「30th period」: career time

N A G I S A S H I O T A
潮田
student no. 11

season 2 episode 9

It was reassuring to know that Iroha was on the same boat. Then again, she was someone amazing. I don't know what someone like me could possibly accomplish in the future.

No one looks like they're thinking hard, but they sure were.

Nakamura, Karma and even Terasaka all have these big plans. Yet here I was, still unable to answer Korosensei's questions.

To what end should you use your talents? And for whom?

It seems like I won't be able to answer them soon, either.

When I tried my best thinking about it, as if on timing, Mom had proposed my transfer to Class D. Naturally, I didn't want it, and Korosensei had promised to do his best during their parent-teacher conference. But that was only short lived for she was completely serious after saying that he won't oblige to my placement being in Class D as long as I don't agree to it.

As I headed home, thinking twice about how I should talk to my mother after her said outburst, I bumped into the blue haired girl, who had been cutting classes for nearly the entire week.

"Ah Nagisa, I hear that today's parent-teacher conference was a disaster" Iroha greeted me.

"So even you've heard of it, huh?" I sighed.

"Hm~ Is it that bad?" she tilted her head slightly, as she asked. "What kind of person is your mother anyways?".

Someone who controls my life better than I do.

I kept silent for a moment, not knowing whether or not I should answer the question.

"She's pretty tough. But I'm still grateful to be raised by her" I told her.

"Hm, I see" she hummed.

"You know, you also have a lot of things to worry about, Iroha-chan. At this rate, it's not impossible for Korosensei to have a parent-teacher conference with you too you know" I told her, refferring to the number of periods she skipped class, all due to that survey.

"My parents are always busy and they live abroad. I doubt, they'd even cross paths. I doubt they'd hear or care about my situation" she told me nonchalantly. "Besides, I'll most likely end up doing what they'd want me to. And I'm pretty sure that octopus would hate such a half-assed decision".

"You---".

"But you have it harder" she looked at me, and I swore that her piercing gaze must've seen through me. "I get to live my life like how I want. So, here's what I think, Nagisa".

"Of course thinking about others, and mulling over the probability of success is important. But, more than anything, you should be able to get through life without any regrets. It doesn't matter what you do or what you can do, just don't grieve over your decisions. After all talent is something you can use on anything. So when you make your choice, be sure that you'll be able to prove it".

She's right. I thought, as her short speech strengthened my resolve.

"I can't believe I'm getting told off by the girl who hasn't even passed her survey" I chuckled, teasing her playfully.

"What the hell does that mean?" She pouted. "And here I am trying to comfort you, tsk".

"Thanks, Iroha-chan" I smiled at her.

"If it's you, I'm sure you could do it" she said. "Well, if not, you could just work in the maid cafe nearby---"

"Iroha-chan!" I cut her off before she could suggest such a thing.

✖︎●✖︎

That night, I never expected my mother to abduct me and tell me to set Class E's building on fire. For the first time in my life, I was actually glad about the assassins who were after Korosensei, because if it weren't for tonight's guy, I wouldn't have been able to prove my mother wrong.

Right after my mother fainted, once her nerves calm downed, Korosensei had decided to drive us both home in her car. And now, here I was, talking to my teacher about my decision.

"So, Nagisa-kun" he asked while driving. "If you did manage to kill me, would you go on to use your talent to become an assassin?".

"Probably not" I answered him. "Talent isn't only for this or that. Even if my talent is good for assassination, I want to use it to help someone--- like how I protected Mom".

"And that's not by being an assassin" I smiled. "Way too dangerous. I'll find a career that won't worry my folks".

He nodded proudly, assuring me. "Take your time. Oh, and don't forget to make an effort to talk with your parents".

"I won't" I replied as we neared the stop light.

A second after, Korosensei was already ranting, "Sheesh, cars are slow and you have to wait for lights! How inconvenient can you get?"

I sweat dropped.

It was Korosensei's 30th weak point (: Get's testy when driving).

"Ah, speaking of which, Korosensei. With this you only have one student left for the career survey, huh?" I turned to him who just sighed in return.

"You mean, Iroha-chan?" He sighed. "Well, I don't plan on rushing her, after all, the girl's in a position as bad as yours".

"What?" I looked at him.

"It probably isn't obvious but unlike you, Iroha-chan has developed an instinct of running away when problems arise. Rather that facing things, she chooses to prolong it, and that's why I doubt that she'd give it anytime soon" he reflected.

"I've somewhat notice. I just never really gave a lot of thought into it" I agreed, before our teacher explained a bit further.

"It's probably due to her upbringing. She most likely hasn't told anyone, which is why I can't tell you yet. But Nagisa-kun, I would like to ask you and the class, to be able to be her source of support when the time comes" he told me.

"We can always get it out of her though. Nyurufufufu~".