Child by Venom

A DAY AFTER MARY ALICE AND JASPER'S VISIT, Lucy stopped bleeding and I was finally able to rejoin Igor.
     I quickly realised that the further time went on, the more between Lucy and I, Igor became; by the third day, since we bit her, came around, and her heart beat its final beats, he was well between the two of us.
     She didn't breathe, nor did she move for quite a while. Her first movement was her hands flying to her throat and her eyes shooting open. Straight after her eyes opened, her jaw went slack and she looked around, quickly sitting up then standing. Still looking around.
     Her eyes were black.
     It reminded me of when I first awoke as an immortal. As afraid as I had been, I could still admit that everything was absolutely stunning. To be able to see every dent in the rocks, every grain in the trees, every dirt or dust particle in the air around me.
     It was exquisite.
     Lucy faced us and her grin grew. She laughed that very quickly cut off and her eyes shot to her own dried blood on the rocks.
     "Lucy," Igor said stepping forward and her eyes shot straight back to him. The spark of joy had been replaced by violent thirst. "Let's find you something to drink."
     He extended a hand out to her which she eyed but didn't take.
     "Will it st..." Lucy began to say before she cut herself off. I couldn't tell if she was baffled by the sound of her own new, mystical voice like we all had experienced at the start or the thirst.
      The latter, I took, from her hands shooting to her neck once more.
     "No," I answered and stepped around Igor. "It won't stay this bad. Once you drink, once you get the hang of it, it'll get easier."
     She nodded and, leaving one hand on her throat, took Igor's hand.
     We took her to the depths of the forest and the heights of the mountains. We had run a fair distance from Nanaimo when she stopped abruptly, forcing Igor, who was still holding her hand,  to stagger and nearly lose his arm.
     "Is everything alright?" I asked her.
     "No further," she muttered and looked around. "Bad feeling."
     "Here?" Igor asked. "Or if we keep going?"
     "If we keep going."
     "Here is fine," I stated and got closer. "Is here fine?"
     Lucy nodded and looked around. I could already hear the strong hearts of some sleeping bison by a nearby waterhole.
     I knew exactly the moment Lucy heard it too, because she didn't think, didn't ask, she just ran straight for the waterhole, straight past me directly with her scent.
     "Oh! Wow," I muttered taking her past in.
     "What is it?" Igor asked.
     "I recognise the extreme thirst, personally. The years before I discovered animals," I explained. "That and, her intuition."
     "It grew?" Igor asked.
     "She's no Mary Alice," I stated. "But her feelings... what she does get. I do thoroughly believe, from what she felt, that if we had continued, we would have died. I think the Volturi are coming this way."
     Igor hissed some profanity I hadn't heard from him in a while, then we both ran to Lucy. For a newborn, she was rather efficient. She hadn't woken any of the sleeping bison while killing, and draining, already two.
     Knowing it would be dangerous to interrupt any newborn mid hunt, we let her feast until the herd if bison were all dead.
     After which, Lucy turned back to her, her eyes a dark amber, her hands and chin stained with bison blood.
     "I probably shou... oh... is... wow!" She exclaimed and laughed. Finally hearing her own voice. "Oh my... wow!"
     "You get used to hearing your own voice after a while," Igor said and laughed.
    "And you two... I... you..." she stammered. Then laughed at herself again and turned back to the bison. "I really shouldn't have killed them all. We need to clean up."
     "I'm glad you're aware of that."
     "We try not to make such a big footprint in nature," I explained. "Don't kill as much as to alter the natural balance of things."
     "Lizzy, you just need to keep talking because your voice is like... Oh my God," Lucy gushed.
     "Agreed," Igor added.
     Lucy laughed at us when I hit him.
     Igor and I helped her clean up and were almost done when she suddenly stopped, her brows pulling together and she looked around.
     "Lucy," I ran to her. "What's wrong? What do you feel?"
     "I... besides thirsty enough to devour a zoo?" she asked.
