Obsessed with a Memory

ESME DIDN'T RETURN TO SCHOOL FOR ANOTHER WEEK AFTER SHE BROKE HER LEG, but it didn't matter. Time had become relevant again, seeing a smile on Carlisle's face again. There were days he'd stand in the shadows of Columbus, watching her.
     Igor and I were with him, the day she returned to school after her leg.
     She had sat under a tree in the sun and looked up to the clear blue sky. That's how she was as Verity approached her.
     "You two can hunt," Carlisle muttered to me.
     Igor chuckled. "I'm too curious to discover if Esme will know what Verity is," he said.
     I just shook my head and watched with the men as Verity stood in front of Esme.
     "Hello," we could hear Verity said softly.
     How obvious it was to our eyes, that she was different. Even from the distance, we were at, we could see the faintest of her shines in the sun, dimmed to a mere shimmer in comparison to us. But still obvious enough to be different.
      Esme's eyes opened and she gasped, staring at Verity.
     "Who are you?" Esme asked.
     "I'll let you figure that one out. This is a gift, from one dreamer to another," Verity said, holding out the scrapbook. Esme took it slowly, cautiously. "Think of it as a, sorry you broke your leg but we hope you feel better soon type thing. Bye."
     Verity began to walk away and Esme started flipping through the scrapbook. Her smile grew to her eyes before her face went blank and she looked up at the retreating figure of Verity.
     "Sixteen-fifty-eight," Esme muttered. "You're their daughter, aren't you?"
     Verity turned to look back at Esme. Esme was still close enough to see Verity as she mouthed to her, "last page".
     Esme flipped to the last page.
     "What's on the last page?" Igor asked and Carlisle looked at me.
     "Um... I don't know. Nothing? I didn't put anything on the last page," I stated, but then started to smirk myself. "But Verity did."
      Esme grinned and chuckled, closing the scrapbook, holding it to her chest and looking back to Verity.
     Verity winked at Esme before turning back around, throwing her bag over her shoulder.
     "I suppose we'll find out, this afternoon," I muttered and looked back to Esme's smile. She was still grinning as she flipped through the scrapbook.
    She closed it again and slipping it into her bag, only to hold the bag tightly to her chest. Her head to the sky, eyes closed.
     "From one dreamer to another," Esme said to the sky.
     "Esme! There you are!" a friend of Esme's cried out, waving to her. "We were looking everywhere for you!"
     "Were you just talking to Victoria Fulmer?" another friend asked.
     "Thank you, sister," Esme said to the sky, before looking at her friends. "Yeah, she gave me a get well card."
     "Well, that was... nice... of her."
     The girls giggled and helped Esme stand.
     "You're most certainly welcome," I responded to Esme and began walking away from the school with Igor.
     After a few steps, I stopped to turn back to Carlisle.
     "This is Colorado, Carlisle, a van isn't going to slip on ice and crush her. She's going to be fine." He looked at me over his shoulder, worry in his eyes. "You need to hunt. Two-hundred years of control or not, you cannot risk being near to her in your state."
     Carlisle kept looking at me with his black eyes. Darkened from the emergency surgery he had to perform an hour before sunrise.
     "You know I'm right."
     Carlisle looked back to Esme and her friends briefly, before sighing heavily and walking through us and into the woods.
     Igor chuckled again. "He's worse than Edward," he whispered.
     "You cannot talk. Don't think I don't know you stalked me every day and night until I moved in with you," I hissed.
     He laughed and I ran after Carlisle.
     "What if a bear rampages the school ground and she cannot run away fast enough because of her leg?" Carlisle asked as I walked up to him.
     "It's winter, Carlisle, the bears are asleep."
     "What if a wolf pack rampages the school grounds and she cannot run away fast enough because of her leg?"

     Wow... Igor smirked as he walked past me. "Carlisle, you know as well as I do that wolves are not going to rampage Esme's school."
     "We don't know that-"
     "Verity would have said something-"
     "What if Verity is attending the school because she saw Esme's death by wolves-"
     "Carlisle, if you're that afraid of wolves eating your future bride we can run a little further into the woods and hunt a few packs. Would that make you feel better? Knowing that there are fewer predators out to get her?"
     Carlisle looked guiltily away from us as Igor chuckled.
     "You, shut it," I hissed to my husband. "Carlisle. I get it, really, I do. But you have got to remember that she has lived this part of her life before, and she made it through perfectly unharmed... excluding the broken leg, which, she conveniently let happen to her again. Though, even that in itself makes sense."
     "She could hardly remember her broken leg-"
     "Don't fool yourself, brother," Igor laughed again. "When she broke her leg was probably the one point of her mortal life she remembered most strongly."
     "Now, come, stop being so dramatic. You're reminding me of Edward," I stated and walked forward.
     Carlisle smiled as I walked past him, following Igor slowly. I looked over my shoulder when I heard Carlisle, his hands were back in his pockets and grinning.
     "I'm reminding myself of Edward," Carlisle admitted.
     The three of us laughed as we ran further into the woods. Easing Carlisle's mind we found a pack of wolves, resting after a meal.
     Taking the pack down was almost too easy, except I noticed that after two wolves, Carlisle had stopped and was staring at one of them. Igor and I finished them off... well, we didn't finish them. I realised the fur colour of the wolf he was staring at and stopped Igor. The other wolves ran off.
     "Carlisle," I approached my brother only to kneel and closed the visible eye of the russet-coloured wolf. "Carlisle, you didn't kill Jacob Black. He's not going to be alive for a century."
     Carlisle didn't move as his brows pulled together, watching the corpse of the wolf.
     "Hunting wolves is off the table, then?" Igor asked.
     "Sorry," Carlisle sighed. "Jake... Jacob... he was a son-"
     "Technically he was a grandson," I chirped. "In-law, too. Well, not legally."
     "He was family," Carlisle finished while scowling at me.
     "He will be family," Igor corrected him. "Now, let's go find an animal that isn't a distant mythical relative of a family member."
     "You two don't think of Lucy? Or Demetri?" Carlisle asked.
     I looked at Igor as he did of me. Yes, we thought of Demetri and Lucy. In fact, there was currently a young patient in the hospital that was reminding me every day of Lucy... but this patient I couldn't do anything for.
     "We have it easy, for Demetri at least," Igor muttered. "He's alive, but he hasn't lived through what he needs to be with us again."
     "Until he does, he is exactly who he was before he was a Farkas," I finished. "Just with some allies, he didn't have last time."
     "Lucy... is a different story."
     "I see Lucy every day at work. In every patient I know is dying of illnesses humankind does not understand yet" I added. "As you do, with every patient experiencing flu-like symptoms or a patient that has come in after surviving an animal attack. Focus on the future and what it holds, brother. Things will be different this time around, yes, but that does not mean it will not be similar. Miss them, love them, but move on and move forward. Because until they're of age, there is nothing we can do."
     "Which one of you is the psychiatrist?" Carlisle asked.
     Igor kissed my temple before running off.
     "Hurry up, you two! I'm still parched!" he yelled while running off.