「63rd period」: gamble time

K A R M A A K A B A N E
赤羽
student no. 1

season 2 episode 13

Iroha was frightened.

She put up a good front, but I've gotten so used to reading her, I could already see it in her eyes. She looked so scared, that it seemed like she'd cry anytime.

I doubt that she was terrified for the octopus, though. And that just proves how attached she is with the Asanos.

This is no time to get jealous, I warned my sub conscience.

"N-No..." I could hear her mumble, averting my attention. "Call it off. Please call it off".

"Iroha" I tapped her shoulder, and she immediately flinched. She was tense.

"K-Karma...".

"You look as if it's your life on the line" I told her.

"But the principle---" she muttered, looking back into the room.

To run inside or to freeze in shock? What was it that she really wanted?, I wondered, seeing Iroha in her current state.

The octopus and the chairman decided on a small gamble. With five subjects' worth of test questions and five hand grenades, Korosensei had to work on four of them which had anti-sensei grenades and the principal had to work on the other, with an actual grenade.

Despite the 20% chance that the octopus were to die, Iroha here was way more anxious for the chairman.

She held unto my sleeve, cold hands clinging tightly.

Damn. What else could I do?

Seeing as our teacher has taken damage from the first grenade, the principal faced our teacher, "Now, Korosensei... be a cornerstone of my philosophy".

But it wasn't the octopus' dripping mucus from the damage that caught our attention, it was the next thing he did; Being unpredictable as usual, the octopus flips the next book and tapes on the answer with Mach speed.

I see why Iroha's been so worried. She actually had faith in the octopus. She knew that monster was not a comparison to a superhuman.

"There. Opened, solved and closed! I more or less remember which questions are on each page in this particular series of textbooks," Korosensei tells him, pointing at the the rest of the books, "Math was the only challenge. I'd lent that one out to a student for so long that I'd forgotten".

At that second, the principal seemed quite taken aback.

"You just happened to have memorized the books I just happened to bring?" He asked.

"Heavens, no!" Korosensei cleared up, "I've memorized all of Japan's test books".

"No moving out of the blast radius until you've solved the problem'? A rule like that is no trouble for a passionate educator. Here I thought you understood me, but it seems your students' defeat has unnerved you" the octopus mocked.