked directly into our old bedroom.
     The bed was different and had a note on it with Fantine's writing.

'In case you ever return here. We thought you might appreciate a new bed. Enjoy. Fantine xx'

     "Fantine gave us a gift, Igor," I said and sat down. It was much softer than the old one. "Are you sure none of them can see the future?"
     I jumped off and put on a very specific overlay that was amazingly still in one piece after centuries, still in the wardrobe.
     Verity joined me then, while Igor gave Johann the grand tour.
     "Wow, Mum, is that yours?" she exclaimed. "That is hot! No wonder Dad couldn't control himself."
     Embarrassed, I put it away.
     "I'm never wearing it again," I said looked at the first dress Igor bought me. It hadn't survived the centuries.
     "Why not? Dad'll love it," Verity argued.
     "Tearing it off, maybe."
     She laughed. "Ew."
     "If you two are talking about what I think you're talking about, I'll never tear that garment. There are too many memories attached to it," Igor said as he walked past our room on the tour.
     "It's sad a lot of these didn't survive the centuries," Verity muttered and began going through the dresses with me. "But maybe we can revive the nice ones. Like this one!"
     She pulled out the garment I had worn while a slave in my own family home. I had to take it off her before I started picturing her in it.
     "Mum?"
     "I only kept this as a reminder of the life I lived before Igor whisked me away. That darkness is always won over," I said and looked at the bit of fabric. "I'm sorry, Verity, I shouldn't have torn it away from you. I wore this when I was practically a slave in my own home."
     "Oh. I'm sorry."
     "You didn't know," I said.
     I looked at her. She was looking back at my dresses in wonder, her dark hair had fallen over her shoulder so I tucked it back behind her ear. Making her smile.
     "Is there anything else you think I should keep?" I asked. "This was the only one with bad memories."
     "This," she said and pulled out the overlay. "But not for revitalisation."
     She laughed as I carefully snatched it from her to put it away again.
     "I have two children to think about, I am not wearing that again."
     "Johann and I can distract ourselves or go for a run if you ever want to treat Dad. Just let us know."
     "I am not having this conversation with you!"
     Johann and Igor were laughing in the other room.
     Verity just shrugged and began to walk out back to her room.
     "We're all going to have to buy new clothes. We left everything in Germany," she said.
     "We'll add a room for you, Johann," Igor said as they joined me in our room.
     I went back to going through the dresses, seeing which were salvageable, and which were beyond saving.
     "Throwing some out?" Igor asked.
     "Thinking about it. The ones we can save we can put in a box for safe storage," I pulled out the dress I wore the day we told Carlisle we were engaged.
     Igor approached and Johann slowly walked away, his steps almost sounding distracted.
     "Keeping that one?" he asked.
     "I think I will. Once I fix it up, of course."
     He chuckled and approached his wardrobe to clean up.
     After a few minutes, he was behind me. He pulled my hair off my shoulder, revealing my neck. I felt his breath against my bare neck, and it sent a shock straight through me. My muscles instinctively closed, causing a dent in the wooden frame of my wardrobe.
     "I do hope you wear that silk number again," he said into my neck. "I miss it."
     To keep control and balance, as much as I wanted to throw him onto the bed, I elbowed him to get him to back away and making Johann and Verity laugh again.