Privacy

THE FIRST NIGHT WORKING AS THE NIGHT DOCTOR IN THE HOSPITAL WAS INTENSE. I was monitoring patients on the three lower floors, so was pulled in every direction imaginable for patients needing a doctor for pain, or resuscitation, or a nurse realising that medications were not signed or marked down properly so I needed to do research on the patient before I could correct the error.
     The one time I did get a break, I sat in the staff cafeteria and noticed the other night doctor asleep on the couch. Snoring.
     He was an older man, probably mid-seventies. His glasses were bent in his coat pocket, probably from laying on them. He farted in his sleep.
     He awoke with a start when I sat down at the only table in the small room, with a book. He had stared at me, reeking of testosterone, for the rest of his break... which turned out to be longer than mine. He didn't say anything, didn't eat, or move from his spot on the couch. He just stared... which would have been a little terrifying if I had been human.
     All that aside, I was still able to return home before sunrise. Where Verity was asleep on the couch with a newspaper over her face.
     I sat and did research on some conditions patients had that I was unfamiliar with while she slept.
     She didn't stir until Igor came home as the sun rose, where she groaned and sat up until the newspaper fell off her face.
     "Sleep well?" I asked her and closed my book.
     "How long have you been there for?" she mumbled.
     "An hour," I chuckled and went to welcome Igor home with a kiss.
     And with his kiss came his past.
     Mary Alice Brandon was in the Sanitarium... and she was not well and much worse than she had been last time.
     I looked at Igor as he watched Verity trudge her way to the bathroom to get ready for her day.
     "I know you two have lived with it before, but I love indoor plumbing," Verity laughed as she entered the washroom. "It makes getting ready for the day so much nicer!"
     "And she hasn't even tried a shower yet," Igor chuckled.
     "What's that?" Verity asked. I heard the bath get turned on.
     Igor smiled down at me, then softly brushed the crease between my brow I knew was forming thinking of Mary Alice.
     "It's a small box of localised, pressurised rain in your own home," Igor answered. "You're worried about Mary Alice?"
     "That sounds amazing! And weird... I cannot wait," Verity laughed from the washroom.
     "She's worse than she was," I stated.
     "If at any point, I ever feel as if I cannot help her through her forced treatment and her reaction to said treatment, myself. I will make sure you are called for the consult."
     "I'm just a night Doctor."
     "And Mary's best chance of survival."
    He held my chin up to kiss me again.
     "You know," I muttered, pulling back to look up at him. "We really should think about the third event. It's nineteen-seventeen. We were sent back to 1658. I fear we may have already passed it."
     "What could it have been? I know nothing in our history that could affect our world that drastically."
     "It doesn't have to be drastic. Something as minuscule as stepping on a flower could lead to the end of the world in five years."
     "Or a butterfly," Igor said with a smirk.
     What?
     He chuckled at what I only assumed was my very confused expression.
     "The butterfly effect. Change one singular moment in history and a whole new, different future is created. Carlisle worried about it once when you were mortals."
     "He still does," I chuckled. "Just keeps it to himself."
     "So, what if, because times are different or have changed, there may be events that cannot happen, because its set up hasn't," Igor suggested. "Maybe there is no event three, anymore."
     "So, you're not worried?"
     Igor rested his hands on either side of my face, pushing my hair back in the process.
     "I am starting to think that there is no longer a reason to be," he admitted.
     "You died."
     "I remember."
     "I will not let that happen again."
     "I know."
     He kissed me again, he stepped back when Verity began running downstairs.
     "If it's any consolation to you, Mum," she said, bag on her back. "I don't know of any feud with the Volturi in our future, at least not with the path we're currently on. So, listen to Dad. He's right."
     She practically ran out of the door.
     "Verity-"
     "I'm meeting some classmates before school for a group project. You two have a good day!" She waved as she hurried away.
     That didn't make any sense to me... she was meeting her classmates after school, according to what her past had told me.
     And then Igor was behind me as I watched Verity disappear. Hands on my shoulders, down my arms, moving my hair out the way so he could kiss my neck.
     "Igor," I mumbled.
     "This is the first time we have been fully alone. No Verity, no Carlisle," he kissed my neck again. "First time we've been this alone since you were human."
     "So this is why she left in a hurry," I chuckled and turned to face my husband.
     "She's not meeting classmates to work on a group project?"
     "No, that's after school."
     "Hm... so more time alone then."
     "Is that really all you can think about?" I laughed.
     "I died."
     "I remember."
     "And there have been, many things I've wanted to do upon being back. But you were so fragile."
     His fantasies... I had been ignoring them for the sake of my own sanity...
     "Well," I walked away, towards our bedroom. "It's a good thing we're alone. Isn't it?"
     I kept my eyes on him as I walked back towards the room. Remembering every fantasy that ever flew through his head, especially while I was mortal and there wasn't a daughter or a brother to think about.
      I opened the bedroom door and Igor came running. He picked me up and carried me into the bedroom, our lips melding together.
     Before I could stop it, before anything, there was a scream in my head.
     My own scream.
     And behind my eyelids, I saw his face. I saw Igor has he was decapitated and burnt.

     No! The screamed bounced around in my head.
     "Miss Elizabeth?"
     I opened my eyes and looked at my Igor. His eyes were suddenly filled with worry.
     He died... But he's alive again. I have him back.
     With that horrendous image in my head, and that reminder that he is now alive, in my mind. I pulled Igor to me, turned us around and pushed him onto the bed where I climbed on top of him.
     I felt the same relieved satisfaction as his hands tore through my shirt, and his lips became hard on mine.
     And our shared passion became a desire became a need for one another.
     A growl broke from Igor as he flipped me onto my back, climbed on top of me and bit into my neck, only making me want him that much more.