Alaska

IGOR AND I ARRIVED IN DENALI NOT A FORTNIGHT AFTER WE HAD OUR ARGUMENT AND MADE UP. Tanya greeted me with a hug when Igor and I arrived at their house.
     "It is so good to see you again, Liz," she said, "and to see you're not alone?"
     I chuckled and stepped away from the sister as Kate, Irina... and two new faces joined us. One of them was familiar...
     "This is Igor, we found each other centuries ago, but it's only been a decade that we... well..." I explained and had to chuckle a little until I noticed how tense Igor was... Eleazar. "Hello, again, Eleazar."
     "Elizabeth. Is everything alright with your mate?" the former Volturi member asked.
     "Igor, it's okay," I assured him. "He's Cavian, Eleazar."
     "Spent the first century and a half of my immortal life training to fight you and your, former, comrades," Igor explained, a lot more comfortable in the flick of a candle flame. "I apologise for my sudden reaction, even if it has been millennia, I still remember the fear and hatred Stefan and Vladimir drilled into our minds."
     "I understand," Eleazar said with a friendly smile. "But I've left Aro now, my mate, Carmen, and I, left Aro when we found each other."
     "Congratulations," I smiled at Carmen who smiled back.
     "Guessing you know how they found us?" Kate asked, raising a brow at me.

     Not yet, I thought. "I'm upwind. I know nothing yet."
     "Stories for later, what brings you our way?" Tanya asked.
     "The war," Igor said. "Miss Elizabeth thought that it would be safest, if we stayed up here, with your family. If that is alright?"
     "Of course, it is! Make yourselves welcome!" Tanya cheered and skipped back to their house.
     "Even I have reduced to hiding out of human sight for the years," Eleazar nodded. "If any vampire men are drafted, Aro will sure have them under a close watch."
     I looked at Igor, checking for any sort of reaction to a former Volturi confirming my thoughts, but he had a plain face on until he looked down at me, smiled softly, and brushed some of my hair out of my face.
     "Come on, in," Irina said before we all went inside. "You two can have my room while you're here. It's the only other one with a bed."
     If I could have blushed, I would have. Igor just laughed.
     "Yes, we're all very familiar with what new, budding vampire couples do with their spare time," Kate teased with a wink as she went into the house.
     "Sorry to disappoint you, but we're rather good with restraint," Igor stated, taking my hand and guiding me into their beautiful home.
     "Don't say that too quickly, friend," Eleazar chuckled. "You may find that snow... changes some things."

     What does he mean? Where in the hells is the wind so I can find out! I was thinking. "Well if the snow changes anything it'll be my artwork."
     "Oh, you do art?" Carmen asked me. "I would love to see some of your work."
     Igor's face lit up as we walked into the house. For a lack of terms, it was beautiful, but also nothing had changed since the last time I was here. The house was very light, very open. Had a natural, homey, type feel to it.
     It was lovely.
     "Only brought with you the essentials?" Kate asked as Igor put down our one bag.
     "Just Miss Elizabeth's art supplies, and a few favourite works. Nothing else is really a necessity," Igor explained.
     "You stop having necessities at, how old was it, Igor? Eight-hundred? Seven-hundred?" I joked. The girls all laughed and Igor just rolled his eyes at me.
     During the rest of the day, Igor spoke to the girls about how they survived their lives in Alaska, the hunting opportunities, how they lived, yadda yadda. By sunset, however, it became less like they were comforting guests and more like a house full of vampires who just happened to be there. Kate and Irina began playing chess, Tanya went for a run, and Carmen and Eleazar cuddled on their couch and listened to surprisingly good radio.
     Igor borrowed one of their books and read while I leant against his legs and drew in my sketchbook. Lighting was very different in Alaska, and it was beautiful.
No one moved when their phone rang, but by the second ring Irina had gotten up to answer it
     "Hello, this is Irina," she said.
     "Irina, this is Carlisle."
     Igor and I both closed our books and looked towards her, Kate chuckled.
     "Hey, Carlisle! How are you guys going with the war?" She asked.
     "Another war, another life. I'm not working through this one though, still trying to rein in our newest member..." Something was said in the other house that we couldn't hear but it made Irina laugh. "Well... you know how it is. How are Eleazar and Carmen liking the new life?"
     "It's suiting us rather well, Carlisle," Eleazar answered, loud enough for Carlisle to hear over the phone.
     "I am glad to hear it."
     "Carlisle, am I right to assume this phone call isn't just to check up on Eleazar and Carmen?" Irina asked, leaning on the wall and raising a brow, Kate smirked and stood.
     "You're right. Edward is having a hard time here and we wondered if he'd be welcomed up your way, during the war that is. Rose and Emmett are proving, difficult, for him to be around."
     Edward's mind-reading perhaps?? Who were these Rose and Emmett? More kids of my brothers? Wow. My brother had perhaps been busy in the decade we had been... distracted.
     "Wow, they must be bad if he'd rather face Tanya," Irina laughed. "But Edward is always welcome here, Carlisle, you both should know that." She looked over at Igor and me. "We actually have..." knowing that she was going to mention Igor and me, I quickly shook my head and she gave a small quick nod, mid-speech. "Some guests," she swiftly adjusted, "over already, seeking refuge from the war as well."
     "Really?"
     "Oh, don't worry, Carlisle, these two are just as harmless as we are."
     "That's not very reassuring coming from your, Irina."
     We all laughed at that.
     "So, we'll be expecting Edward in a few days then?" Irina asked through her teeth.
     "Yes. Thank you, again, Irina."
     "No worries, as I said, Edward and anyone else in your family, is always welcomed here, Carlisle. You're family."
     "As you are all, here. Goodbye, Irina, and to you all, stay safe."
     "You as well, Carlisle," Kate said before Irina hung up. "Looks like you two will finally meet one of our cousins," she said to Eleazar and Carmen before looking at me. "Why don't you want Carlisle knowing you're here?"
     "I don't think Carlisle knows I exist just yet," I told them. "And for now I want to keep it that way."
     "Why?" Irina asked. "I mean, getting to be immortal with someone so close to you in your human life, is amazing—"
     "Because we weren't close. We didn't know each other. I'm only just starting to get used to being a mated vampire, I don't really want to have to throw in getting to know my brother in the process."
     "Okay," was all Irina said before they returned to their chess game, Carmen and Eleazar returned to their television, Igor went back to his book and I went back to my art.