Risk and Focus

(Author's Note: Yes, this part is returning to Elizabeth's POV)

WE RECEIVED NEWS OF ESME JOINING THE WORLD A WEEK AFTER WE HEARD THE NEWS OF THE SHOOTING IN ASHLAND DURING A SCHOOL FUNDRAISER. Twenty dead in attendance dead. Some bodies were missing so they weren't sure of the total count.
     I had been drawing when the phone rang, Igor had answered it. Verity had called to let us know.
     "She was at the fundraiser?" Igor guessed.
     "Yeah... I invited her to go with me because Edward and Carlisle couldn't... she... she was there because of me."
     "Verity," Igor sighed and I turned to face them.

     "How many times have I told you, young lady, you are not at fault!" I heard Esme screaming over the line, Igor flinched away from the phone. "It is not your fault! And if I hear you say it is one more time, I may only be your aunt but I will find a way to ground you!"
     I had to laugh. I had never heard Esme shouting before, and it just sounded... wrong. I couldn't put Esme's sweetness next to shouting and just picturing it was hilarious. It was like a kitten trying to be a lion.
     Igor and Mary were also laughing.
     "There's something else. Something that happened while Esme was changing we thought you should know of. We were visited by an Erik, a nomad."
     "Okay," Igor muttered. "That happens-"

     "No, Dad. He was different. He could... change his body to anyone. Carlisle thinks it's a limited gift, to only being able to turn into vampires because he grabbed Bella from Carlisle's past and turned into her as a vampire, and he didn't turn into me."
     "Is it dangerous?"
     "He has the potential to be," Verity sighed. "I got a read of his future while he was here. He turns into a member of a coven and deceives them, and breaks the coven apart from the inside. He's going to successfully break apart two covens just this year. It's a game to him. But I don't think he's a problem for our families, because no matter who he changes into, his eyes stay the same."
     "So if we see someone in our families with red eyes, don't believe it straight away," Igor nodded slowly.
     "But we can't think up security questions either, because he knows the past of the person he's changed to. He gets their memories."
     "You said that's how he was able to turn to Bella."
     "Yeah. Um. He's not going to interact with you three, but he's going to be close. So be careful."
     "Of course, we will be."
     "I'll see if he gets too close," Mary chirped. "This Erik won't get near us."
     "Okay," Verity said. "Um... I gotta go. Love you."
     "Love you, too, sweetheart," Igor responded.

     "Love you, Mum."
     "Love you, too, Verity," I said loud enough for her to hear. Then they hung up.
     "Erik can find a way between us?" I asked.
     "He won't," Mary assured me.
     "It'll never happen," Igor said as he put his arms around my shoulders, his lips resting on my head. "Not our covens, not our families. You heard her, his eyes don't change, and none of us would ever drink human blood."
     "We don't know his acting skills-"
     "Your faith in my visions is insulting," Mary laughed then she stretched.
     "Mary, you may not see it, but what if the future changes. What if he changes his mind-"
     "Than we'll deal with it," she jumped to her feet. "But I cannot see him getting anywhere near us, and Igor's right. His eyes don't change, so that's our tell. No secret questions, no getting answers that we'll know, it's the eyes. Now, going for another hunt. I've been thirstier lately, not sure why."
     "Anything we need to worry about, Mary?" Igor asked.
     "No," Mary rolled her eyes. "I am in total control over myself. If you see me with red eyes, it's Erik. But you won't, because he's not coming."
     I nodded and she smiled before running off to hunt.
     "And that leaves us alone again," Igor whispered, as he moved my hair to kiss my neck.
     "We've been bad lately," I stated. Even though his touch was making my body scream for more. Focus, I told myself. "We may be losing our touch."
     I felt Igor freeze behind me. I turned to face him, he had a look of deep concentration that quickly soothed out to a soft smile as he brushed his thumb between my brows. I must have been frowning.
     "That bothers you," he guessed.
     No. "I just wonder if we'll have the strength to get it back," I laughed and returned his smile.
     "I believe we will. When Verity returns."
     "Or perhaps when Jasper keeps Mary home at all hours. I may be forced to wear ridiculous attire, but I have dignity."
     "And that's why I love you," he laughed. "That, and so much more."
     "Oh really?"
     The craving was back. I wanted his hand to rest on my cheek again, wanted his lips against my neck once more. His body against mine.
     I suppose... another day of sex wouldn't change anything.
     I slid my hands around his neck, tangling my fingers in his hair. Holding my body to his.
     He grinned his stupid, childish grin.
     I let my lips brush against his neck and his hands tightened against my back, not yet breaking my shirt but close enough.
     I let my lips brush up to his lips and he pulled me towards him. It made me chuckle. And with that, his past. Just like a book.

As it did with every touch, the memories came flooding into the front of my mind.

     Miss Elizabeth, struggling to stand, struggling to breathe. I had thought she was dying, really dying. Carlisle had wasted time assuring me she would be okay, and that I should fight.

     Miss Elizabeth, leaning against the doorframe, visibly better but not yet fully healed. How seeing her well had made me so grateful, so happy. And then the pain of decapitation, followed by a worse pain. The pain in her eyes as she screamed for me.

     I could still feel the guilt and sorrow that I put that pain on her face. That I caused her that pain.

     I pulled his lips to mine and started pushing us towards the stairs.
     Igor immediately picked me up and without letting our lips part, carried me to our bed.
     Breathing in his scent, his past, I knew he was still thinking about it. Thinking of how I deserved better. How his Aphrodite deserved more than a man of his past...
     I pushed him off me onto his back, only to climb atop him. He was straining against his trousers, against me.
     "You're distracted," I pointed out and bent down to bite his neck. He groaned in my ear as his hands turned claws and tore apart my shirt. "Stop being distracted."
     A squeal escaped me when he pushed me onto my back as I had just done to him, and he lowered himself to me.

~~~~~