Intuition

IT WAS A WEEK AFTER STARTING AT NRGH. Sally Clarke had to get her stomach pumped but was soon able to go home. Her mother wanted her to stay for a little while longer, only this time it was because she wanted her new "actually perfect", her words, Doctor to spend some more time with her daughter, because apparently, she was a little girl who constantly got herself admitted into the Hospital.
     Actually, according to her mother she was a little trouble maker, according to Lucy, she likes the food and smells of the Hospital.
     "So she's a not a full masochist, but partially?" I mused.
     Of course, I didn't start the conversation with Lucy about another patient! Lucy just happened to guess that I was thinking about Sally and told me about how she liked the Hospital.
     "I mean, I'd call her a full one," Lucy laughed.
     It was strange, hearing her laugh. According to Christopher "Toes" Miles, she hadn't laughed since her parents went missing.
     "When she said you'd be different, she wasn't kidding," he had said the first time she had laughed.
     Kyle was healed and out of the Hospital. And Lucy...? Well, she was amazingly intuitive.
     Over the week, every time I visited, she was sitting on the edge of the bed as if waiting for me, and in the middle of the week, after Kyle was discharged, she gave me her first warning.
     "I'm sorry," she muttered as I checked her over.
     "For what?"
     "I don't know. Aren't you having a bad day? It seems like you're having a bad day."
     I hadn't really thought of it until I was called to Emergency because a child was involved in an MVA. A child I wasn't able to save.
     I went back to standing at her door after I called the time of death for a six-year-old boy, and when I leant against the frame, she looked up at me.
     "Now it's been a bad day?" she asked me.
     I nodded.
     "Did you need a hug?"
     I chuckled but gave her a cuddle anyway. It was actually rather relaxing, having the feeling of the familiar warmth of a living human child in my arms. Lucy even wrapped her arms around me. It surprised me how someone so intuitive felt so comfortable with her neck so close to me.

     She trusts you... she knows she can trust you. I thought.
     "You can't save us all, Lizzie," Lucy had whispered softly.
     "Maybe not," I responded and looked up at her television, it was playing Disney's Hercules. "But I will try my absolute best to save you."
     "I know you will."
     I had gone home that day and had talked to Igor about her talents, the next day he came in to see her, and brought her a gift as he used to for Mary Alice.
     "You brought me something," she had said with a smile. "And not just your handsome husband for me to look at."
     Igor and I had laughed at her, and she smiled weakly. She held her hand out and he gave her the box.
     "Can you guess what's inside of it first?" Igor pushed. "Think of it as a game."
     Inside was one of my painting of an ocean.
     She looked between us, trying to hide a smile, she shook the box. Her brow muscles pulled together softly.
     "A folded up painting."
     Oh my goodness.
     She opened it and her eyes watered when she unfolded the art.
     "It's beautiful, you have an amazing hand, Doc," she said looking at me.
     "How'd you know it was me?" I asked.
     "You didn't?"
     "Oh no, I did. I just wanted to know how you knew."
     "You seem like the artistic type."
     Igor laughed at that one but I had kept my eye on her, she had called me 'Doc'. She hadn't called me Doctor since our first meeting.
     "Doctor?" She muttered, looking at the painting again. Her tone was more afraid than before.
     "Lucy, are you okay?" I asked her.
     "Something tells me that I'm going to have a bad day today."
     Igor stopped laughing and watched her.
     "Okay," I assured her. "I'll make sure to stay close. If you need me I'll be right there."
     She had been right then as well. She'd began coughing up blood at noon and was back in her ICU room by three.
     A few days later, I had some new patients and Lucy remained in the ICU due to needing to wait for the infusion she needed and donors she needed, coming over from Vancouver.
     "They'll arrive today," she muttered, tired, to me that Sunday morning. I couldn't blame her, at that moment, the machines were keeping her alive and hospital sanitisation was keeping her healthy.
     She was right again. We were able to organise a STAT infusion for leucocytes and book a STAT bone-marrow replacement, which I would not be doing, but another specialised Doctor would.
     "She's definitely talented," Igor said as we both sat there over a file of a new patient we shared. A ten-year-old tried to OD and hang themselves. The hanging attempt failed and they broke their legs when they fell from the balcony. "Lucy. But perhaps not so much as Mary?"
     "No, she doesn't get visions as your Mary did," I informed Igor. "It's just, a feeling she gets. Like a feeling that something is wrong or right. A feeling that something is going to happen. It's all instinctual."
     "But it's powerful. I wonder if she'll figure us out."
     "I hope not, at least not so soon. I like this town."
     "Me, too."
     I kissed him over the table, igniting a quietened flame in my chest, making me want to pin him to the chair he sat on, mount him, and do unspeakable things to my husband in the middle of the Hospital Doctors Lounge.
     "Lizzie!" Neurologist Clare Moore called as she ran in. "Remember that k-oh, sorry. Am I interrupting?"
     "What am I remembering?" I asked, tearing myself away from Igor and looking at her. Igor chuckled and stood.
     "That kid from a few nights ago? Turns out that he was an American who kayaked his sister over here just to see a Canadian Doctor," she gushed.
     "Alright."
     "And he died, in transit to the police station. Thyroid Storm they say."
     "I knew there was something wrong with him-"
     "Liz," Igor said softly, sitting down again and taking my hand. "There was nothing you could have done differently. You did all you could do considering the circumstances."
     "Definitely," Clare pushed. "I would have just frozen up if it had been me. Anyway, get this, they found his sister, dead as well, on the boat a few days after. But she had died from suicide, not from any illness or anything-"
     "Anything that leads to suicide has mental illness backgrounds," I stated and looked at my psychiatric husband. He smirked at me. "Thanks for letting me know though. At least they're in a better place."
     "Yeah, with free health care. Not that they'll need it."
     I rolled my eyes at her bad attempt at a joke and got going with my day.