「71st period」: past time

K A R M A   A K A B A N E
赤羽
student no. 1

season 2 episode 15-16

He grew up trusting only in death.

Born in the ugly world of the slums the only truth he could rely on, even as a child, was that if you kill people, they die.

So, he chose the path of an assassin

It was his calling. The mighty, he killed with knowledge. The intelligent, he killed with strength and skill. Those gifted with both, he enticed with his personal magnetism. When he had killed a thousand victims, he was given the nickname 'the Reaper'.

◎◎◎︎◎◎

Generating antimatter within life: That was the core of Yanagisawa's research. He'd splice the particle acceleration cycle needed to create antimatter into the life cycle, starting up the cells' engines with that colossal energy.

After he had spent about 3 months in that place, the killer and the teacher were as open to each other as old friends.

She was to be living sacrifice.

The Reaper was turning into something that wasn't human, and though she senses these things, she asks no unnecessary questions.

She just looks straight ahead and smiles peacefully. Like always.

The legendary killer, who'd never shown himself to anyone, knew for the first time the happiness in being seen.

The seasons changed yet again. Her new batch of students met as Class 3-E of Kunugigaoka Junior High... two weeks before the crescent moon came to be.

◎◎◎︎◎◎

Antimatter: a mere 0.1 gram puts off as much energy as an atomic bomb. Yanagisawa's research had enabled continuous generation by splicing the antimatter particle acceleration cycle into a living being. Legendary assassin, the Reaper, spent his days undergoing these experiments.

The antimatter energy that had begun circulating within his body had replaced his body tissue with tough and flexible structures. Yanagisawa called them "tentacles" and, fearing them, reinforced the restraint table, and left the dangerous monitoring entirely to Yukimura Aguri.

And so she knew. She knew the Reaper, knew neither his real name, nor the day he was born, and that his kind words and smiles were studied--- as means to a kill.

And he knew. He knew there was no love between her and her fiancé, Yanagisawa, and that she had a little sister, a keen actor, of whom she was proud.

It had already been nearly a year since the two had met. Along the way, this room had become a space for them to chat.

Before he knew it, his false smile had become the real thing.

The first time they touched was three hours before the crescent moon came to be.

She had seen everything. Seen everything and was curious about it all. But her being there, seeing me... That's something I hadn't seen.