「27th period」: experiment time

H I Y O R I     K O Z U E
   妃由

Whenever I see his face, distressed, ecstatic and stoic, I actually feel glad to see that side of him. So  by seeing how his pale face was still and emotionless, I was left with mixed emotions that gave me frogs in my stomach.

I was thankful, yes. I was so grateful for the fact the he was alive because I still owed him. I owed him a lot. I owed him his happiness, his family, his time.

If anything, I might as well have said that I owed him my life, but Haru wouldn't like that.

He was quite optimistic, this man. He truly lived up to his name that meant spring. He was my beginning. I was just hoped that this beginning won't end.

Most times I read a book while waiting, but sometimes I couldn't help but stare at the unconscious man laying in front of me.

"Ne, Haru" I told my beloved, trying my best not to burst into tears, "promise me you'll wake up alright?".

As I turned away from him, I looked at the newly bought flowers that caught my eye. The beautiful bundle dumped in the trash bin.

She must've been here, I smiled at the thought even if normally people would dislike the fact that they throw away flowers, this one was an exception.

"Haru, we're waiting".

✖︎●✖︎

The nights were getting darker.

I could hear the number of screams, the number of time the small boy begged for it to stop, but my brother remained unmoving. A stoic expression plastered on his face.

It was just like her. The familiar recollection blurred my conscience.

'Stop it' something from deep inside me thought, all thanks to the familiar situation

"Nii-sama," I called my brother. "Anymore of this and he'll break".

"You don't get it, Hiyori" he faced me, a grim expression enveloped his face. "He could die if we don't continue---".

No, I couldn't turn a blind eye. Whether we continue the experiment or not, this kid would still die at this rate.

"Sir, the cells gnawing on his brain has become a lot milder now. It seems to be taking effect, should we carry on?" one of his employees asked, cutting him off.