Monster

"THE NURSE WHO IS GOING TO GET ME READY FOR SURGERY IS NEW. Her name is Becca," Lucy SAID. "I'm going to ask if I can go for a walk before I go in. To go outside, I'm going to get her to leave me alone for a bit-"
     "And that's where we come in? To steal you away like a couple of criminals?" I asked through clenched teeth.
     "Can you think of another way to get me out of my killer surgery? A legal way? A way that doesn't reveal that you're not dead?"

     No.
     "We'll see you out there," Igor said.
     "Wait. Serious? You promise?" Lucy asked, her eyes shining in excitement and her weak heart racing.
     "You have our word."
     I put my wig and contacts back in when a nurse turned down the corridor muttering about Lucy.
     "Are those irritating?" Lucy asked me as I blinked the contacts into position.
     "Very."
     "We'll see you soon, Lu." Igor kissed her head as he walked to the door.
     I stared at Lucy as she did me, a soft smile on her lips as she watched me. I didn't even know what was going through my head... didn't know if I ever would, at least until it was all over. And that was very dangerous for her.
     "You won't regret it," Lucy promised me.
     "We'll see you soon," I said before leaving. I didn't kiss her goodbye, didn't give her a hug. I just left.
     We were already down the corridor when Becca walked into Lucy's room.
     "Ready to go?" Becca asked.
     "Can I go for a walk first?" Lucy asked, sounding so much weaker than she had when we were in there. "You know, see everything for the last time?"
     "Don't think like that Lucy-"
     "Please?"
     And that was it. Poor Becca. I was happy I didn't know the girl, then I may have felt some guilt for the guilt and worry we were about to put on her.
     The moment it was safe, I tore off the wig and took out the contacts. Igor and I ditched the car at Carlisle's and ran back to the Hospital. From the other side of the garden, we could see Lucy sitting in her wheelchair, eyes closed, face up to the cloudy sky. The nurse was with her.
     "Could I have a moment alone, please? Trust me, I'm not going anywhere," Lucy said. "I'd die if I did."
     "I'll be back to take you in, in five minutes, okay?" Becca said and walked off.
     Lucy raised her hand, palm forward, except I knew her. I knew that she was telling us to wait. Even as she rotated her hand so the palm was facing the sky, she was still telling us to wait.
     Then Esme joined us.
     "You two are doing this?" She asked. "Will you take her back to our house?"
     "Edward would love that," I said sarcastically.
     "It's the first place they'll check," Igor stated.
     "Your house?" Esme asked.
     "Second place they'll check."
     "Then where?"
     "We know a good cave that's been useful to us in the past," I stated and Igor looked at me with a grin.
     "Well good luck, both of you."
     She kissed our cheeks before running off.
     Just as Esme's footsteps faded away, Lucy's hand finally closed and it was time to work.
     It was only too easy to disconnect her drip from her cannula. I didn't even bother closing the bag as Igor picked her up and we just, ran.
     It was too easy to find the familiar path between the Hospital and the cave, and once there Igor quickly set her down. She looked more grey than when she was in the chair.
     "I think my stomach is still at the Hospital," she groaned and laid down. "That was fast. That was really, really fast." She laughed. It was a tired, belly-laugh. One of pure joy where there would be screams shortly.
     "Miss Elizabeth," Igor said quietly beside me. "Are you-"
     "I can do it," I said looking at her, laying on the dirt. Laughing still from the speed. "Just, stay with me?"
     "Always."
     I never was a nervous being. I wasn't nervous during my first patient, or my first case... of course, there are always first-day jitters when I start a new job but not deep, to the core, muscles tightening, holding your breath, am-I-sick-or-just-nervous, jumpy, on edge, good-lord-I'm-making-a-horrible-mistake, type nervous.
     None of my limbs were working. I stood there, listening to the sound of Lucy's weak, beating heart. Lub-dub. Lub-dub. Lub-dub. It was surprisingly calm as she watched me, I couldn't even imagine what I looked like. Probably just a very scared statue.