Bloodbath

THE DAY WENT SMOOTHLY, and my poorly-stocked mini-hospital was empty for quite a long time.
     The hour before lunch was when I finally had something to think about other than the impending shooting. A freshman, Chloe Rainer, was feeling nauseous and wanted to go home. I had her laying on one of the cots while I called her parents to come to pick her up. I had a fleeting moment of hope that Chloe Rainer would be one less teenager in danger, except both her parents were in Seattle for work and would be a few hours before they got here.
     There were many reasons why I didn't send her back to class, the first being that she was safe in my mini-hospital, we locked from the inside and only I had the key, which I hadn't let leave my person the whole day; that and she really did look sick.
     Within the same hour, a student came to me after falling down the stairs on their way back to the classroom for the restrooms. Joshua Weber's nose was heavily bleeding and I was grateful that Chloe had a strong stomach. I knew his nose was broken but I was also happy that was the only issue wrong with him.
     I was patching him up when Kyle Matters, a senior boy, came in with a razer, grumbling about freedom of choice. He had been told to go shave by Sheryll Goff. Of course, I had all the supplies he'd need in here, and a sink to shave in.
     So I was in my little room, it hadn't seen so crowded in my little room since Liam Attier. But I still heard it, while getting Chloe a vomit bag in case she needed it as she was getting greener, and patching Joshua's nose, and while Kyle shaved. I forgot to pay attention, forgot to listen out for warnings.
     Because the next thing I heard was a click of the gun, the fire. Shattered glass as the bullet went through a window.
     The four of us looked at the door.

     Act human, I told myself. But that had been close, and I could hear. Harold ran out of his office as the gunman walked into the reception.
     "Shelley!" he cried before another gunshot.
     I put a finger to my lips and locked the door.
     "Is this really happening?" Kyle whispered. "This is Forks. This can't be happening in-"
     "Dude, shut up," Chloe hissed, hitting him with her empty vomit bag.
     If I hadn't been to work today... I wouldn't have been inside this room. The door would have been wide open. Shelley would have still been at her desk, untrained to help them professionally.
     Three easy targets with nowhere to run.
     I pulled Kyle away from the door when I heard Mark approach us. He attempted the doorknob but quickly gave up, probably assuming it was just a supply closet.
     The reception phone rang. The shrill was so loud I was sure the elementary school next door would hear it...
     The elementary school...
     My dead heart dropped and I reminded myself yet again to appear human.
     Mark disconnected the phone and before he'd even had the chance to walk away from the desk, I heard the lockdown alarms from the elementary school.
     They had called the school, probably asking about the noises, and when the line was disconnected... Good, keep the children safe.
     "I'm going to take away everything you love, Shelley," Mark grumbled before walking off, loading his gun.
     "Angela," Joshua muttered. "Angela, my sister-"
     "Kyle," I turned to Kyle and handed him my key. "This door locks from the inside and the inside only. Stay in here, you're safe."
     "What are you going to do?" Kyle asked.
     He took the key and I rushed to get as many things in a little bag as I could.
     "I'm going to try and save Mr Green's life if I can," I lied.
     A lie, because I could only hear one heartbeat outside this room, and it was behind the reception desk.
     "Please, all three of you, stay here. Kyle, lock the door behind me. If you keep them all in here, I'll never let the teachers tell you to shave again."
     He nodded and I slipped out, he quickly shut it quietly behind me and I was grateful I had been standing in between the door and Harold. He had been shot right between the eyes. I snuck over and closed his eyes before sneaking around to Shelley.
     "Eliza!" Shelley whispered her cry. "Eliza, run. Get out while you can," she whimpered.
     "Not likely," I responded.
     She had been pretending to be dead to avoid getting shot again by Mark. That and he had a horrible shot through the window. He had shot her shoulder and the bullet hadn't even gone straight through.
     I tore her sleeve off, gave it to her to bite down on it, which I thankfully didn't even have to explain to her. I packed her wound and covered it with a dressing, writing on it beforehand that the bullet was still in her arm.
     At that moment the screams began more shots.
     Shelley grabbed my arm as I went to stand up.
     "Don't," she whimpered. "I know you want to be a hero right now, but don't. Please, don't."
     "Keep your head down," I kissed her forehead. "And keep the pressure on your shoulder. I'll come back for you, I promise."
     I looked towards the shouting, shooting, screaming.
     I looked out the window and saw Coach Clapp and Mrs Winter, the other gym teacher, escorting their students off grounds.
     I heard Joshua and Kyle begin fighting, Joshua trying to get the key. Chloe assisted Kyle and Joshua lost, he began crying.