Snowy State

VERITY WAS THE ONLY ONE OF US HESITANT TO MEET THE DENALIS. Not because they posed a threat to her or us, but because she was simply nervous.
     "The Denali's are really important to the three of you," she muttered as we ran over the border. "I don't want to do anything that'll ruin that."
    "Everything will be fine, sweetheart," I said and kissed her temple. "The sisters may be the definition of the term succubus, but they are good people."
    Carlisle and Igor chuckled as we ran through the snowy hills of the state.
     Verity caused us to pause again when she stopped, she was looking around her with a smile on her face. She leant down, and with one arm held her jacket closed around her, and with the other, reached down to scoop up some snow.
     "It's so white," she muttered.
     "You've seen snow before, daughter," Igor responded.
     "I know, but this... this looks different," she chuckled and looked around again. "It's almost magical."
     "It is beautiful, isn't it?" I asked. Verity nodded and looked at us as the sun broke through the northern clouds.
     The shine from our skin reflected back from the snow surrounding us, bright enough to even be leaving light specs on Verity, visible even on top of her own shimmer.
     "We're too open," Igor said taking my hand. "We should find shade."
     I took Verity's hand and we ran for cover, we found it in the shadows of the mountains and waited for the clouds to cover the sun again before moving once more.
     Once we reached the lovely, vintage Denali estate, all five of them were outside. Tanya at the bottom of the patio, I knew her from the other time as the leader of the coven, but not by choice. She had been closest to their original leader, so once the leader passed and new members of the coven joined, she was unwillingly made to step up. She was watching and waiting for us, then Eleazar, a face I knew I should recognise from my final months as a human as he did visit, but I just couldn't pull the memories from my own past, just Igors... and Carlisle's. Then it was Kate, another I knew from the other time and her electrifying gifts. It was probably why she was in front of Carmen and Irina.
     Though Eleazar grinned when he saw us.
     "They mean us no harm, Tanya," Eleazar stated and walked right past them. "Igor! What a pleasant surprise! And Elizabeth! I am disappointed we haven't met since your change. You may not remember... ah, but your gift. Of course," Eleazar grinned.
     "It's been too long, Eleazar," I said with a smile.
     "That it has. And this young gentleman?"
     "Miss Elizabeth's brother, Carlisle. Unfortunately, bit by one of the Londoners while I had my focus on Miss Elizabeth's survival," Igor explained.
     "It's a pleasure to meet you, Eleazar," Carlisle said, shaking his hand.
     "How lucky, that you have been able to stay with your sister. You two must be close."
     I smiled at Carlisle as he looked over at me.
     "Unfortunate, though, you do not seem to be gifted as your sister is," Eleazar laughed.
     I knew what he was doing. Why he spoke such things aloud. He was informing the others of our talents, warning them as per see.
     "And... who is this?" Eleazar asked, his eyes resting on Verity. "You... you do not look immortal, but you do not smell mortal."
     "I'm both," Verity stated.
     Eleazar's brows pulled together in his confusion.
     "That's what my father was talking about when he said he was focused on her survival."
     "Your Father?" Eleazar gasped and looked at Igor, then me in surprise.
     "Yes, Eleazar. Verity is our daughter, biologically," Igor explained.
     "Impossible," Tanya said from the estate but stepped down onto the snow.
     "It is true," Igor smiled to our new friends. "I loved Miss Elizabeth while she was human. We were not aware of the fact she could, but she bore my child. And doing so nearly killed her."
     "It's true," Verity chuckled. "I drink blood, eat food. Depends on what I feel like on the day. I sleep, but I don't necessarily have to. I feel temperatures but they don't affect me at all. I'm just as fast as my parents and uncle, but not as strong. My skin is just as strong, but it doesn't shine as brightly as yours does. My mother calls it my little shimmer." I chuckled with her.
     "And you are gifted," Eleazar mused. "How intriguing. Your gift is the opposite of your mothers. Where she sees the past in a scent, you-"
     "See the future? not necessarily see it," Verity argued. "It's more like, I read it. I get your scent and I just know what's going to happen. But it's not certain, no future is ever set in stone."
     "Eleazar?" Tanya said, looking between Eleazar and us.
     "Of course, where are my manners. Tanya, Kate, Irina, Carmen, this is Igor, Elizabeth, Carlisle, and Verity," Eleazar said with a smile. "I met Igor and his Elizabeth while she was human."
     "Your eyes," Tanya gasped as she shook Carlisle's hand. "How?"
