Broken Pieces - Johann's POV

WHEN I FINISHED PREPARING THE HOUSE TO LEAVE, I returned to the window to check my suspicions. The three London vampires were still there.
     "What are they waiting for?" I asked.
     "Miss Elizabeth," Igor answered. "They must be waiting to see her reaction."
     I had to laugh at that.
     "Well, here is what is going to happen," I started. "She is going to get home with Verity, get angry at your destroyed car, come in and kiss you. She'll say she loves you and ask if we want to move to America. I want to see New York."
     "Do you see the future, newborn?" the woman asked.
     "No, I just know their relationship."
     The woman and the younger male laughed.
     "You do not have much else to do when you are spending all your time trying to not run to the closest city to... so you start noticing things."
     "Like?" the older man asked.
     "Things that only a member of the family would notice. If they pay close enough attention. Things that tell me that Igor could have killed all of London, and even though it is her home, Elizabeth would not have cared. From what I have seen from their love during my year is that it means more than what it does to humans."
     "He's very observant for a newborn, isn't he?" the older man asked.
     "He is," Igor responded.
     Just at that moment, the sound of another vehicle pulled towards the house.
     "Here she comes," the woman said and laughed.
     "Nervous, Igor?" the younger man asked.
     "He has no cause to be," I reminded him, and them.
     Verity was the first to get out of Elizabeth's car. She was out before it stopped and her eyes were straight on Igor's car. I could have sworn her halfbreed heart sped up. If it were possible.
     "Daddy?" she called.
     Her eyes rested on me and I nodded in a way that I hope was encouraging. Saying he was okay without actually saying anything. Though her eyes were not afraid, she was worried.
     "Father," Elizabeth said as she got out of her car and Verity ran into the house and saw her father sitting at the kitchen table. "Why did you break my husband's car?"
     She approached the older male, arms crossed, stubborn looking. Yes, I could see the resemblance in their features.
     "He deserved it-"
     I failed at suppressing the chuckle that escaped when Elizabeth's slap sent her father back into the tree line.
     "You owe him a new vehicle, father," she said before she joined us inside.
     I noticed that once she walked in, she looked at me first, smiled then winked, then quickly ran to her husband. "There is nothing in all of time that he could have done to deserve being attacked."
     Elizabeth kissed Igor. It was only a short kiss, but a kiss they usually shared when Verity and I were both in the room with them. She quickly pulled back only to pull him into a tight embrace.
     "I love you, Igor," she said. "I don't care how many people you kill, you are my Igor. My husband. I love you." She kissed him again and then sat beside him, holding his hand. She ran her spare hand through his hair and beard. "How about we go back to the states? I know Carlisle would love to see you again."
     "Your newborn is very insightful," the woman said.
     "I am not, ma'am," I said. "I just know their relationship."
     "So, America?" Elizabeth asked again.
     "America," Igor agreed.
     Elizabeth turned to me with a smile. "And I believe you said that you wanted to see New York, Johann?" she asked.
     I only nodded.
     "We can check on Vera for Rosalie," Verity added.
     Igor chuckled. "You want to do something for Rosalie?" he asked.
     "She's a bitch, but she's still family."
     Her parents laughed.
     "You shout quote that to her."
     "Not going to happen, Dad."
     Verity kissed her father then ran upstairs.
     "Let's get moving!" she yelled. "Think we can move near a beach this time? I miss water that doesn't feel like ice."
     "We'll see," Elizabeth responded.
     "What's that look, Miss Elizabeth?" Igor said, pulling my attention back to them.
     I couldn't see Elizabeth's face properly from where I was, but with the amazing new vision, I could see her curved reflection in the mirror of Igor's red eyes. She looked deep in thought.
     "I think I might try something new this time," she pondered. "Still medicine, but not Paediatrics."
     "What are you thinking?" Igor asked.
     "Oncology, maybe? Or Infectious Diseases?"
     "What is oncology?" I asked.
     "Cancer study," Verity answered, rejoining us with a bag filled with stuff. "Or the study of tumours. So, cancer."
     "That sounds disgustingly interesting."
     Igor and Verity laughed.
     "Oncology is it," Elizabeth said, smiling at me. "Disgustingly interesting. Hm... We'll have to see."
     "Oncology... you wouldn't happen to be trying to be more prepared for a particular little girl, would you?" Igor asked.
     Elizabeth didn't answer straight away. Which at first confused me, because she always answered his questions. Then she kissed his head and got up to walk away. His expression told me that it was exactly the answer he needed. Though I didn't know it.
     "I'll explain it to you later," Verity said as she put her bags down.