Remember Mary

MARY STOOD HER GROUND, refusing to take my advice to sit. Her family, my family, moved closer to her.
     "Well, you born in Biloxi, Mississippi in 1901 to a jeweller, pearl trader and his wife. You had a younger sister, Cynthia, and even though she was nine years younger than yourself, you were very close. Your family owned a small orchard that your mother attended too while looking after you two girls. Your premonitions... you've had them your whole life. Though, not as strong or defined as they are now. Your parents seemed to find your gifts amusing at first but as you grew older and the town became afraid of your premonitions, your parents tried to teach you how to hide them. By ten-years-old, the ones you did talk about became true so often that people talked, began calling you witch, so your mother told you to never speak of your premonitions. You taught yourself to block them out and ignore them which didn't always work. More than a few times, for your own heart, and so the premonition never came to pass, you were compelled to speak and after a lot of very bad incidents, the town started blaming you. By eighteen you were called more names than just witch. When you were sixteen you had seen a premonition of your mothers murder and for months your parents had been on edge, every day your father had checked where you had seen the crime go down, or so he said and he never saw anything and so he never trusted you again. Of course, though, once everybody's guards were down, your mother was murdered a different way, and you had a premonition of it but too late. You couldn't save her and you carried that unnecessary guilt with you until your dying day.
     "Your father re-married quite soon after her death, his new wife was a cruel woman to you. Yet you always stayed bright. The cruelty of your step-mother worried you but your father never listened. At eighteen, your premonitions told you that it was, in fact, your father that was not to be trusted. You tried to turn to anyone you could think of to listen, but who would trust a witch? You were thrown into a small, dank, off the map asylum, two states away and were forced to endure electro-shock therapy only because your father would constantly check that you were, being taken care of, and I don't mean that the nice way. The therapy is why you cannot remember your human life. The vampire who ran the asylum watched over you and hated every second of your, treatment. He always tried to help you remember, hoped you'd never forget, and you trusted him, no matter what he did to you.
     "When he discovered your talents he started to play games, encouraging them. Bringing gifts and making you guess them. He also had you looking out for someone, keeping an eye on them for him. I did discourage him not to do that, your visions of vampires back then, hurt you, lowered your pulse, made you almost dead. Yet, I know he did it anyway."
     "He was making me check on you, wasn't he?" Mary gave a small chuckle.
    "Yes. Then you saw the tracker coming for you and knew you'd die one way or the other. But we protected you, tried to anyway. I tried to take the guilt from you, make your father feel the guilt that you felt and you saw me do it, successfully."
     "Did you?" Mary gasped.
     "No. I, ah, couldn't. After watching him, hiding the shadows I learnt that he was already guilty. He had a picture of you, Cynthia and your mother in his desk at work so his new wife would never see it. He would sit on the bench in your garden every morning as he drank his morning coffee, regretting the choices he had made to get to where he was. And then very soon after, while I was watching, I saw him become protective of your sister when she started knowing things before they happened."
     "My sister was like me?"
     "She was not as powerful as you. I don't believe she ever saw anything, just knew. By the time I returned to the asylum, the vampire had already bitten you. He had tried to find every possible option to keep your human, but every one led to his death and your own. The only option was to change you. You woke, alone and in pain with no memory of your human life because your mind registered the change with the therapy. You know the rest. Remember though, Mary Alice, that the only reason he left you alone is because you saw it that way. You never saw him nor I in your future, so we stayed out of it."
    "You didn't try to change it?" She asked.
    "You didn't want us too. The future you saw for yourself once you were immortal, someone you saw in your future, waiting for you but yet not waiting for you, you were excited about that life you didn't want anything to change how you saw your meeting, and we honoured those wishes."
     "Thank you," Jasper said softly.
     "I saw Jaz while human?" Mary asked, grinning but looking at little embarrassed.
     "I drew you a picture once, before I left for your father, of a vision you had, dancing with him on a beach. I wish I still had that picture but it burnt in the flames that took the asylum and nearly took the vampires life."
     "That was when you left Edward and I in a rush, wasn't it?" Esme asked with a soft smirk.
     "Yes."
     "He's your husband, isn't he?" Mary asked, looking at my left hand. "The vampire that changed me, the saved me. He's your husband?"
     "Yes."
     "So... he's here? In Nanaimo? I can meet him?"
     "Yes."
     She laughed in excitement before it was cut off abruptly.
     "Someone's coming," she stated.
     "Who?" Jasper asked her.
     "I don't know. Jake and Nessie are in the way."
     I quickly looked around for the wolf and the half-breed I had been so excited to meet, but they weren't in the room. And I couldn't hear any heartbeats, so they must have been out... but close enough to affect Mary's vision of whoever was approaching.
     Then we heard the steps
     "Argah," I grumbled.
     "He's coming for me," Mary whimpered.
     "Alice, you know your past now. You don't have to go with him," Jasper pleaded.
     Mary Alice looked from him to me, something in her eyes... the window was still open behind them. She wanted to know more.
     "Elizabeth, is it?" She started. "I'm sorry and thank you for everything. It's not that I don't trust you or believe you, but I have to know. Jasper-"
     "He will kill you, Mary Alice," I said quickly. "If you want to make sure your past I tell you is true, let me get Igor. It won't take long-"
     "Should have known you'd be here, Elizabeth Cullen," Argah snarled, now in view. He spat my birth name. "Oh, my apologies." His eyes were on my hand. "There's a new title now, is there?"
     "Cullen?" Carlisle repeated in a breath.
     "Hello, Argah," I sighed.
     "Please," he said now looking at my brothers family. His eyes were as black as the night sky. "Whatever she has told you is a lie. She works with mortal children, their sicknesses and imagination got to her head centuries ago. She's mad and her visions are not to be trusted. Miss Alice, shall we go?"
     "Can I say goodbye?" Mary asked him.
     "There is no time for goodbyes-"
     I grabbed the arm holding Mary and he glared at me. Firey hatred in his black eyes. I would have loved it if he tried to tear my arm off.
     "There is always time for goodbyes," I hissed.
     "Not how I work. Besides, she'll see him again. I promise. Come now, Alice."
     They left and I watched after them.