Black Warning

SOMEHOW, the supervising doctor, Doctor Williams, was convinced rather easily after Mr Isings death, that we were, in fact, dealing with the plague.
     We made all the staff put on stingy little cloth masks to put over everybody's mouths and noses, which Igor and I both knew would be absolutely useless against the bacteria. Especially if the cloth itself began carrying. Everybody was to start wearing protective clothing on top of their uniforms, depending on the extremity of the patients' sickness. Especially while each individual patient started to get tested for the Plague.
     Every staff member was also put under testing for the plague. Even I decided that I wasn't to go back to my Hospital until I knew for certain none of my clothing would be carrying any bacteria.
     Needless to say, I planned on burning everything Igor and I was wearing once we returned home.
     I was privileged with the task of testing Mary, though I knew she had taken her own precautions to not get sick. The only person she hadn't yelled at to wash their hands and wear protective clothing while in her room, was Igor... and now me.
     Mary Alice was not what I remembered, nor what I pictured her to be.
     I knew she'd be short, I suppose I had forgotten just how short she was. Her black hair completely hacked off to be as short as it could while still being hair. It spiked up in all directions. Her dark eyes were sunken, shadowed. She was tired, her eyes were bloodshot and her cheeks were thin and shallow. She was pale... too pale... sick. But from her scent, not with the plague.
     She held her hand out to me and I handed her what she'd take the samples we'd need.
     She stared at it shocked for a moment and looked up at me in surprise.
     "You know I'd..."
     "You didn't know I would?"
     "I wasn't sure..." she smiled at me confidently. "It's nice to meet you, Doctor Mrs Fraser."
     "It's nice to meet you, Miss Brandon."
     She turned to start taking the samples I needed for her testing. And then suddenly, out of nowhere, her pulse rate dropped so much that she should have died, she held her breath, and the vial slipped from her hand, dropping to the floor.
     "Miss Brandon?"
     I walked up to her. Her eyes were wide, distant. She looked very faint though she stood as tall and as strong as any regular human.
     It wasn't until she started to scream that I realised what was happening.
     "No. No no. No! No!"
     "Miss Brandon," I rested my hand on her shoulder, her eyes now filled with fear. "Miss Brandon talk to me, what do you see?"
     "My sister! They're hurting my sister!" She cried.
     "Who? Who is hurting your sister, Mary?"
     "I don't know, I don't see their faces. But they're hurting her- no!" She screamed and quickly turned to the door. "No! They're killing her! They're killing her!"
     "I've got this," I held my hand up to the approaching staff. "Mary, talk to me. Look at me."
     She looked at me and tears began forming in her eyes.
     "Tell me everything that you saw," I whispered to her.
     "My sister," she whimpered. "Cynthia... she was alone. Waitin' for something. The men, they came out of nowhere. And they..." She began crying again, heavily. Her knees bent under her, her knees hitting the ground, hard.
     "Miss Brandon, I need you to tell me where your sister was. The slightest detail can help save your sisters life."
     She stopped crying and slowly looked up to me, her face painted with shock. I held my hand out and she took it slowly.
     "You believe me," she nodded. "Nobody here believes me."
     "I'm sure you'll find at least one person does, not including me," I assured her.
     "I know."
     She took a deep steadying breath and used my hand to help stand up.
     "She's... gonna be on the main street. Underneath a street light. It's not quite night time... around twilight, I think. I understand why she's alone..."
     "Date, can you get me a when?" I asked.
     "Not for a while, I don't think. There's snow sticking to the ground," she stated.
     "And Mississippi isn't known for its snowfall," I muttered to myself but she nodded anyway.
     Her pulse suddenly dropped again, this time it didn't scare me. I knew what I was witnesses as her eyes glassed over, looking distant.
     They fluttered and she looked up at me with a smile.
     "I'm not gonna see Doctor Mr Fraser for the rest of the night, so can you please pass on a message to him?" she asked me with her friendly smile.
     "Of course, Miss Brandon."
     "It's for both of you, really. Thank you, for what you're gonna do for my sister. You..." her voice broke and she stopped to clear her throat. "You have no idea how much that means to me."
     I brushed my hand through her hacked-off hair and smiled down at her.
     With her scent, I couldn't see the extent of what she had seen, actually, I hadn't been able to see her vision at all, but what I had gotten from her scent was how the vision made her feel. Afraid. Absolutely terrified for her sister, and that gave me everything I needed to trust Mary Alice Brandon, and I knew without a doubt, Igor would also join me in rescuing Cynthia Brandon from whoever is going to attempt to kill her.
     I knew we had time, it was a good month before there was even a chance of snow in Mississippi. So for now, I knew I could focus on the plague sufferers and get to work.
     Doctor Williams put the entire Sanitarium on lockdown after I left with everybody's labs to get tested for the plague. I entered my Hospital through the backdoor and continued to wear an apron over my clothes, just in case.
     "Doctor, what's with the garb?" one of the other workers asked.
     "Potential plague outbreak at the Sanitarium. We need these tested A.S.A.P. for the bacteria. There's already one deceased. Let's stop this before it gets any worse."
     "I'm sorry, did you say plague? Like The plague?"
     "Dead skin, diarrhoea, vomiting, swelling glands, difficulty breathing, the whole works. Get this tested. The state of Georgia doesn't need an outbreak of the Black Death."
     "Right, of course. On it. I'll get my team to come in early."
     "Thank you. Oh, and let's keep this as down low as possible. Need to know only, okay? Milledgeville doesn't need to panic if we can keep this contained."
     "The garb?"
     "The garb. I'm going to get dressed and burn what I'm wearing. Get it-"
     "Get it tested. I know. I hope you haven't caught anything, Doctor."
     "Me, too."
     Though I knew I was fine, I still made sure to destroy the clothing I had been wearing. Verity still had an immune system, it was as powerful as an immortal, but I didn't really want to test her immunity with something like The Plague.
     I was lucky, by the time I had finished changing, it had come to be a reasonable time for me to leave for home. I decided to take any unfinished paperwork home with me and left.
     Once I got home, I could hear Verity asleep in her bed, something I knew she only did these days when she did her school and then work, so I dressed and waited for Igor to return from the Sanitarium to begin discussing what we were going to do for Cynthia Brandon.