「53rd period」: review time

K A R M A A K A B A N E
赤羽
student no. 1

Iroha entered the classroom, with an aura much different than usual. It's just been a few days since then, and the girl already looked like she went to hell and back.

To start of, it looked like she just rose from the dead, her skin was pale, and there were bags under her eyes. But I couldn't help but mess with her.

"You seem exhausted, Iroha-chan~" I teased her

"You seem exhausted, Iroha-chan~" I teased her. "Don't tell me, everything you told Asano was all talk".

"Honestly, it was. It's amusing to get people riled up, but, I didn't think it'd be this bad" she mumbled, the air around her becoming heavier.

"Then, just give up~" I taunted.

"No way" she laid her head on her desk. "I plan on doing my part. I'll defeat Gakushuu even if that means taking the spot from you. It's the least I could do as his childhood friend".

"When she wants something, she really does everything to get it, huh?" Nagisa noted.

"I guess" I agreed, noticing that irritating feeling gnawing me inside.

"To be honest, I didn't take her as a person who's dedicated to her friends or something" Kayano butted in, pointing out how Iroha's been doing things for Asano's sake.

"But some things never change" Sugino deadpanned, looking at the girl who's been fast asleep.

✖︎●✖︎

With everyone busy for the finals, the last person I expected to go home early to study, was definitely Iroha.

More like, we've been walking home together so often, that I forgot how it's like to walk home alone. Then again, I was lucky enough to find another source of amusement.

"This is rare~" I remarked, seeing two particular people talking to each other.

"Ah, hey, Karma" Hikaru greeted me, as the two continued to block the gates.

"You guys are blocking the way, you know~" I told the two before Okuda stammered.

"S-Sorry".

"It's fine~" I assured her, turning to the blonde, "but Hikaru, if you're searching for Iroha, she already went ahead so---".

"Ah, no I'm not. I was about to head to the library with Okuda-san" he clarified.

I didn't know what face to put on.

Somehow, I just felt bad for Okuda.

"It's not what your thinking, she's just helping me out with the exam" he told me flatly, as if he knew what was going on in my mind.

"She doesn't know about the other you, does she?" I asked him, in a whisper.

If I remembered correctly, Hikaru and I had a clash of personalities, and Nagisa always served as the person who stopped us.

Seeing him with Okuda, though, was an entirely different picture. It was like seeing a lion and it's prey.

"I'd very much like to keep it that way" he smiled.

"I see~ You two wouldn't mind if I join you on your way home then?" I asked them, I've been meaning to ask the guy a certain question after all.

"Sure".

We walked around in silence, for a bit, and I started to wonder how the two managed to settle with this much awkwardness.

"So, Okuda-san, you're helping him out, huh?~" I trailed off.

"Mhm" the girl nodded.

"I was going to ask you and Iroha first. But I couldn't even find you" Hikaru told me. "Then somehow Okuda-san offered".

"Failing Science again, I see" I smirked. "For someone who's good at both English and Japanese, I thought for sure that you could do the same to all the other subjects".

"Shut up" he brushed me off. "Unlike you or that girl, I'm absolutely normal".

"Iroha-chan seems a lot like you though" Okuda pointed out, to which even I had to agree. They both hated studying, to such an extent.

"Hm? What are you two talking about? That girl's a genius" he gave off a confused expression. "That was a long time ago but I don't think she'll change in such lengths...".

"What do you mean?~" I asked.

"It's like I said. She could do anything she wants when it comes to it".

"That makes me a little curious you know" I warned him.

"Mhm. U-Um... Ishikawa-kun" Okuda turned to him, "if you don't mind me asking... Just what is your relationship with Iroha-chan?".

"Hm... Were like childhood friends, I guess? Well, unlike Asano, I've known her much later. I met her during sixth grade" he answered.

"You were classmates during sixth grade?" Okuda asked.

"How come I've never heard about that?~" I smiled menacingly.

"You never asked" he averted his eyes. "And to answer your question: No, we weren't classmates. It was Asano I was classmates with. Iroha dropped out of school after fifth grade. So let's just say that she could've spent an entire year as a shut in".

"Anyways, Asano and I used to be friends so I went to his house to finish our summer homework, and that's when I met Iroha. She isn't how she is right now though".

"You mean, she was the type that had a nonchalant expression plastered on her face, huh? That really didn't change 'till 7th grade" I stated.

"I know right" he sidetracked. "If I remembered correctly, Iroha helped me more than Asano did. Oh, and it was my first time watching Asano being told off by a girl. She tells him what formulas to use, and points out his mistakes. It was amusing, I mean, when would you see that all-As president being told off by a sixth grade drop out".

"That's all I can tell you, for now. The rest you just have to ask the girl herself" he told us.

"You didn't answer our question, though~" I reminded.

"Huh?".

"Just what is your relationship with Iroha?".

"You don't like her, do you?" Okuda mumbled.

"We're just friends" he emphasized, with a sigh. "Sometimes it's a bit more though. I'm closer to her that I am with my sister, you could say that she's kinda like a twin to me. We just get each other. But rest assured, Karma, whatever's between us is definitely platonic".