「78th period」: combat time

K A R M A   A K A B A N E
赤羽
student no. 1

season 2 episode 18

I get it...

So he was blending in with Karasuma-sensei. The only one to use Self-Defense Force camo—and he waited for his prey at the perfect snipping point.

I could hear the audible footsteps of Maehara as he snuck up on me, not moving an inch, I aimed the knife at his head.

I knew they'd try something like this so I acted like I was distracted.

Well, since Maehara still hasn't noticed Iroha's presence just above him, the girl would have killed him otherwise.

Hiroto Maehara: Dead

"That's why I get so antsy—because he pulls stunts like that" I muttered, pertaining to Nagisa.

「Karma」 Iroha called my name softly, through the microphone.

I wasn't stupid enough not to know that Iroha was a double edged sword.

Her balance was amazing. She had all she needed: a talent at parkour, experience in combat and sense in marksmanship. With the right mind she could calmly analyze and mask her bloodlust, making her perfect for hiding.

But the problem was how she did things her own way; she had her own methods, her own strategies. Iroha had a mind of her own, and she worked best alone. Thus why I didn't make her work with the others.

I was crazy not to use her at offense, but I knew better than to sacrifice her in the battlefield. Knowing her condition, despite her skill she didn't have the sufficient stamina to go with it.

I was saving the best card for last, so when we agreed on becoming a tag team, I kept all that in mind. After all, managing to escape that clinic of theirs took talent.

Nagisa was gifted in assassination, hands down. But if it was just about plunder and getting away with it, Iroha would be miles better.

「I'll head out now」she told me.

Time to go with the plan, then.

I walked towards the middle of the battlefield, searching for Nagisa. He's moved already? I examined, seeing he's already hiding by now.

"Nagisa-kun! Put down the gun and come on out! We'll settle with these!" I shouted, raising my knife up.

He won't shoot, I bet on the possibility.

Even if he did, I trusted Iroha to handle the rest from here, that or the team will be hard-pressed to accept the way we lost.

✖︎︎●✖︎

He's a harmless little mouse, making him one of the few people a combative guy like me didn't have to be careful around.

But looking back, I put that distance between us because there was already a part if him back then that made me uneasy.