     "You will always feel like you could devour a zoo, but yes, aside from that," Igor said.
     "Someone's coming?" Lucy guessed, tilting her head. "Yeah, someone's coming."
      "Dangerous?"
      She slowly shook her head then it got quicker. "But I am to them."
     "One of the Cullens?"
     I turned to Igor. Which of my brother's family would Lucy be a danger, too? Other than Nessie and Jacob?
     "I don't want to hurt them. Lizzy, Igor, please, I don't want to hurt them!" Lucy cried.
     "Look at me," Igor ran to her and rested his hands on her shoulders. "Look straight at me." A breeze picked up, I tried to catch a trace of anything in the breeze, the wet wolf stench, the bittersweetness of Renesmee. Anything.
     "Remember this feeling, Lucy. Remember your desire to do no harm. Keep it strong in your mind and hold onto it like it is your lifeline because it may just well be. You may need to be willing to put yourself through physical pain, to make sure you don't harm our family."
     Lucy looked between us then nodded. It was then that we heard, not from the distance the breeze was coming in, the hard, repetitive, thumping of thick, heavy paws against forest ground.
     "Don't breathe," Igor instructed Lucy. "What does that mutt think he's doing?"
     "Jacob you're an idiot," I looked towards it.
     When he came into view, he slowed down to a walk. His dark wolf eyes looking weary between Igor, Lucy and I. He kept his head low, ears flat.
     "If you remember him at all he's the tall Indian who called himself Quil. His real name is Jacob and he's our nephew, you cousin. Remember, control," Igor instructed.
     "He's a giant wolf!" Lucy screamed.
     I held a hand out to Jacob, telling him to stop and looked back at Lucy. Igor was now between them too. Jacob gave a warning growl. He was close enough for his scent to be knocked around us, even just in a small trace, by the breeze. Enough to trigger her natural instincts to kill the wolves, if she breathed.
     Which she seemed to be doing a good job at not doing.
     "I'm willing to bet that was the last of your air?" Igor asked and she nodded. "We don't have to breathe. It's uncomfortable and you're going to want to, but for our families safety, I'm going to ask you to not."
     "What do you want, Jacob?" I asked and turned back to the wolf. "And make it quick."
     The wolf nodded and ducked behind a thick tree. I heard the shifting in the air as he phased back boy.
     What followed happened very quickly.
     When Jacob stepped around from behind the tree with a goofy, nervous grin on his face, Lucy gasped. Which was quickly followed, before I even turned, by the crack of vampire to vampire contact.
     When I looked, Lucy had her arms around Igor's chest and he threw himself, and her, into the nearby mountain face, leaving an impressive crater and causing her to let go.
     "Bad idea," Jake muttered behind me.
     "You think?"
     "Lucy, remember that feeling you felt a moment ago? That you didn't want to hurt family?" Igor reminded her. He stood at the entrance to the small cave they had made, hands outstretched.
     "Should I go get Jasper?" Jake asked.
     "Igor can handle this," I answered.
     "Jacob is family, Lucy," Igor continued. "He's our nephew. Well, grand-nephew I suppose. Your cousin, if you want to be a part of this family. Lucy? Remember this is not you?"
     There was a very deep, very menacing snarl from the other side of Igor and Jacob coughed behind me.
     "Lucy, remember family," Igor said softly and Jacob kept coughing.
     "Ah, Doc?" Jacob said and his voice gargled... gargled?
     I turned. Jacob's hand was covered in blood, his eyes were bloodshot, he had gone perhaps five shades paler than anyone had ever seen the boy. His nose, bleeding, ears, bleeding.
     "Oh my... Jacob!" I screamed as he collapsed and coughed up more blood.
     I didn't quite understand what was going on. Jacob was fine, in perfect health even. But here he was, bleeding out as if he was having a bout of... oh no.
     "This is her," I muttered and looked up from Jacob to Igor's back. "Igor, she's doing this to him! Lucy! Lucy, stop this! Whatever you are doing you need to stop doing it right now!"