     "The same as you, I imagine," Carlisle smirked.
     "Why?"
     "I don't want to be a monster," Carlisle admitted. "I'd rather help people and keep them alive than kill them."
     "He's a Doctor," Igor confessed, Carlisle groaned but all those living in Denali looked at him in pure shock. "He's training now to be a surgeon."
     "How do you manage? All that blood," Tanya asked.
     "It wasn't without difficulty, but centuries of practice has helped... Liz is a doctor too," Carlisle said quickly.
     "Now," I chuckled. "Up until our latest home I was only a nurse, then I studied medicine, but then we had to move and find somewhere safe."
     "So that is the cause of your visit. Finding somewhere safe," Eleazar said softly.
     "Until the war dies down," Igor nodded.
     "Smart."
     "We can't give the Volturi something to come investigating now, can we?"
     Eleazar smirked but then looked at Tanya.
     "Well, I see no problem for us. Sisters?" Tanya looked behind her to Irina and Kate. "Shall we let them stay while the humans fight their wars?"
     "Let them stay," Kate stated.
     "I think so," Irina smirked at Carlisle.
     "Thank you, ladies. We do appreciate this," Igor said and bowed softly.
     "Come inside," Tanya said softly and waved us towards the house.
     The house in itself was beautiful. Antique panelling that still held after many years. It was a house that looked as if it belonged one-hundred years ago, but still had a rustic modern glow that made it beautiful.
    "We apologies for the weather," Irina said as we walked past. "The heavy snow has come early this year."
     "Perhaps mother nature knows what humans are doing and is trying to stop them?" Kate laughed, not really believing her own words.
     "The fighting is not in Alaska, sister."
     Kate shrugged and laughed.
     "I apologise for the interruption, but do you have any pencils and paper? The scenery is beautiful and I would love to capture it," I asked.
     "You're an artist?" Carmen asked as Tanya got me a pencil and paper.
     "Is she," Carlisle answered proudly. "She's produced some of the finest works of art I have ever seen."
     "You have to say that, you're my brother," I scowled.
     "I say it also," Igor reminded me with the biggest prideful smirk.
     "Same statement. You also have to say that, you're my husband."
     He laughed and kissed me.
     I took the paper of Tanya, and returned out to the patio, sat on the stairs and started drawing.
     It was only too easy to forget humans were killing each other on the other side of the ocean, surrounded in magical white snow.
     As I drew, I heard Verity discussing with Carlisle their diets and the families life choices. Igor joined them at first, but after a moment he came and sat behind me. His arms around my waist and onto my lap. He kissed the top of my head.
     "Stop it," I growled to him.
     "Stop what?" he asked into my hair.
     "Distracting me."
     "Sorry."
     He did freeze where he was for a moment, but then he started drawing little circles on my stomach with his thumbs and returned to kissing my head.
     "I'm not going to get any work done if you keep that up," I chuckled.
     He groaned into my head but kept kissing me.
     "Get a room!" Kate yelled from the far end of the patio and threw a large, wet, snowball at us. It hit Igor's shoulder. I cringed over to protecting my art but was laughing as Igor quickly threw a snowball back to her.
     Happiness. Peace.
     What a strange place to find such things, while surrounded by vampires.
     So I scrapped my current art and got working on that. An image of happiness, of love, life, and peace.
     Inside, Verity was explaining her birth to the Denali's while Eleazar, who seemed to accept Verity's existence, was explaining Kate's gift to Carlisle.
     Igor overheard.
     "Wanna try?" Kate teased, holding out a hand, her fingers wiggling in the air.
     "I'll believe you," Igor chuckled nervously.
     "Afraid?"
     "Hardly," Igor laughed. "There is not much that scares me at my age!"
     "Come on then," Kate teased.
     "I'd rather keep my head," Igor winked at her and moved away. "I will trust your sisters and brothers judgements on the strength of your talent."
     "Good choice," Irina chuckled.
     Kate offered her hand to Carlisle as he stepped outside and sat beside me.
     "No, thank you," he laughed nervously.
     "You're both cowards," Kate laughed loudly.
     "Not wanting to be in pain does not make us cowards," Igor grumbled. "It makes us normal."
     "We're not masochists," Carlisle added.
     Kate rolled her eyes and walks past us to go back inside.
     "The men in your life were right, Elizabeth," Carmen whispered behind me. "You have a very beautiful talent. May we keep something?"
      "Of course!" I said with a smile. "Just let me know which you like and you can have them."
     "Thank you," Carmen grinned enthusiastically.