     Igor ran to us and helped me keep a coughing, heaving, shaking Jacob upright so he wouldn't choke on his own blood. It gave me full sight of Lucy, standing in the small cave in. Glaring daggers at Jacob that quickly turned into confusion.
     "Look at him, Lucy," I instructed. "You're doing this to him."
     "Wh... what?" she gasped, her eyes shooting to me.
     "You're killing him. Whatever is going on inside your head right now? You need to focus on something else."
     Her head shook and her eyes shot once more back to Jacob. And just like that, the bleeding, the bloodshot eyes, the shaking, it all stopped. Disappeared, besides the evidence.
     "Take it easy, Jake," I said softly. "You heal quickly but you just lost a lot of blood."
     My eyes connected with Igor, I knew we both felt the same fear and worry I saw in his eyes. Lucy wasn't just gifted with strong intuition, her cancer gave her the ability in her immortal life to make others go through what she did.
     She had the potential to kill. But did it affect immortals as much as it did those with a beating heart?
     "What the hell was that?" Jacob asked through his teeth.
     "That's what I want to know," Lucy muttered from the cave.
     "Lucy," Igor said softly, calmly. He turned and approached her softly. "Some immortals carry on into their new lives, traits or talents they had in their human lives. For Miss Elizabeth, as a human she always seemed to know things that happened, was always able to understand the past better than any other. In her immortal life, it is now a gift, when she gets a direct line of someone's scent, she knows their entire past, secrets and all. And yourself, not only has your intuition in your human life strengthened to something more precise in your immoral life but your cancer... has given you this."
     "The ability to give it to someone else?" Lucy asked. "To kill someone with it?"
     "But also, to take it away and spare them," Igor said. "Look at him. Jacob's fine now."
     "Look at me," I instructed and Jacob did.
     Off scent and sight, he really was back to normal.
     "From what I can see, and smell, he's back to his old self. As if nothing happened," I stated.
     "Well, something happened," Jacob grunted. "And Ness is going to be pissed, she loved these shorts."
     "I'm sorry," Lucy said softly.
     "Hey, just don't do it again and we're cool."
     "It's fine, Lucy," Igor continued soothingly. "Now we know, now we can try to understand how it works. Any triggers."
     "Heads up? The pack may not be so thrilled with you having a new addition to your coven," Jacob stated as he stood. "They have a treaty with the Cullen's that they can't bite another human. I gave them permission with Bella as I was directly related to the chief, but-"
     "Good thing we didn't agree to the same treaty then."
     "Alright," Jacob muttered.
     "There's another reason you've come here, Jacob?" I coached, I was drowning in his stench.
     "Oh, right. Ness has finally agreed to be looked at by a Doctor," Jacob announced.
     "And she wants to see you?" Igor asked looking at me. "Why doesn't she let Carlisle look at her?"
     "She wants a female doctor," Jacob explained. "She'd adamant."
     "I'll go," I sighed and turned back to Igor and Lucy. "Will you two-"
     "We'll be fine, Lizzy," Lucy chuckled.
    "We'll go hunt some more and study Lucy's talents," Igor promised.
     "Be careful. Both of you," I instructed.
     "Promise."
     I blew a kiss to my family before I left with Jacob. Well, I got to watch with them as he phased, tearing his shorts in the process.
     "So cool," Lucy muttered.
     Jacob huffed a laugh before sprinting off into the trees.
     "I love you," I mouthed to Igor before chasing after him.
     Mary Alice and Jasper were on the patio when we came into view, Jasper was holding something I quickly realised was a new pair of shorts.
     "Edward said you needed these, Jacob?" Jasper asked and threw the shorts at Jacob who caught them before turning to disappear into the trees.
     "You didn't warn us about her other talents," I accused Mary Alice as I hugged her.
     "What other talents?" Mary Alice asked. "She has something other than her intuition?"